Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what my first AK build cost me. I just thought I'd put this together to give newer folks an idea of what it cost for a screw build at home using these common parts. A different receiver and parts kit would change the totals drastically. Also, your choice of US compliant parts would make a large difference. The cost list includes all shipping/tax/FFL fees already added in, basically everything I could think of for my screw built AKM.

$65 Vulcan receiver from Joeken group buy (includes FFL fee)
$170 Polish kit (Global)
$3 screws (McMaster-Carr)
$10 US brake (Global)
$25 FCG (Tapco - group buy)
$11 US floorplate/followers for six mags ("kfranz" at the FAL Files, and I think he posts here under the same handle)

I wanted the Polish laminated fixed stock so I traded even with the Polish underfolder that came with the kit.

I didn't include cost of items that can be reused for additional projects, such as the taps, drill bits, locktite, oils, etc. They cost under $20 locally anyhow. I purchased all the screws, taps, and drill bits from McMaster-Carr (highly recommended hardware supply house).

My screw build Polish AKM comes to $283 and that's including all shipping and FFL charges. Since I bought a completed receiver there are no worries about excise tax. A rivet build would be comparable in cost but it would require a few more tools. Also, as a bonus, there was no refinishing required - the receiver matched the kit perfectly and the kit was in as-new condition. The few very small assembly marks I touched up with cold blue.

So the bottom line is that I built a brand new Polish AKM in about a day, less than 5 hours actually, for well under $300. The gun looks new, smells new, and functions perfectly. Who needs a $300 SAR1 when you can build a nice Polish AKM for less money. Especially considering that shipping-FFL-taxes will drive the cost up considerably higher than the asking price.

What more can I say? I have enough screws left over to do several more rifles. I have two buddies and a wife who want one now. Time to get to work!

(.):nanabang:(.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cephus said:
What's the thread for this McMaster-Carrs So I can get me some screws.
Hmmm, okay, just in case you are serious I'll post this. :confused:

--------------------------------
http://www.mcmaster.com

I used 8-32, 10-32, and 1/4-28 button head screws.

91255A192 8-32 x 3/8" screws for triggerguard (5)
90760A009 8-32 nuts for triggerguard screws (5)
91255A550 1/4-28 x 1/4" screws for lower front trunion (2)
91255A261 10-32 x 1/4" screws for upper front trunion (4)
maybe also needed for rear trunion (4).
OR
91255A551 1/4-28 x 3/8" screws for rear trunion maybe (4)

Depending on the hole size in the rear trunion you might need either size of screw mentioned on the list.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cephus said:
No I wasn't kidding I didn't have it ,I thank you for the info now I'll put it to good use . I can't find then around were i live It's a small place with only one hardware store And no welding store I got to go 35 miles to a weldding supply house Good thing NAPA carries wire . BUT UPS knows were I live.
Okay cool. The liberal use of the smilies kinda threw me off. ;)

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Cammer I am very glad to hear you had great results. I knew you would. One thing you need to add to your cost evaluation. I however am not clear how to put a dollar amount on it. the PRIDE of building your own. the feeling you get fireing the firse few rounds out of it. lets face it is not like the first round out of a wally world gun. how about the pride for years to come when you tell others yes, you built it yourself. For some guys even handing them down in the family. if you give a son ten wally world guns and one that you made it will be the slecial one th him or her. All things of great value but I do not have a dollar amount.

PS I wonder if you filled in the allen heads or did you leve them alone.
I liked the look so I left them on mine AMD63

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing beats building your own guns. I've built FAL's, I've built a 1919a4. I've built 10-22's and 1911's and who knows what else I've tinkered with over the years, but this is the gun that I take out of the safe and wipe down when it's already clean. I love the looks of this gun. I never thought I'd get hooked on an AK. What's funny is that my wife loves it just as much. She had me show her how to field strip and clean it the other night. She hasn't shown nearly the same interest in the Rock River CAR15 I bought for her. She likes the way the AK handles and seems to be very comfortable with it. She's just a little thing too, only about 110 lbs of toughness. I'll just have to build one for her now also. :naughty: I'm glad I bought two of those Vulcan receivers - they have consecutive serial numbers so that will be a nice pair when the second build is done.

The best part of this AK is that my mother-in-law originally bought the kit for me. :lol:

hotbarrel said:
PS I wonder if you filled in the allen heads or did you leve them alone.
I liked the look so I left them on mine AMD63
I left the allen heads open. As much a fan of originality as I am, I surprised myself when I discovered that I kinda liked the look of the open screws.

I think for my second build I'm going to try the rivet approach. You've got me wanting to do that just so I can try out your fancy little bucking bar. Or maybe I'll wait on the rivets when I finally get the time to build my own receiver. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts