Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most newspaper readers will read this tomorrow in the paper and assume the reporter was at the court house covering the case.

I guess this is how you practice law and be a reporter these days:

Same Sex Marriage Issue: Court to Hear Oral Arguments Tomorrow Challenging Constitutionality of California Statute Denying Marriage Between Same Sex Partners

12/21/2004 1:12:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: State Desk, Legal Reporter

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Attorney Gloria Allred, her law partner John S. West and their clients, Robin Tyler and Diane Olson of Los Angeles, Calif., will attend the oral argument hearing on same gender marriage laws to held on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2004 at 9:30 a.m. at the San Francisco County Superior Court, 400 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA, Dept. 304, Judge Richard Kramer presiding.

Ms. Tyler and Ms. Olson requested and were denied a California marriage license by Los Angeles County on February 12, 2004 because of their gender. (See news coverage of the denial from that date.)

Represented by Ms. Allred and Mr. West, the couple then filed the first lawsuit in California challenging the denial of marriage licenses to same gender couples and seeking to compel the issuance of the license by arguing that the law which states that marriage is a civil contract between a man and a woman is unconstitutional (February 23, 2004).

Also represented in that lawsuit is Rev. Troy D. Perry and his partner, Phillip Ray DeBlieck.

The couples' lawsuit filed in L.A. County was later consolidated with other lawsuits which were filed in San Francisco after theirs and which made similar arguments. The consolidated cases will be heard on Wednesday.

Note: Robin Tyler is a nationally known lesbian rights activist and co-chair of DontAmend.com. Her life partner, Diane Olson, is a granddaughter of former California Democratic Governor Culbert Levy Olson.

Rev. Troy Perry is the first openly gay member of the Los Angeles Human Rights Commission and a past delegate to the White House Conference on Hate Crimes. His is also the founder of the Metropolitan Community Church. His partner is Phillip Ray DeBlieck.

Attorney Gloria Allred and her law firm have won many precedent-setting cases for the gay and lesbian community and have received many honors from that community for their pioneering work for over two decades on behalf of gay and lesbian rights.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Most newspaper readers will read this tomorrow in the paper and assume the reporter was at the court house covering the case..
How do you figure, Custer? It's dated today and speaks of what will happen tomorrow in the future tense:

"LOS ANGELES, Dec. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Attorney Gloria Allred, her law partner John S. West and their clients, Robin Tyler and Diane Olson of Los Angeles, Calif., will attend the oral argument hearing on same gender marriage laws to held on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2004 at 9:30 a.m... "

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a press release sent to the news desks of the papers. In this case, local but it could get picked up nationally.

The editor will give it to a "reporter" and he will re-write it a bit as a news article for tomorrows paper as if he went out and sleuthed out the story.

If he is not totally lazy, he might call the people in the release for more quotes but chances are the quotes already in the release will be used as if he interviewed them and they said that. They never said it anyway. Their press agent wrote the quotes for them.

This is the news for the most part. AP and UPI work it the same.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would not be at all surprised if you are right, Custer. A lot of what goes on in mainstream media I think can be attributed to sloth - largely puking onto paper or into your TV the content of some press conference.

Have you ever been involved in something and then seen a media report on it? As a war resister of the sixties, obviously that was a fairly common occurrence back then. Leaves you wondering if the reporter was on the same planet, let alone at the same occurrence, as you were.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The growth of advocacy groups who are astute with instant press releases (fax, email, etc) have allowed the already biased editors and reporters to become lazy. The big outlets are the same way, such as Reuters, UPI and AP.

Few are really reporters who go to the scene to get news.

I've had a tour of duty in writing and supervising the process.

You can go to the newswire service the day before and guess which releases the papers will pick up. I post some of them here.
I kind of enjoy the game.

On the other hand, you can get quite jaded about how the process works. Sometimes I think such an honorable amendment such as the first is wasted on these people.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Custer said:
......Rev. Troy Perry is the first openly gay member.....
Rev??? Gay??? Must be reading a different Bible than the one I got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts