Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago, a man offered me a chance at a Class III gun that I always wanted. He asked me to make him an offer. I told him that I couldn't make an offer until we get our pay raise and bonus in March. March is here , so I offered him a fair amount for the gun. He emailed me yesterday and said that another guy is interested too. Do I go along with this and see what price he comes up with or do I spend $800.00 for the Ohio Ordnance Works VZ-58 receiver kit? This seems like a lot, but is much less than the Class II gun. To me the Class III gun is a collectable, more than a shooter, while the VZ-58 seems like the ultimate shooter!
Winn,
You probably have an idea what Class III I am looking at.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Understand the restrictions of a Class III weapon and then decide.

1. Everyone will know you have it (if you have that, what else do you have), and besides loose lips sinks ships (to many people in the process).

2. To take it out of your state to go to a shoot or whatever, you have to request permission to do so from the Tresuary Sec. (he can approve or disapprove, his option).

There are many more restictions than these, but to me those that I've listed are paramount.

The less people know about me (I know you can't keep hidden, but don't offer either) the better. I guess you can tell where I'm going with this!

I know people own Class III weapons and they don't seem to be to worried, but if anything goes down the gov'ment has your name.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have decided to go with the Ohio Ordnance VZ-2000 receiver and compliance kit for my VZ-58. I'll be the first on my block to have one !!!! That is if Ohio Ordnance sends me a detailed drawing on how that thing goes together.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scubadvr said:
Dont forget to keep us up to speed with pictures
The only thing holding me back is my accountant. I am waiting to see how I fared with the IRS. I would hate for my mad money to go to them. IRS...ATF...we're surrounded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
Understand the restrictions of a Class III weapon and then decide.

1. Everyone will know you have it (if you have that, what else do you have), and besides loose lips sinks ships (to many people in the process).

2. To take it out of your state to go to a shoot or whatever, you have to request permission to do so from the Tresuary Sec. (he can approve or disapprove, his option).

There are many more restictions than these, but to me those that I've listed are paramount.

The less people know about me (I know you can't keep hidden, but don't offer either) the better. I guess you can tell where I'm going with this!

I know people own Class III weapons and they don't seem to be to worried, but if anything goes down the gov'ment has your name.
NOT necessarily........I'm buying an AR18 which happens to be on the C+R list. I have a C+R FFL. I can take that anywhere without any prior permission/notification.

Lets face it, if you've ever bought a gun from a dealer(4473) the gov't has your name somewhere no matter what they say, and what the law states about eliminating the NICS check records too.

WHich f/a are you looking at getting? ANY of them are the way to go, if you can swing it. You can have your fun and still see it as an investment.
MAC's were $1200 all day long a year ago, now you can't find one for less than 2K.
AR18 a couple years ago was $4000-4500, 7K now
FNC's were $3500-4K two years ago, find me one for less than $6K on up.....
They ain't making any more of them.....At least not registerable legally for me and you.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 Pat,
I am a WWI buff and the only F/A I ever wanted was a Chauchat (well maybe a Thompson or Jap Type 99). Actually a dewat would do, but I was offered the registered one by a fellow from "gunboards". I have been buying all the 8mm Lebel ammo that I can find and even purchased a Chauchat mag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
gtbehary said:
1 Pat,
I am a WWI buff and the only F/A I ever wanted was a Chauchat (well maybe a Thompson or Jap Type 99). Actually a dewat would do, but I was offered the registered one by a fellow from "gunboards". I have been buying all the 8mm Lebel ammo that I can find and even purchased a Chauchat mag.
Isn't that the MG that the french stuffed with mud and pulled a string to puposely blow up(hiding behind a tree)????
Might be valuable but as a shooting iron :dunno:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 Patriot-of-many said:
Isn't that the MG that the french stuffed with mud and pulled a string to puposely blow up(hiding behind a tree)????
Might be valuable but as a shooting iron :dunno:
No. Actually a lot of people consider it the first "assault" rifle. When the US entered the war they used the Chauchat. Gen.Pershing wanted the gun to shoot standard 30-06 instead of the weaker 8mm Lebel. He was holding back the issuance of the BAR to be politically correct to our French and British Allies. The converted Chauchats didn't need any help with mud or such. They were poorly converted, plus they couldn't hold up to the 30-06 cartridge. When they did function , which was not often, they fell to pieces.
The 8mm Lebel version functioned fine and more decorations were given to American and French Chauchat teams than any other group in the war.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts