1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2004 10:14 a.m. EST
ACLU: No Fair Lying to Terrorists

More: Civil Libertarians Fight Big Brother ACLU

American Civil Liberties Union is up in arms over new evidence that U.S. interrogators might have lied to al-Qaida terrorist suspects being held at Guantanamo Bay.

E-mails obtained by the group show that military interrogators posed as FBI agents while grilling the enemy captives, a practice that ACLU says amounts to torture.

"There was real concern within our law enforcement community about whether we are torturing individuals," ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero told the Associated Press.
"Torture" techniques employed by the pseudo FBI agents are said to include chaining prisoners to the floor without ready access to food and water, rooms being kept too warm or too cold and prisoners forced to go barefoot.

One al-Qaida suspect was compelled to sit on the floor of the interview room "with an Israeli flag draped around him, loud music being played and a strobe light flashing."

The e-mails produced by ACLU showed that FBI officials also disapproved of the practice of having military interrogators impersonate agents.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
You mean we lied to people trying to kill us? For shame, for shame. :whack:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Huh? Too weird even for me.

I can see why the FBI is more than just a little annoyed, though.

Even worse, in the current atmosphere of exquisite correctness within the military, I wonder whether the interrogators may find themselves up on charges for impersonating an FBI agent.

The good news is, if impersonating an FBI agent is all it takes to torture an Islamicist terrorist, the War on Terror is as good as won.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One al-Qaida suspect was compelled to sit on the floor of the interview room "with an Israeli flag draped around him, loud music being played and a strobe light flashing."

Sounds like me in the late 60's. I must have been torturing myself and I didn't know it. I should call the ACLU and see if I can sue myself. Oh the horror. I am having flashbacks ... All I can see now is Deep Purple. I feel like I'm just a Rolling Stone. My ZZTop is comming off. If this keeps up you won't even find a Loving Spoonful left. Oh the horror. You just can't Get No Satisfaction in this world.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
fal_shooter said:
...Sounds like me in the late 60's....
We have ways of making you talk, fal_shooter. Nobody can withstand the long version of "In la Gada da Vita".

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
I had that on 8 track. What a mistake.
Oooh! Cool! So you could have it play endlessly!!!!

Have you sold the tape to the folks interrogating prisoners at Guantanamo?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they would break them faster playing Stairway to Heaven.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
I think they would break them faster playing Stairway to Heaven.
I dunno. Stairway was a great song that became a dreadful song through endless over-playing. In La Gada da Vita started out as a dreadful song.

You know, while the latter half of the sixties gave us some great music, it also gave us an awful lot of embarassments. Remember "Love"?

Yeah, I'm trying to forget them, too.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel about Stairway the way you feel about Free Bird.

Don't remember "Love". Why don't you hum a few bars.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
I feel about Stairway the way you feel about Free Bird.

Don't remember "Love". Why don't you hum a few bars.
"Love" wasn't a song, it was a band that jumped onto the psychedelia bandwagon with pretentious lyrics and pointless guitar solos.

Did you see Wayne's World? You'd appreciate the scene in the guitar store with the giant sign posted on the wall where people try the guitars out:
"NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!"

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't recall love and I did not see Wayne's World. Saw some of its origin on Sat. Nite Live though.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Went to the ACLU website for the straight scoop on this. Article that begins this thread is misleading. What happened is that there is a Bush Administration e-mail that purportedly refers to the techniques used at Guantanamo as "torture". Note - the Bush Administration, not the ACLU, referring to it as torture. And that there definitely is an e-mail from the FBI prohibiting its agents to use the methods referred to in the Bush Administration e-mail.

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=17216&c=206

1 - 14 of 14 Posts