Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be nuts.

I have more guns than I can ever possibly wear out.

I need to pay off my credit card.

Christmas is here.

I'm beginning to think that I just have to have either a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 or one of each.

Somebody talk me out of it! Somebody please convince me that they're junk.

I heard somewhere that Ruger is getting ready to redesign the front sight and the sear somewhat.

Maybe I can wait...but no...HELP!

Somebody please tell me what's wrong with them or what I should watch out for so I won't want one.

HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP! :help:

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
with the rugers it is either a LOVE THEM or HATE THEM attitude.
I have owned 2 over the years and still own 1.
I picked up in 93 a mini-14 from the local walmart.
It shoots great. I have 20 generic 30 round mags.
They work good, which is surprising since most people say there are issues with them.
I picked up when a GOOD friend passed away, a Mini-14 GB.
It is just a MINI-14 with bayo and flash hider.

They both shoot great.
They are both blued.

My dad owns a MINI-30 RANCH in stainless.
It is nice and shoot good but this is the problem with them.
Ruger uses 308 diam barrels on the MINI-30's.
This is fine if you shoot only the winchester ammo since they use .308 diam bullets in their 7.62x39 ammo.
But if you use surplus (wolf, ect) 7.62x39 ammo then you are using a .310 or .311 diam bullet. This will work but it causes higher chamber pressure and higher barrel wear.

Basically if you are a cheap bastard then buy the MINI-14, if you got two hundred to three hundred more dollars you can buy a RRA AR-15 and be much happier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and I just read a thread on the Ruger Forums that they don't recommend the cheap Russian ammo in the Mini-30 because the hard primers will eventually bend the firing pin.

Okay, scratch the Mini-30. SKS's and AK's are more battle-ready anyway.

But when I weigh the new $600 DPMS AR-15 (with collapsible stock and flash hider) in one hand, and the Mini-14 in the other, it gets harder to resist.

In fact, does anybody have one of the new DPMS AR-15's? I'd be curious to know if they're good or junk. I grew up being taught by everyone that if it ain't Colt it ain't an AR-15, but I don't believe it anymore.

(Oh NO! More addiction! Now I want a Mini-14 AND one of the new DPMS AR's!)

I'll never get any sleep!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Jack..might as well get two..we might get a better price...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
That's really not the right one, they have a GI version (very similar) but they do not have a picture on the site yet. I really think it is a real beauty.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Try as I might, I just can't warm up to the Mini-series from Ruger. I've never seen one that is as accurate as I think it *should* be. I expect my SAR-3 to throw a 1.5-2 inch group at 50 yards-and it does. (And I'll be doing some work on the beast in the next couple months that should cut that down to about half that.) I would expect a Ruger mini-14 to do the same, but many will not.

·
Registered
369 Posts
scubadvr said:
I with you, but I want a Springfield Armory M1A1 what do you think? Jack

I have a loaded M1A and it is the pride of my collection. The mini 14 has a thin barrel that will heat up fast and the group size gets bigger, not a good thing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Dad had an M1A; it was a fine rifle but overly heavy. I want a carbine I can lug through the desert hills.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought my Mini-14 was a fun shooter, until one of the lugs on the bolt broke off. One of my buddies had his bolt self disassemble, didn't break, but little parts went everywhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Supposedly Ruger is redesigning the Mini-14 because their tooling that they used to make the old one is "worn out". I wonder if some of your experiences are due to this?

·
Registered
369 Posts
MAJOR PITA said:
Supposedly Ruger is redesigning the Mini-14 because their tooling that they used to make the old one is "worn out". I wonder if some of your experiences are due to this?
I would buy one if it would take AR15/M16 mags and had a better/thicker barrel. I can only dream.

·
Registered
33 Posts
get one, it's a fine rifle eather in .223 or 7.62 blued or ss, there is alot you can do to build on them, good luck. -JES-

·
Unclear Engineer
1,014 Posts
I have had a Mini 14 for quite a while. It is fun and reliable. At first, it was horribly inaccurate. It would climb off the paper as it warmed up. I lucked into a take off Ruger folding stock (for $35), and that (by chance) fixed the problem. It shoots 3 in groups at 100 yds. Not good, but OK. The thing I couldnt get used to was the front sight post. I replaced it with one that has ears. Basically, I took an aftermarket slip on flash hider, cut off the flash hider part and used the sight part. It is easy for me to shoot now. Great carry gun. Would be one of the last guns I would sell. Would sell my AR first.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I say pay off your credit card first. Then when you have it paid off and the money in hand go buy an AR. Cheaper mags, overwhelming accessories, and more options on how you want your gun to look. plus if you want to go the accuracy route you can get your groups as tight at your pocketbook will allow.

·
Unclear Engineer
1,014 Posts
Oh, and now is a great time to be buying one. They are out of fashion. Every gunshow I go to, there are guys trying to give them away for what would have been a great price 15 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts