Gunco Forums banner

Tokerev pistol into rifle ideas

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  justashooter 
deltaten and i were discussing this concept last week, in reference to the CZ52 pistol. the tokarev uses a short recoil tilting barrel, whereas the CZ52 uses a delayed roller blowback. so either would have possible function issues related to increased barrel weight.

we decided that modified CZ24/26 magazines mounted in a widened grip frame and a sliding wire grease gun type stock would be the way to go. on the back burner as the wife rants and raves about the various carpentry and gardening projects she turns me to every 5 minutes or so.

looking at ROMY TOK:

the CZ24 mags would have to be modified to a single feed position and single stack width for the top of tower (about 1" minimum) as the frame and slide are too narrow to accomodate them as-is (looking at a set now). the mag catch is just a screw and a spring and lug that could be modified by changing the screw out for a longer one. the front of the frame is a true radius on interior that would have to be altered in the split and re-weld to accomodate the square corners of the CZ42 magazine.

looks like the magazine could be modified by casting a fiberglass interior mold of the interior of an original single stack magazine (with release agent) and making up a transitional double stack insert out of steel bar that stock mags could be split, planished, and rewelded on. feed lips would also require massage. this or topping a cut off 24 mag off with a 1" cut off from a tok mag that has been splayed. end result would be a 32 round doublestack that transitions to single stack for the last inch and would not feed the last few rounds, so they should be dummies chained to the follower. prolly 28-30 effective capacity.

the feed angle of the 24/26 magazine as designed is nearly perp to bore, and the original tok is about 15*. no telling how this would work out in the real world without modification of the follower.

another wild hare, weld a tok mag onto a PPSH drum as a tower and add your chain linked dummies in a stack of 10. even a pps43 mag could be modified this way.

if there is consideration for a barrel shroud or forward attachment point it would have to be welded to the lower frame, as adding weight to the slide would affect function.

anyway, it's a mental exercise and an excuse to dig around in the gun room.

what the hell. i think i'm gonna do this with a junk romy, a tok mag used as a topper for a pps43 mag, and a piece of .375 ID hydraulic tubing carefully welded to the front of the original barrel just for shits and giggles to see how it will run. if i run it without a stock i can always chop off the tubing and go back to stock with only the loss of a few magazines.

if it works well i just have to find a long enough skinny barrel blank to machine down to tokarev type. bet it will be real quiet with a long tube extension, and a pussy cat with a wire stock. barrel tilt in unlocking will determine ID requirement for any kind of barrel shroud to be attached.

will post sometime after the carpentry and gardening is done...

small problem. Those 1911 rifles are complete slides that were made as a rifle. they were never a pistol slide.

once a pistol always a pistol.

real cool idea but not feasible.
the upper of the conversions is not legally a gun, at all. it's the frame that is serialised.

once a rifle always a rifle. pistols can be changed from pistol to rifle legally without invoking NFA.

agreed, not easily done as the weight of barrel would have to increase beyond ordinary functionality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.