Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
well I think the easiest thing to screw up would be if you drilled to deep when drilling the trunion holes before you tap. this can be easily avoided by measuring first and marking your drill. you can also avoid over drilling by not drilling at all and useing rivets. for me the next thing that can be easy to mess up is to start pressing the darrel in without haveing the sights at exactly the top. you will notice they are off as the rear sight base comes over the trunion.
As for the toughest part, well your first one will be the toughest part. building confidance and some special tools. if you rivet you will need to make or buy a bucking bar of some typ. this was realy the most time consumeing thing for me, but now that it is done rivets are fun and easy. I do all 6 in the front in about 15 min. the next hardest thing will be pressing the barrel in as mentioned before.
realy the biggest obstical is realiseing you can do it :) and allmost anything you come up against someone here can advise you with.
I hope your next post is asking what kit to buy good luck hope this helps

·
Registered
286 Posts
The two things that gave me the biggest problems were getting the headspace just right on my first AMD and cutting the receiver about .050 too long so that the top cover would not stay put. Take your time, measure everything several times and get over the hurdle that is the first kit and then it is down hill from there. The confidance realized from the first successful build is absolutely huge. I'd say the single biggest aid in building my first one was in having a known good unit to measure from, SA85M. "Steady as she goes Captain, all ahead slow"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rule .308
I thought that I may have been the only one to make my receiver too long! Mine is a welded flat deal and I had already put it together just to find my cover was too short to stay locked into the rear sight block. I cheated and welded about a 1/4 inch extension onto the chamber end of the cover and then dremeled it to fit. It was about .050 off as well.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a kit and I am in the process of collecting everything needed. What is really needed is more time. Got an Ace blank and have been feverishly reading everything I need to read. That is why I am here too! To be with the cool kids that build the AK's! :notworthy

·
Registered
286 Posts
amdburner said:
Rule .308
I thought that I may have been the only one to make my receiver too long! Mine is a welded flat deal and I had already put it together just to find my cover was too short to stay locked into the rear sight block. I cheated and welded about a 1/4 inch extension onto the chamber end of the cover and then dremeled it to fit. It was about .050 off as well.
My first attempt at it was to drill two small holes in the back of the ears on the rear trunion and then drill and tap it for two small button head allen screws. It worked good but it was not the most asthetically pleasing arrangement. Then I bought my spot welder from HF to put in the lower rails so I made a piece that was contoured to the back of the cover, spot welded it, parked it, painted and baked it and it looks pretty darn good. Oh yeah and of course I had to weld up and refinish the two screw holes in the ears on that rear trunion DOH!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
I know this will be good for humility:

I've made center supports too long and bowed the receiver in the center.
I've welded the lower rails so that they didn't align with the trunnion lugs.
I've welded in upper rails crooked.
I've filed down trigger sear and hammer ears so that they sometimes would not catch for long and the gun would double.
I have put in hammers backwards.
I have put both front and rear trunnions in the wrong areas had to drill them out, reposition the holes, and weld up my messes.
I've put gas blocks on crooked.
I've cut too much of the stock when fitting them.
I have split four receivers by trying to bang in front grips that were too big.

And inevitably I'll laugh at it and be thankful that I'm not trying to make a living like this!

·
Registered
21 Posts
And may some of the knowledge you have gained just sort of work its way down to my place in Florida. :notworthy

·
Registered
51 Posts
biggest problem with my first build...

when its all done and the gun has a few hi-cups and you can't find the problem areas.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Byg said:
I think drilling the reciever for the trunion holes can be tricky,then I woould have to say riveting...
Also drilling out the old rivets in an AMD kit. If everything isn't perfectly centered and the mistake is caught to late...well (thank god for 1/4-28 screws to take the place of 10-32, lol).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drilled all the holes for a folder trunion full sized- cockeyed. They all ended up oval shaped when I corrected to fit. Now I go undersized till I have two rivets in then open the rest up with a dremel. Can you say K-VAR here? :rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts