Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Was this an importer who got greedy?

2. Terrorists?

3. What affect does this have on a new AW bill?

4. I like how they say military minded wackos, not!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117766,00.html

A Turkish ship headed for New York ? and stuffed with thousands of AK-47s (search) and other Kalashnikov assault rifles ? was seized en route in Italy, authorities said Tuesday.

The ship's deadly hoard of more than 7,500 terrorist-grade rifles and machine guns worth more than $6 million was discovered illegally hidden under piles of properly labeled arms in several massive cargo containers, Italian officials said.

The ship MS Adnan Bayraktar, which bears a Turkish flag, had come from the Romanian port of Constanta (search) and was on its way to a stopover in New York when the bust was made, the authorities said.

Documents showed the cargo containers were ultimately headed to a large U.S. company based in Georgia.

Officials refused to identify the business, citing security concerns and the ongoing investigation.

"We know that the [ship's] destination was North America, but we don't effectively know if that's where the [suspect] arms were going," one customs official told Italian state television.

The ship's cache of combat-style weapons was uncovered several days ago during a routine customs inspection at the Calabrian port of Gioia Tauro in southern Italy, officials said. They said they didn't reveal the bust at the time because of the continuing probe.

The weapons were confiscated by the Italian authorities because of problems with the ship's customs forms. For example, the arms had been described on some of the forms as "common guns" instead of assault-style.

The smuggled firearms included the lightweight combat Kalashnikov rifles, AK-47 assault rifles and SKA and Mauser (search) rifles, authorities said.

The weapons' bayonets were still affixed to them, as were cartridges that can hold up to 30 rounds, they said.

The AK-47s had been tampered with so they couldn't be rapidly fired, but the modification was one that could easily have been reversed, authorities said.

The assault weapons are a favorite with terrorists: Usama bin Laden sported one in the now-infamous footage of him taken after 9/11.

AK-47s also have been the weapon of choice for some infamous military-minded wackos, such as the teens who shot up Columbine HS in Littleton, Colo., in 1999.

The United States has banned such military-style semiautomatic weapons since 1994. The law preventing them from being manufactured, imported or sold here expires in September.

·
1,763 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
The AK-47s had been tampered with so they couldn't be rapidly fired, but the modification was one that could easily have been reversed, authorities said.

AK-47s also have been the weapon of choice for some infamous military-minded wackos, such as the teens who shot up Columbine HS in Littleton, Colo., in 1999.
Oh no....does that mean we are "Military minded wackos?" because we have them? Or is the implication only about "infamous" wacko's? Or is it only criminals that are "military minded wackos" I'm so confused....

not to mention they were "tampered" to prevent them from being rapidly fired... Let's get the semi-auto deer rifle and rapidly fire it...or would I have to "un-tamper it first"

MEDIA HYPE!!! SENSATIONALISM!!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Another stupid inaccurate media treatment of guns.

Therefore, it is hard to tell what it is about.

Hell, the article makes it sound like AK's were used at Columbine.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Does not mention that how many of our new (fomer commie block nations) allies now standing with us in the middle east carry AKs. Does not mention the AK is a favored weapon of many U.S. collecters. Does not mention that AKs have been used in zero acts of terror in this country. Does not mention maybe we need to ban jet airplanes. Jack

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a pathetic example of the idiots in our media. Little to no research. The most poorly written article I've seen in ages.

Sounds like parts kit donors and some semi-auto AK's with SKS and Mauser rifles in the mix.

"Cartidges that can hold up to 30 rounds"... :confused:

"AK-47's also have been the weapon of choice for some infamous military-minded wackos, such as the teens who shot up Columbine HS in Littleton, colo, in 1999." Who's the stupid mother- :censored2 that wrote that garbage?! Yep, I guess those Hi-Point and Tec9's must be in all actuality AK-47's... :lol: What part of the Columbine massacre was "military-mided"?

Fair and balanced? O'reilly is going to get a rather spirited e-mail from me. :angry: What morons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, it could be true that the AK was the weapon of choice for the Columbine duo. Of course all they could come up with were Hi-Points & Tec 9's. :bleh: .

·
Registered
621 Posts
When I read the article, it sounded like there was a shipment of illegal machine guns somehow hidden amongst a legitimate shipment of guns headed for the U.S. civilian market.

Does anybody have any idea who the company in "Georgia" is?

The media of course has tried to spin this into "deadly cargo," but it sounds like a legitimate shipment may have been tainted by someone simultaneously smuggling illegal arms, so of course everything was confiscated and now the media can have a field day with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It probably was a shipment for Century, all their arms are stamped Georgia, VT. Because it was probably them I doubt if there was actually anything wrong with the shipment & it will quietly be released (story if noted will be on the bottom of page 13 right underneath the bra ads) & slowly work it's way over the pond.

Greg

·
Registered
621 Posts
Greg L said:
It probably was a shipment for Century, all their arms are stamped Georgia, VT. Because it was probably them I doubt if there was actually anything wrong with the shipment & it will quietly be released (story if noted will be on the bottom of page 13 right underneath the bra ads) & slowly work it's way over the pond.

Greg

Your thinking equals mine. Remember when Century was not going to import anymore Romanian AK's because of a price dispute and because they wanted to see if the ban would expire? Perhaps this was meant to be the first shipment of pre-ban style SAR's. They would have been on their way to a "bonded" warehouse where they could legally stay in their bona fide assault weapons configuration awaiting September and the installation of the appropriate number of U.S.-made parts for 922(r) compliance.

This is all speculation, of course, but my Zoid Sense tells me that this is what happened. Perhaps someone on the other side of the deal got greedy and decided to ship some machine guns to ANOTHER customer on the same ship. Enter a foreign customs agent, and the whole thing went sour. Once they discovered the machine guns the whole shipment was compromised.

The Romanians may have tried to make a fast buck by selling some "real" AK assault rifles to a customer in a port that lies between Romania and the U.S., and Century's shipment is impounded somewhere because of it.

Things that make you wish you worked in Intelligence...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, no response thus far from Fox News or the New York Post.

Who wants to bet the story doesn't flat-out fall off the face of the earth? Granted the small pic from the story and video did make for a pretty ugly view of how our parts kits are shipped, I'm betting it was (is) 110% legit. Hey, at least the Italian government is trying (considering France, Spain and the bulk of the morons at the UN are out.)

We Americans have a difficult time interpreting U.S. law, I won't blame the Italian government for post-poning a legal shipment of firearms.

I will however Blame the New York Post for sensationalizing the story with Bold-Faced LIES!

(Obviously, NYP says "Kerry for President" (even if we have to make stuff up...)

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
I talked to a Georgia-based arms importer who had the same flight from Pittsburgh(NRA) to Atlanta as myself.

He stated that although the labor costs are less in Eastern Europe to dismantle an AK into part sets, the quality control was much easier here in a Freeport zone.

He is the sole US importer for S&B ammunition and seemed to know what he was talking about.

I imagine this deal started as a bureaucrat wanting a pay off and it got out of hand.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Zoid, does the link work for you? All I get is the ak-47.net homepage full of log-in apologies. Links from Gunco to risky to their ego?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Evil_Walks said:
Zoid, does the link work for you? All I get is the ak-47.net homepage full of log-in apologies. Links from Gunco to risky to their ego?

I tried it just now (3 minutes after your post time). It worked perfectly. It brings up a photo of an officer holding one of the AK's while putting his foot on a pile of guns, then the rest of the thread loads...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn! you're killin' me Zoid! :rofl:

I didn't know the "military-minded wackos" at Arfcom took over the ak47.net domain, I was looking at ak-47.net! :headspin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts