Gunco Forums banner

Toughest part of the build?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  redneck_riveter 
The two things that gave me the biggest problems were getting the headspace just right on my first AMD and cutting the receiver about .050 too long so that the top cover would not stay put. Take your time, measure everything several times and get over the hurdle that is the first kit and then it is down hill from there. The confidance realized from the first successful build is absolutely huge. I'd say the single biggest aid in building my first one was in having a known good unit to measure from, SA85M. "Steady as she goes Captain, all ahead slow"

amdburner said:
Rule .308
I thought that I may have been the only one to make my receiver too long! Mine is a welded flat deal and I had already put it together just to find my cover was too short to stay locked into the rear sight block. I cheated and welded about a 1/4 inch extension onto the chamber end of the cover and then dremeled it to fit. It was about .050 off as well.
My first attempt at it was to drill two small holes in the back of the ears on the rear trunion and then drill and tap it for two small button head allen screws. It worked good but it was not the most asthetically pleasing arrangement. Then I bought my spot welder from HF to put in the lower rails so I made a piece that was contoured to the back of the cover, spot welded it, parked it, painted and baked it and it looks pretty darn good. Oh yeah and of course I had to weld up and refinish the two screw holes in the ears on that rear trunion DOH!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.