Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal on the Chinese import ban on Norinco products? Anyone know the details? I know it didn't expire with the AW ban, but was the Chicom import ban a permanent one?

Anyone have a source of the original executive order or piece of legislation? :help2:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Klinton's initial ban was in 1994 when MAK90's and SKS rifles were still dime a dozen. It prohibited importation of military style (sporter) semi-autos, pistols and parts if I'm not mistaken. Pretty much around the same timeframe the Slickster got caught up in the mess with a Polytech exec and F/A Chinese AK's were caught in Customs on the Left coast. I'm pretty sure the ban on steelcore ammo was shortly prior due to an AR15 pistol that put the steelcore ammo under the catagory of "cop-killer bullets" as described in 1980's legislation.

I'm not sure whether the Norinco shotguns continued coming in right away or not, but at some point they continued to flow in until W put more sanctions on Chinese imports a year or two ago.

If I get bored later I'll do some searches and try to clarify things a tad.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sanctions will sunset in March, 2005, I believe.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
AClay47 said:
Sanctions will sunset in March, 2005, I believe.
Bummer. Buying Chinese goods isn't good for the US. If you really are a patriot, buy as few Chinese goods as possible.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Bummer. Buying Chinese goods isn't good for the US. If you really are a patriot, buy as few Chinese goods as possible.
Yep, that's the way I feel about it. In fact, I'd like to see a large tariff on Chicom stuff. I'm looking at buying a replica of the 1897 Winchester shotgun though, because Winchester stopped making them years ago. :bawling:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I don't buy anything from communists unless it is a 2 dollar throw away item..thats why i would buy Russian (not my first choice either) instead of Chinese...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Facts speak for themselves, and unfortunately I don't have them on-hand and ready to post. I know the current sanctions apply to firearms however I find it impossible they apply to all imports from China. To a point buying Chinese goods isn't good for the economy. I didn't give a damn for supporting their slave labor when factory new SKS rifles were $79.95 or when MAK90's were $199 at gunstore prices, they were firearms I wanted at prices far below what we could call reasonable. Obviously undesirables found the price hard to pass up (take the P out of price and whatta ya got?). Regardless, Chinese goods flood our shores legit or not and they're sold by the minute to entrepreneurs here who invested in plastic hell. I agree, a "patriot " might take the time to avoid the "Red Plague". Then again, that's one saavy MF'n shopper. most all of our famous maker sporting goods outside of firearms sell Chinese goods under their "good American name".

Another thought, ask the American who owns a Dollar General or Dollar Store if buying Chinese goods is bad for the U.S. economy. I'll bet he laughs his ass off from the balcony of his $650,000 home while he pays painters, landscapers, deck builders, designers, roofers, laundry companies and maid services to do his "dirty work".

Chinese rifles, shotguns, and pistols were their top of the line export to this country. Terrorist countries enjoy the benefits of rocket launchers, tanks, aircraft and more. Do I feel guilty as an American for buying their products purchased by domestic buyers for resale? Ask me.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Well if the unions hadn't killed American manufacturing we could make things in the US for a reasonable price. However some slob on an assembly line decided he needed $30/hr and a 401k and a teamster got that for him. Yay...now you can't buy much that is made in America for less than an arm and a leg. :rant:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts