Gunco Forums banner

tool recommendations

798 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  yosuthnmasa 
#1 ·
Guys, when I started building AKs I learned the value of good tools. I was wondering if we could get a list together regarding necessary FAL build tools and those maybe not necessary but make the job easier or at least more pleasant. Jack

#2 ·
scubadvr said:
Guys, when I started building AKs I learned the value of good tools. I was wondering if we could get a list together regarding necessary FAL build tools and those maybe not necessary but make the job easier or at least more pleasant. Jack
First off, unless you have a continuing plan to build multiple rifles, remember that most of the tools you buy for a Fal build can easily be sold later to recoup your investment. Likewise the best way to buy tools is second hand on the boards.

Here are my recommendations:

The number one tool you need in my estimation is a good receiver wrench. It will pay off in the amount of frustration saved and help avoid damage to the most expensive part. Some have made one time use wrenches out of oak and such, but unless you are talented in that direction, get one pre-made. There are two ways to use the wrench. Either have the barrel clamped securely in a barrel vise and turn the wrench with a breaker bar and a cheater (if necessary) or with the wrench secured in a very heavy duty vise and either a 1 1/16" or 27mm open end wrench filed to a pound on fit used to turn the barrel into position. Go to the Falfiles and do a search on receiver wrenches. Ratas Calientes sells one, and Gunthings.com has the Snieder wrench.

Another must have is a set of go and nogo gages in .308 and either gage pins or a gage rod every other size from .252 to .270. These are necessary for determining the size locking shoulder you need for correct headspace.

A barrel vise is nice to have and makes the job much easier, but is an investment you may not want to make for one or two builds. Pa. Patriot at frontlinearmory.com makes a great one, and Gunthings also offers one.

A buttstock tool is fairly inexpensive and is almost required unless you like to hear "sprong" and have nut like objects making divots in your head. Also handy to use on the pistol grip nut. DSA, Gunthings and Tapco all market these.

A front sight tool is inexpensive and useful.

An extractor tool is about the only safe way to tear the bolt down.

A barrel timing tool is not necessary, but it makes the job a lot easier. Some use two straight rods, one laid across the top of the receiver, the other thru the handguard bolt hole. These work well, but lately I've used one from either Pa. Patriot or Ken at globelmilitarysurplus.com. Both work great and are affordable.

Lastly a great guide and resource is gunplumber's video tutorial and manual available from arizonaresponsesystems.com. Worth every penny and should answer all your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.