Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kim Cariani were threatened with trespasing after she started filming a gay awarness assembly.

Mom ousted for taping gay acceptance `lies'
By Jessica Fargen
Thursday, December 16, 2004

Two parents, shocked at frank talk during a gay and lesbian awareness day at Newton North High, were forced off the property after one parent whipped out a video camera and started taping.

``This does not belong in curriculum,'' said Kim Cariani, who said four police officers and the principal told them they would be charged with trespassing if they did not leave.

``It's against my religion. It's morally wrong and forced in a child's face.''

Each year, some students at Newton North forgo classes during To BGLAD: Transgender, Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day with assembly-like sessions including ``Out at the Old Ballgame'' and ``Color Me Queer.'' Students are not required to attend.

Cariani kept her two kids home during the day, but she was curious.

Cariani and another parent, Brian Camenker, were in the audience when adults in a panel discussion talked about being gay. When one man told the students he was attracted to his sister's husband, Cariani said she started to record the ``propaganda, false information and lies.''

The principal demanded Cariani turn over the videotape or leave, Camenker said.

``They took the two of us and pulled us out and gave us one minute to leave and if we came back on the property we would be arrested for trespassing,'' he said.

Tom Mountain, a columnist for the Newton Tab, was also barred from the assembly ``for the safety and security of the children,'' he said he was told.

Newton schools Superintendent Jeff Young said it is a violation of school policy to tape or photograph students without parental permission. Cariani refused to give up the tape, so they were asked to decamp, he said.

The awareness day, held for the past 10 years, is one of several ways the schools highlight diversity, Young said. Students who don't want to go can go to the library or computer lab.

( [email protected]. )

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There is no reason for that to be held during school hours. I don't care what way people are and I wouldn't want a Christian celebration on school time either in a public school.

Why? Why do we have to know what another person's sexuality is? Even though Bill O'reilly is a pompous jerk I do agree with im on something he has always said. Your sexuality whether you be straight or gay is no one's business.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Math, science and virtually every aspect of a useful skill set is on the decline yet they find the time for these fads.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I agree with the "gay agenda" of wanting to encourage acceptance of sexual lifestyles other than heterosexuality. Unfortunately, this is a pretty good example of efforts to do so that almost become a parody of themselves and backfiring. Reminds me a bit of a recent incident in which a "conflict resolution" workshop degenerated into fisticuffs.

I think the best way to encourage toleration of sexual diversity is to emphasize its irrelevance. A "Transgender, Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day" would seem like a rather silly way to get across the idea that it's irrelevant what sort of piggy things a person likes to do unless you want to do it with them. [Which means, of course, that toleration of sexual diversity stops with exclusive homosexuality among physically attractive young women; that indeed is an abomination before the Lord.]

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The schools need to regain focus on their main mission which is education as opposed to socialization. Some socialization is inevitable but it should be held down as much as possible especially when it appears we are getting very poor academic results.

The colleges need the same lesson. They are misusing the concepts of academic freedom and the need to expose young people to new ideas in an effort to advance personal beliefs rather than pass on substantive information.

University tuition is one of the worst values in America today.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Custer said:
The schools need to regain focus on their main mission which is education as opposed to socialization. Some socialization is inevitable but it should be held down as much as possible especially when it appears we are getting very poor academic results.

The colleges need the same lesson. They are misusing the concepts of academic freedom and the need to expose young people to new ideas in an effort to advance personal beliefs rather than pass on substantive information.

University tuition is one of the worst values in America today.
I agree with you about the socialization. The parents are expecting more and more from the schools all the time. I actually had a parent at a parent/teacher conference get amd at all the teachers her son had and said we needed to get her son involved in more school activities. She was mad at us because her son got into trouble. I told her that I was his teacher, not his cruise director. Perhaps she needed to consider private or parochial school.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps I misused socialization. A better word would have been proselytize.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this awareness assembly is a pretty good example.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll bet the YWCA is welcome in most public schools but not the Boy Scouts.

Transgender engineer proud of YWCA honor
Courtesy of Amanda Simpson
Amanda Simpson is among 12 named YWCA Women on the Move.

By Rhonda Bodfield Bloom
ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Amanda Simpson was recognized last week by the YWCA as one of a dozen local Women on the Move.

That's more than a personal accomplishment for the 43-year-old senior principal systems engineer at Raytheon Missile Systems. It's also a personal victory, since Simpson is a transgendered woman who very publicly allowed the media to recount her transition from Mitchell Simpson four years ago.

"To say that I was absolutely thrilled is a bit of an understatement," Simpson said. She was selected from a pool of 89 finalists for the award, which gives the nod to women who are committed to the elimination of racism and the empowerment of women.

When Simpson was introduced at the awards banquet, the audience heard about her accomplishments at Raytheon, her recent bid for the state House of Representatives and her volunteer work in the community. She was also singled out as "an example of courage" for being open about her transition and becoming a nationally known speaker on gender issues in employment - openness worth recognizing when anonymity can be easier.

Linda Breck, director of leadership development for the YWCA, met Simpson at YWCA leadership conferences and planning committees. "She is very professional. She's certainly committed to the mission of the YWCA," Breck said. "She's very reliable and has great ideas. But she's really being recognized for her activism in the community and for taking a leadership role."

Kent Burbank, executive director of Wingspan, the local lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community resource center, said he gives the YWCA credit for issuing the award. It came on the heels of the "moral values" debate launched following the national elections, when voters in 11 states banned gay marriage at the polls.

Simpson's award, he said, makes a larger statement. "It's a wonderful achievement for her personally, but it's also an important thing for the transgender community that a transgendered woman be recognized as a woman," Burbank said.

But, as Simpson can attest, while she went public to help erase the stigma that can follow gender transitions, it isn't always easy having an adjective following her everywhere - something this very story is perpetuating.

"To some extent, yes, I wish when someone mentioned that I was the first transgendered person to win a (state) primary in the United States, I wish that wasn't true. I wish I didn't have to be the trailblazer. Someday, I won't have to be, because it will be completely accepted, but until then, I can't let harassment and biases continue unchallenged.

"Why should I not do things that I'm interested in?" Simpson continued. "Should I not get involved in politics or not work with nonprofits because of my past? And the answer to that is 'No' - I'm going to pursue things that interest me."

Simpson said she is noticing more tolerance. She won a similar award from Raytheon three years ago, and there was some grumbling then, she said, since it came so soon after her transition. But with the exception of some news accounts during her legislative campaign, Simpson said, the focus of the race was on important issues - health care, education, the economy - and not her transgenderism.

Ultimately, even though she had limited funding as a Democrat running against two popular incumbents in a district with a Republican advantage, she still collected 21 percent of the vote - a respectable showing since she trailed the second-place winner, an incumbent, by only seven percentage points.

"I'm not in people's faces. I'm challenging discrimination by saying, 'This is who I am and this is what I do.' All I ask is to be accepted for my qualities and judged on that basis."

● Contact reporter Rhonda Bodfield Bloom at 807-8031 or [email protected].

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, the schools spend too much time promoting personal social agendas like this, and others, instead of being successful at what they are actually paid to do.

The math, science, reading and civic scores reflect that lack of focus.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Custer said:
No, the schools spend too much time promoting personal social agendas like this, and others, instead of being successful at what they are actually paid to do.

The math, science, reading and civic scores reflect that lack of focus.
I agree about the core curriculum lacking focus. I dont' know about social agendas. My job is to give my students the best computer education that I can. I take that very seriously. Today's students will never get away from having to use computers in their lifetime, its only going to become more prevalent as time goes by. I want to make sure that they are prepared.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Mrs. Sang is a teacher as some of you know. She has never pushed any agenda on her students either. She has had times when kids want to talk about politics with her and she has to bite her tounge.

One issue I know that she has run into is over zealous teachers that want to push their views or organize something that should notg be done in school hours.

I also do not like the NEA sending propaganda to my house telling me how to vote on issues such as abortion. The NEA should not be pushing anything other than education issues or issues regarding the educators salaries or working conditions.

I was very upset to find out my wife is forced to pay dues to an organization so against our beliefs. There is no choice in some schools due to the union stewards attitudes.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
Perhaps she needed to consider private or parochial school.
Crap like this thread is exactly the reason that I sent my son to private schools from 4th grade through college........and I've posted his course of study here in the past and SD and a few others commented on what a tough study course it was.........it was expensive and I had to skip some vacations and drive older cars to pay for it but I believe it was worth it.......and my son SouthernPartisan was glad that I was able to do this. Also I never expected the schools to keep him out of trouble, I figured that was my job. He finished HS with 7 varsity letters and was captain of the water polo team and the swim team, he played little league baseball, youth soccer and by the time he finished HS he held a black belt in taekwondo........in other words he had a full plate of activities.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very nice DG,

This will be a sticking point for my wife and I as we don't have many solutions for private schooling in this area that we could even begin to afford. There is the Catholic system which we wouldn't do because of our beliefs and I've actually had people in my family experience the priest scandal firsthand.....

My wife does not want to home school even though she is a teacher and a stay at home Mom. I dread my kids going to a public school even though the district we live in is pretty good.

Things have changed since I graduated in 1987 and I don't like it one bit.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sang, I had two go through the public school and they turned out fine.

You have to be the Autocrat At the Dinner (Breakfast) Table. Discuss with them what goes on. Disabuse the kids of silly notions but be ready to back it up so you are credible.

Our dinners together, which were essential, were like debating teams. I probably do not own a reference book that is not splattered with some sort of food from dragging these things out during dinner to make a point.

Supplement what the schools forget to teach since the schools are so easily distracted. Be prepared to go to the school and professionally raise hell when something is really out of line. Pick your spots rather than be a chronic complainer.
75% of the teachers are fine. Many will welcome help and additonal information. I have loaned many materials to teachers who loved having some other material. The others need to be watched and worked. The textbooks are weak and filled with spin and inaccuracies.

You might also have parent problems in addition to school problems. There are those parents who want to the school to do dumb things and there are times you have to jump in and support the school. (parents who want Harry Potter or Huck Finn out of the library.)

College is not much better and much tougher to deal with as they are gone. Hopefully you have penetrated their brains by then and when they come home you have something to work with.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Custer said:
Sang, I had two go through the public school and they turned out fine.

Supplement what the schools forget to teach since the schools are so easily distracted. Be prepared to go to the school and professionally raise hell when something is really out of line. Pick your spots rather than be a chronic complainer.
75% of the teachers are fine. Many will welcome help and additonal information. I have loaned many materials to teachers who loved having some other material. The others need to be watched and worked. The textbooks are weak and filled with spin and inaccuracies.

You might also have parent problems in addition to school problems. There are those parents who want to the school to do dumb things and there are times you have to jump in and support the school. (parents who want Harry Potter or Huck Finn out of the library.)
I agree about textbooks, my course doesn't have a textbook. I have standards that I need to get them to. I come up with my own materials.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
The schools need to regain focus on their main mission which is education as opposed to socialization. Some socialization is inevitable but it should be held down as much as possible especially when it appears we are getting very poor academic results...
A radical solution that resolves many otherwise difficult issues, worth considering, Custer, although I don't know that you've considered its implications:

Should the word "God" be retained in the Pledge of Allegience? Should the Pledge be directed towards the Constitution or the country instead of towards t he flag? Doesn't matter. We should ditch the Pledge as a superfluous socialization program.

Should sex education be the "abstinence-only" program currently funded by the Bush Administration, or should it instead be directed towards encouraging abstinence but also encouraging birth control for those who choose not to remain abstinent? Doesn't matter. We should ditch sex ed as a superfluous socialization program.

Should drug-awareness programs in the schools be scare-tactics like DARE, or instead should they be harm-reduction programs that encourage people to avoid alcohol and other drugs but also provide information on how to not kill yourself or get strung out if you choose to try them? Doesn't matter. We shouldn't have drug-awareness programs in the schools at all.

Should we have NRA-developed gun safety programs in the schools, or instead programs developed by the antigunners? Doesn't matter. We shouldn't address guns in the schools at all (except in the context of sports - i.e. a school rifle team).

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frankly, Smeg, I think most of that is a waste of time in the schools. It would not bother me a bit if all those things where eliminated.

I don't know many schools who say the pledge anymore anyway and I think we are devoting way to many resources chasing around slight references to God or religion.

We are kidding ourselves on this religion issue. It is too much a part of the fabric of our society. Cutting it all out is impossible and the effort risks destroying that fabric.
It is excessively sensitive to the point of being dumb.

Hell, all the hospitals here get government money. The two big ones are Jewish Hospital and Christ Hospital.

Do they have to change their names?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts