Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GRETNA, La. A Jefferson Parish fourth grader has been suspended for taking what's being described as a look-alike drug to school.
Eight-year-old Kelli Billingsley brought homemade Jell-O cups to school at Boudreaux Elementary. Her mom says the school tested the Jell-O and determined it didn't have any alcohol in it. But the school suspended the girl for having a look alike drug.

The girl's mom says her daughter was just trying to make a treat for her friends.

The superintendent of Jefferson Parish schools says she will investigate the case.

(From: Curt Sprang, WGNO-TV, New Orleans)

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=2659211

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It would seem that a school has again done something dumb. Many school administrators overreact to situations anymore. It kinda' goes with the times. I wonder what kind of container the jello was in. Was it in shot glasses? That would really be a trip. I have enough to do in my classroom trying to keep myself out of trouble, without worrying what the administration is doing..:dunno:

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
I have enough to do in my classroom trying to keep myself out of trouble, without worrying what the administration is doing..:dunno:
Hard to do, I bet. My sister-in-law teaches Algebra in High School and I've heard some horror stories.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
aviator said:
Hard to do, I bet. My sister-in-law teaches Algebra in High School and I've heard some horror stories.
So true, so true... Its better to stay in my classroom and not venture out sometimes.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably another example of hiding behind zero tolerance policies which have run amok.

The risk managers will run the school if you let them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
So true, so true... Its better to stay in my classroom and not venture out sometimes.
Yes the Admins are at times more worried about covering their own [email protected]# than what needs to be done to make the school a better learning place.

And don't even get me started on those admins who are gym rats.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Custer said:
Probably another example of hiding behind zero tolerance policies which have run amok.

The risk managers will run the school if you let them.
General, I think you have the correct answer here.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Cowdawg said:
Yes the Admins are at times more worried about covering their own [email protected]# than what needs to be done to make the school a better learning place.

And don't even get me started on those admins who are gym rats.
I know exactly what you mean. I have never really cared for the "Coachy" types of administrators.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strange Destiny said:
I know exactly what you mean. I have never really cared for the "Coachy" types of administrators.
Some were good, some were not but either way they used to keep order.

Same mixed bag with the professional educator types except they seldom keep order.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Aviator, there are professionals that are in administrative positions, your wife would be a good example. I am talking about how many schools have administrators that are ex-coaches and that supposedly made them right for the position. I would never put your wife in that category.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
Aviator, there are professionals that are in administrative positions, your wife would be a good example. I am talking about how many schools have administrators that are ex-coaches and that supposedly made them right for the position. I would never put your wife in that category.
Same here. i am refering to the Public Ed types who can't really cut it in the classroom and so they go and get their masters with an Admin Endorsment, they then get in as an Admin and even tho they can't cut it they stay put. The "Peter Principle" kicks in and they are there for their time till they can retire.

I have seen sooooooooo many of that type.

I now work in Higher Ed and see problems but of a different sort.
Aviator
I have read about your wife and her job and working her way up thru the ranks and IMO :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I had been in school when the "Zero Tolerance" programs were the rule. If it had not been for compasionate teachers (and later good cops) that made judgements based on my individual circumstances I would have been thrown out of school and maybe ended up in real trouble. I was a dumb kid that left home at the age of 15, and I know that if certain people hadn't decided to keep an eye out and help me, I could have ended up in big trouble. And I wasn't a bad kid or a trouble maker but I did party and push the envelope at times.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
OK, pardon my ignorance, but what is a Jell-O cup?

I do generally agree with suspending school children for bringing lookalike drugs to school, though. Bring the real deal.

I tell ya, they aren't doing any drug education at all in the schools. They aren't teaching the kids anything about how to get high. Why, I've heard of high school kids that can't roll even with two papers.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
OK, pardon my ignorance, but what is a Jell-O cup?
Homemade Jello in a small container. Evidentally they thought she was bringing Jello shooters.

I shudder at the thought of the next poor kid who brings a brownie for lunch.

And you're right, she'd probably be in less trouble had she brought the "real thing."

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Preacher said:
Homemade Jello in a small container. Evidentally they thought she was bringing Jello shooters.

I shudder at the thought of the next poor kid who brings a brownie for lunch...
OK, we are really plumbing the depths of my ignorance now. What is a Jello shooter?

And, yeah, hadn't thought of the classic marijuana brownies.

And they're gonna have to do something about kids who bring paper to school. Looks just like blotter acid.

Just when you thought the "zero tolerance" maniacs couldn't get any sillier... I think it was US Grant who said that the best way to get rid of a bad law was through its rigourous enforcement.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
OK, we are really plumbing the depths of my ignorance now. What is a Jello shooter?
OK, just to make sure, I'll take it from the beginning. Jello is made from packaged powdered gelatin. You boil two cups of water, mix it with the package, stir it good, and let it cool and set.

With Jello shooters, the exact same method is used, only you substitute Vodka for the water.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
And the gelatin still sets?

This may give me an entirely different perspective on that bane of every potluck, ambrosia.

Random aside: When I was a teenager, we used to take hypodermic syringes and inject oranges with vodka. The Health Education folks were always so happy to see us eating such a healthy diet in the stands at football games.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Time sure have changed.

We used to have contests to see how many jello cubes (non alcoholic) we could slurp in the dorm cafeteria.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
After I posted, I got to thinking that maybe it was half water, half vodka. It's been awhile and I'm not to sure one way or the other, but you get the point.

But yes, it still sets and looks like regular Jello, until you taste it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts