Gunco Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the past two weeks, the national media has been portraying the United States as a "secular country." They complain about the "religious right" and voters who were concerned about "moral" issues. They complain about "God" being in government, complaining about the President's prayers for guidance.

Let's make one thing clear. The United States is not and never has been a "secular country." When the country declared its existence on July 4, 1776, it proclaimed that all men were created by their Creator with certain inalienable rights.

Secular countries believe that freedoms are granted by governments, not by God. That is one reason they have sneered at the US for more than two centuries. To the sophisticated peoples of Europe, we are bumpkins who believe a God endowed us with rights. No other country is founded on an ideal that people have inalienable rights bestowed by their Creator.

That struck me hard when I listened to a debate between Wayne LaPierre and Rebecca Peters, George Soros' advocate for IANSA. She chided Americans for refusing to give up their rights for the good of the world. Of course, she blasted the Second Amendment's right to keep and bear arms, but she also ridiculed the First Amendment as being a license for liars. Her voice is typical among other countries where people ridicule the belief that rights were granted by any God.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
As much as people hate it on the side of the left or the militant atheist it has to be preserved. The US will never turn into a theocracy unless we let Islamofacist do it, so they shouldn't worry.

Even if the anti-religous can't agree on God they should be able to agree on given rights of humanity not by governments. Unfortunately I know people on the left that do not agree with rights of self defense and free speech.

I don't understand how they cannot see that the rights set down in the Constitution as being wrong? I guess I'll never get the way they think and that is good.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehehe! I posted this topic at 1911forums and they locked it, fearing a discussion about religion. I'm not complaining, because they know their Board best. Still it demonstrates how far our society has come when discussions religion are banned. To many, religion equals intolerance.

Is our Country founded on a belief in God? Yes. Did our deist Founding Fathers promote any particular religion? No. They numbered more than one faith among them. Is ours a "Christian" country? Yes, in many ways, but that does not exclude worship of other religions - Hence, our First Amendment. There is a remarkable story told in the New Testament about how a member of another faith served as an example of righteousness. It was about a "Good Samaritan." Many were stunned at the time that a Jewish rabbi would use a despised Samaritan, whose religious beliefs were reviled, as an example of righteousness. Somehow, I can also imagine Jesus offering a parable about a "Good Atheist." Perhaps, he knew that God had more than one ear to hear the prayers of his children? Another lesson of the parable may have been that it is for God to judge a man's faith, not other men.

In a secular society, however, men are the ultimate authority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts