Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diputes over chili are probably an unreported leading cause of murder, so I offer this from the safety of my keyboard.

Campbell's soup makes a hot chili in a can that is really good and effortless to make. My daughter was doing some advertising work for them and tipped me that it was getting incredible taste test reviews for a new product.

If someone gave you a bowl of it and you did not know it was out of a can, you would swear someone spent some time making a good homemade chili.

I plan on it for lunch. I heat it up and add some chopped onions to the top.

Flame on....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I live on the other side of the river and the only Chili to eat is Dixie Chili.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
To add we got one of those quickie Smithfield Chipotle meatloaf meals. It was the best ready made meal thing I've ever had. The seasoning was superb and we eat 90% of our meals home made, so it has to pass the muster.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like "Cincinnati" style chili but nothing beats regular chili on a cold winter day.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
This is making me hungry, now I'm craving a 4-way onion. To those that don't know Cincy, a 3,4,5,-way here has a whole different meaning.

Spaghetti
Chilli
Cheese
Onions
Beans

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Cincinnati" chili as described by Sang is sweet and not like conventional chili at all. It is served in chili parlors that specialize in it and that is all they serve.

It is an acquired taste and has almost cult like status in this area.
People have their own favorite chili parlors. The top 3 seem to be Skyline Chili, Gold Star Chili and Dixie Chile. You can get into great debates over the best chili parlor.

When people go out for chili around here, they mean the Cincinnati variety although plenty of people also make and eat the conventional chili.

When I first moved to Cincinnati, I went out with some co-workers for chili. When it was served I thought WTF is this? Since then I have learned to enjoy it.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Chili is not complete without a habanero pepper:angry:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I'm with Magnus, chili shouldn't be sweet!!! I like homemade chili verde. My mother's family is from South Texas, between San Antonio and Laredo, and I believe the Tex-Mex food from that area is hotter than most Mexican food.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dixie Chili is not sweet it is just good. I just went and had 3 Cheese Coney from Dixie Chili. The place is only about a mile from my house and we eat there once a week.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
If chili doesn't make my temples sweat then it ain't chili. :wink:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The local chili has beans. Onions. Cheese. All of it put over spaghetti with a special sauce. Spicy but not what I would all hot.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
I'm with Magnus, chili shouldn't be sweet!!! I like homemade chili verde. My mother's family is from South Texas, between San Antonio and Laredo, and I believe the Tex-Mex food from that area is hotter than most Mexican food.
You ain't shittin...
I roomed with a couple of dudes from Texas when I was working in Boston at Logan Airport (gettin my share of the homeland security money) and they would put some shit called "insanity" on their friggin popcorn!!! what's up with that?
I'd look at the bottle and my eyes would tear up, and the snot would run... them boys aint right...

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
magnus392 said:
Ummm....Mater sauce goes on spagetti...not chili, lol. Glad I am in TX:D Hey man I won't hold anything against you yankees you just don't know better! To each their own, but if I come to visit I make the Chili!
That's not Yankee. That is Cincinnati only.

I am not a Cincinnati native but after 27 years here, it sure is not a Yankee town.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
to really get the debate going do you think chili should be made with ground meat (i.e. hamburger, ground round, etc) or with shredded meat (roast or other cut of meat cooked until it can be shredded with a fork)?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best chili, IMHO is made with chunks of beef, sort of like stew beef.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts