Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about a a family member that got a silver star. Some of you guys helped me to understand the importance of this star. I also had mentioned that he would not talk about much of his time at war. well tonight he told my wife what happened to get his star. He did not give a lot of details but he crossed a huge mine field no less than four times back and fourth!! holy crap!!! talk about beating the odds!!! now I can understand why he did not want to remember it. ... WHAT would a man have on his mind when in the middle ,, what would he be thinking going BACK IN!!! again and again and again.. I just cant even imagine what he must have been feeling. Tonight he would not give us much details other than a group of guys needed help.
thanks to the good guys here that helped me with info last time and for hearing me this time
The, Feeling not so hot barrel, maby warm barrel at best, no not even warm barrel, daisey BB sounds about rite.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
The Silver Star is a significant award - usually. It has been awarded frivilously a few times, such as in the case of Kerry, but such cases are the exception. I have found that individuals that repeatedly boast about their heroic acts and the super secret missions they went on are quite often fakes.

Most soldiers that performed above and beyond the call of duty will not talk much about the details of their combat experiences for personal reasons. Usually it is kept personal because of their thoughts about fellow soldiers that lost their lives.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I can tell you what he was thinking. He was thinking about his family - his brothers. They needed his help and all he could think about was helping them. He did not for one minute think about himself. He was focused on saving his family. If your house was on fire and your family was inside would you rush in and try and save them? Of course you would. In combat it's not much different except in combat the house burns daily.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
As Pogo said, the Silver Star is a significant award and in a LOT of cases people who receive the Silver Star should have been awarded the CMH.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Give him a huge THANK-YOU from those of us that are appreciative of his sacrifices. I too have a family member who earned the Silver Star, in Viet-Nam, along with a Bronze star and two Purple Hearts [one with a cluster?]. I would love to know how he earned them, but he too does not want to talk about it.

Someday, I pray.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Gwitness, a cluster on the Purple Heart indicates a second award for that medal, it has no other meaning than that.
BRONZE OAK LEAF CLUSTER
The bronze oak leaf cluster represents second and subsequent entitlements of awards.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ahh....Thanks for the info, The Purple Heart with cluster was from his second tour, along with the Bronze Star. at least that is what I remember, it was so long ago.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Just curious DorGunR, Is a second cluster added for the third time? And so forth?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
Just curious DorGunR, Is a second cluster added for the third time? And so forth?
Yes it is.
The bronze oak leaf cluster represents second and subsequent entitlements of awards.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Very intersting reading guys! I didn't know anything about medals. I do have a question though. I once had a very close friend that fought in Vietnam. We became very close friends as I grew up and he eventually got a divorce and had some rough times. Before he moved away, we had a short talk and he gave me "one" of his purple hearts that he received in VN. He told me that he was wounded twice, but that many(including his family) didn't know about the second. He had two sons, and it would've been more appropriate to pass these both on to each of them.

Do they add "clusters" or something similar to Purple Hearts too? If so, how could he have gotten 2 of them instead of one with a cluster.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yes he could have two seperate medals, the device would be on the ribbon of the second award.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
DorGunR said:
Gwitness, a cluster on the Purple Heart indicates a second award for that medal, it has no other meaning than that.
BRONZE OAK LEAF CLUSTER
DorGunR said:
Yes it is.
DorGunR said:
Guess I'd better clean the monitor.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Very intersting reading guys! I didn't know anything about medals. I do have a question though. I once had a very close friend that fought in Vietnam. We became very close friends as I grew up and he eventually got a divorce and had some rough times. Before he moved away, we had a short talk and he gave me "one" of his purple hearts that he received in VN. He told me that he was wounded twice, but that many(including his family) didn't know about the second. He had two sons, and it would've been more appropriate to pass these both on to each of them.

Do they add "clusters" or something similar to Purple Hearts too? If so, how could he have gotten 2 of them instead of one with a cluster.
Let's say you was wounded three times........you would receive a medal each time but you would wear only one ribbion with two clusters.......ribbion + 2 clusters = three awards.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
One of the few battle stories my uncle has told about Nam was manning a 60 on the perimeter one night when they got over run by NVA. They fought all night and sometime near the end of the night they melted down the first barrel in the 60 after changing it out several times. Then about dawn they melted the second one down. Thankfully the waves of NVA petered out about the same time.

No more details than that, but the conviction and look in his eyes was something else.

I know I can never understand that kind of experience and some of you guys here do. My heart goes out to those guys like my uncle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are lots of silent hereos in the world. We owe them all and they seek no acclaim.
Some are here on this board, many left the field of battle and never spoke of it again, most are only recognized when their time on this earth is done and others learn of their actions. God bless them all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts