Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you connect the dots between this story and the Yukos story in Russia (which is not getting much coverage) you start to feel the squeeze....

If you are not familiar with the Yukos story, I encourage you to do some searching for it.

Posted on 12/24/2004 7:23:48 AM PST by johnmilken

CALGARY, Alberta, Dec. 21 - China's thirst for oil has brought it to the doorstep of the United States.

Chinese energy companies are on the verge of striking ambitious deals in Canada in efforts to win access to some of the most prized oil reserves in North America.

The deals may create unease for the first time since the 1970's in the traditionally smooth energy relationship between the United States and Canada.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fri, December 24, 2004

The way we were column

By Mike Filey, Toronto Sun

IT WAS on this day in 1814 that a document ending the almost three year-long conflict between the U.S. and Great Britain was signed in the small Belgian town of Ghent. This conflict, which we know today as the "War of 1812", began when President James Madison declared war on Britain following years of interference with America's trade and commerce by the Royal Navy.

The war was to have a major impact on Britain's colonies in North America, provinces known today as Quebec and Ontario. In fact, our community (then known as York) was attacked twice by American troops with several public buildings torched and others looted.

A battle on April 27, 1812 saw major damage inflicted on the garrison at York (now Fort York) and almost 150 combatants on both sides killed.

During the course of the war each side celebrated victories and each suffered defeats. And while many Americans believed that the Canadians would be eager to reject Great Britain and join the States, they did not.

Although the treaty was signed on this day in 1814, communication difficulties resulted in the final battle taking place in New Orleans nearly two months later.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I do not doubt for a minute that ultimately China and the U.S. will have a fatal showdown. Our national interests are increasingly working at cross purposes. China intends to be the only power in the Pacific Rim. We have treaties with most nations in the Pacific Rim. (sound like japan in the 30s?) China needs oil for their economy as much as we do and they are willing to pay for it.(direct conflict there) If China called in all the loans they've made to the U.S our economy would be in shambles. We need markets, they are chasing the same markets and can provide the goods and services to these markets cheaper than we ever can because they don't have any human rights issues. they can work teen girls 16 hrs a day for 1.60. China has just signed a treaty with Russia. A match made in heaven for them, hell for us. China has no interest in Eastern Europe and Russia has no interest in the Pacific Rim. We have interest in both places. When China wants Taiwan they will take Taiwan and really there is nothing we can do about it. I could go on and on but suffice it to say that IMO, this will be our grandchildren's big battle, U.S. against Russia and China, not terrorism.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
My father was always kind of a modern day prophet, Now that I'm older i'm having problems determining if it was just wisdom or alcohol, but anyhow, he always said the US and China would have a showdown, but Russia, would be on our side.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Putting tinfoil on, but ther was an old book of Nostradamous I had as a kid.

Chins would team up with the Arab powers and Russia would end up on our side in the battle of all battles.

Doesn't seem too far fetched does it? I read that translation in the early 80's, but I lost the book.

it also had the 2 gulf wars in it....... :dunno:

·
Registered
175 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Putting tinfoil on, but ther was an old book of Nostradamous I had as a kid.

Chins would team up with the Arab powers and Russia would end up on our side in the battle of all battles.

Doesn't seem too far fetched does it? I read that translation in the early 80's, but I lost the book.

it also had the 2 gulf wars in it....... :dunno:
I'm not much of Nostradamous fan, but I think he predicted the end would come in 2013 when the earth was hit by a comet. I read a few years ago that NASA ID'd a comet that would come "very close" to the earth in 2013.

I wish I knew for sure.....I still have credit on some of my cards! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts