Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rider 142 of The Appropriations Bill

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=6742901&content_dir=ua_congressorg

Rider 142, of the New Appropriations Bill, is absolutely dirty politics, it was introduced to the Appropriations Bill without Public Knowledge, by Two Montana Senators, who are caving in to the Greedy Ranchers in Thier Area that want Our WILD HORSES off the Rangelands. As it is now thier cattle are grazing on these Public Lands, and deleting the forage for the Horses, and Burros. BLM, will have a field day, now they will have a legal excuse to send the Horses by the thousands to Mass Slaughter.

:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to spread the word around about this. Here in Nevada we take our feral horses seriously.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had the space, and a big barn. I'd adopt a couple of those wild horses from the BLM. They are some beautiful critters.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
"Born Free" will have to find a new cause.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seeing a wild mustang run free is a beautiful sight. Dang, I'd hate to see that ended.

Don't anyone go feeling sorry for some poor rancher and his two or three sons trying to scrape out a living raising a few cattle on the open range and the wild horses eating up all the grass. It's about big business ranchers that work out of skyscrapers and have hired hands in helicopters to herd the cattle. It's about big rich cattle barons (yes they still exist) profiting off of public land that we all own. And, they don't want to share the range with anyone, or any other animal. They are the ones that eliminated the wolves and don't want them reintroduced.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Beef.It's what's for Dinner.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to spread the word around about this. Here in Nevada we take our feral horses seriously.
Many of my friends who are natives of Nevada do not share the love of the wild horses we easterners have due to cowboy movies.

I remember seeing about 15,000 of them penned up in Lovelock, NV about 25 years ago. They would call them hammerheads, broomtails or The West's N-word.

Used to see a lot of wild burros out there, too. Especially up in the hills.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have read some things that suggest there may have been native North American horses in addition to those that got away from the Spaniards and other new world settlers.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Hard to find enough people who will adopt them.

I seem to recall a bunch did some years back and then slaughtered them for food.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the greedy ranchers hadn't of killed off all the wolves, they would have helped keep the number of wild horses down. Them things kinda happens when man plays around with the environment.

Hey, I'm a starting to sound like a green or a eco-weenie aren't I? :D

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo, none of these guys were ranchers. They look at the horses as pests and a drain on the taxpayers. The old timers used them as a food source in tough times much as we do deer hunting.

I know nothing about horse breeding, but the wild horses I saw were not the beautiful creatures we picture when we watched the Lone Ranger catch Silver. That being said, they looked fine to this midwestern boy.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Out here we have herds of Wild Horses and Burros that will eat anything and everything till there is nothing left. The Tonapa(sp) test range and also the Nellis Test range have herds of horses that do not compete with cattle or anything else cept maybe some wabbits for food. They are starving cause they breed and breed and over stress the range.

The ranchers have been the ones for well over 100 yrs that have developed water holes and improved the range out of their own pocket.

Believe me they are kewl to see in the wild once in a while, however most of the ones I have seen, riddin and such are not worth a plugged nickle.

Back in the time before 1972 we would go out and gather them up, train some as saddle horses and sell them. Now they are rounded up, branded on the neck (freeze branded) and turned out or sold thru the BLM auctions.
Some folks down the road from me have 25 head of them. They paid 3,000 $ for a mare last yr, two other mares went for more $ and both went to Calif. These are more rare cause of the Spanish Barb blood. And they came from one of around two herds that have the most pure lines. (how they can tell is flaky at best, blood tests and such) The "Sulfur" herd.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We also have a herd west of me "Antelope Herd" that have a gene that causes blindness, thats a sad sight, to see one wandering around blind. The BLM is working on getting them rounded up.

North and West a little is a herd that has some draft blood from the 30's when Ranchers were broke and turned out their draft horses rather than shoot them.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Cowdawg has expressed what my old friends said many years ago. I took their words to heart even though it conflicted with my eastern bias. They were sons of men who opened up those frontier areas. It was their life and not a TV show.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Custer said:
Cowdawg has expressed what my old friends said many years ago. I took their words to heart even though it conflicted with my eastern bias. They were sons of men who opened up those frontier areas. It was their life and not a TV show.
VERY true, our ranch out west next to Nevada has had more than a few herds of Mustangs on it. We reseeded areas, devoloped water, in other words spent alot of time and money improving the range. Have no problem with wild horses per say, untill we started getting told NO you cannot gather them to keep the numbers at a managable number, etc etc etc. Just as we didn't have any problem with the wildlife, untill the Fish Cops introduce more and more critters till things have gotten waaaay out of balance.

"Wild Horse Annie" was no real freind to the wild horses as history has shown since 1972.

My dear departed Dad was the kindest hearted guy I have known and it broke his heart to see so many herds dieing of starvation. We always had a few head around and even grained them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts