Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant:

Anybody else picked this up off the magazine rack yet? I threw a copy into the cart last weekend and got around to really looking at it the last couple of days. I've re-discovered why I don't really care for gun magazines. I find I'm really too poor to own a .45. I have an RIA, but I guess it's not a REAL .45. REAL 45's cost no less than $800-1000 dollars or more for standard production pieces, and you can add on 50% to that for custom gunsmith pieces.
The REAL non-gunsmith .45 must have:
Full length recoil spring guide rod.
A "Bull Barrel" that replaces the barrel bushing.
A flat Mainspring housing.
A "Memory bump" beavertail grip safety.
Some kind of special thumb safety.
Custom sights.
A skeltonized, overtravel adjustable special trigger.
Front slide serrations.
Skeletonized hammer
Checkered front strap
Mag well funneled.
Lowered and flared ejection port.
BONUS: a rail for a "tactical" light.

The REAL gunsmith .45 will have most all this (usually) and will be hand tuned and perfect, and may feature other areas of custom checkering, custome finishes, compensators, ect. The notable exception here is Ted Yost, who turns out really super, minimalist .45's (at $1800 or so a copy or more. I'd say it's worth it though, as this guy is a real craftsman. Wish I had the money to blow on one-I'd pay it for that.)

What really hacks me off about this is I was kind of expecting to find a book of info that would be relevant to the 1911, not $8.00 worth of advertising for Kimber, S&W, SIG, STI, Wilson Combat and Springfield Armory. All the Wilson and Springfield pistols featured were, naturally, the
high end, custom shop offerings, not things mere mortals could afford. Any problems experienced were glossed over. I'll tell you, if I spent $1000 for a Wilson Combat, it had damn well better not have feeding problems out of box and a too-light trigger and have properly fitted grip safeties (all of this was mentioned in passing in the review, but glossed over and excuses made) In fact, I'd say about %80 of this offering was custom or semi-custom guns. I think it would have been more fair to call this " The Book of the 1911 snob".
:rant:

EDITED TO ADD:
I realize that some of this stuff is a real boon to 1911 shooters, especially the sights and other things that make the pistol more shootable, but a lot of it is fluff too, and it seems that the pistol industry has fads just like the womens shoe industry. Light rails on a 1911? Why?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
And to top it off ..... You go into a gun shop where they sell $1500 hipo 1911's and they'll have 1 or 2 used factory stock beater guns for $750!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well 1911 are kinda like AK's. If your not in the loop then your going to pay high prices for the good ones and be lost in there world. Were in the Ak loop. We know how to build them cheap, And have this great web site to help out with the technical mumbo jumbo.
So there are great 1911 web sites out there, That can help with the building of some nice .45's. You can buy 0% to 80% lowers at good prices (75$ to 200$) with all kinda arrangements(steel, stainless, etc.). And there are alot of video's and books out there to help too. The biggist draw back would be that you need to do some mill work on the frame. And there are alot of parts kits out there, Just like the AK.

80% Frame links

http://www.tanneryshop.com/

Video's links

http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/Sale.htm

Web page's
http://www.1911forum.com/
http://forum.m1911.org/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dont get hung up on what a book tells you a 1911 is supposed to be. Put together a mil spec from an 80% frame, some drop in parts ,and then break it in at the range.Its worth more than any Kimber,Springfield,or whatever else is out there with the front serations,skeleton hammer or the rest of the options!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
I assembled a stainless .45 once, and have a ww2 gi colt. the only thing you really need is a fist full of loaded clips!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
IF you really want a 1911 and can do the work yourself, get the Kuhnhausen shop manuals, "The U.S. M1911/M1911A1 Pistols & commercial M1911 type Pistols-A SHOP MANUAL" . There's 2 seperate books dealing with how to fix and build 1911's. It can be pricey to build, but if you have access to lathe/mill, you can save money making your own jigs. Order a Brownells cataloge if you don't already get it, shopping mecca for 1911 parts.

As for the gun rags, they are for entertainment only. No facts involved, just opinions, and you know the saying......."everyone has one". Most accessaries on a 1911 are personal decisions, just because they say you should have it doesn't mean you have to.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Well the 1911 is very much like an AK...some of the cheap one are pretty good and many of the expensive ones are kinda shi##y!! :D Just pic you up one that you like and go blasting screw the guys with guys that are safe queens...combat pistols are made to be shot and abused. That is the way is it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts