Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the column which prompted the one mentioned in another thread - Angry responses show reasonable gun control is far off

After so many shootings, even gun lovers should back control

I love guns and my Constitutional right to have them. I wanted to get that out first, before the NRA-types start firing their verbal attacks at me.

I grew up in the heart of gun culture in rural Virginia, happily progressing from a BB gun to a .22 to a .410 to a 12-gauge, blasting away at everything from tin cans to deer, loving even the sulfuric smell of spent ammo.

I understand America's love affair with guns.

But that love affair has gone way astray for too many of us.

The latest evidence was the shooting near Kernersville Nov. 11.

As most of Forsyth County now knows, a madman apparently enraged over property disputes charged into a Vance Road neighborhood and started blasting away with a high-powered rifle. He fatally shot Sgt. James Johnson, a reserve deputy; Reba Idol; and her son-in-law, Dwight Allen.

Finally, in an amazing show of guts, Cpl. Jeremy Rowley of the sherrif's office seriously injured the gunman during an exchange of gunfire in which Rowley was also seriously injured. Denny Carson Booth, a former resident of the neighborhood, faces charges of murder and attempted murder.

Before you write the whole thing off as an isolated incident, some sort of aberration, consider this: Back in 2000, Bryan Dennis Bruns fatally shot his 6-year-old son, Michael, then killed himself in the front yard of their Kernersville house, just a few doors down from Pine Grove United Methodist, the church where the funeral was held for Idol and Allen last week.

What a heartbreaking, senseless waste both incidents were.

Granted, they were relatively rare as multiple killings, but there's still too much gun violence in Forsyth County and the rest of this bloody land.

Americans are split in their approach to the problem, with advocates on one side for gun control and the powerful NRA on the other for little control. People of faith are split as well, with the social-justice crowd saying more gun control is needed and the conservative side saying salvation will solve the problem. The conservative Bush administration recently let the needed assault weapons ban die.

And in the broad middle are too many people maintaining a "wicked silence" on the issue as gun deaths and injuries continue. There are, however, some encouraging efforts to break that silence. A year after the Bruns shooting, for example, Pine Grove United Methodist held a program at which topics included gun control.

We all owe it to ourselves and our children to confront the problem of gun violence.

And that's especially true of us gun owners. There's just too much room for accidents and anger. It's a wonder more of us aren't dead.

At 16, I used to go out cruising with a snub-nose .22 revolver loaded and ready in the console of my car. I'm lucky I'm not writing these lines from a prison cell.

Not that age brought reason.

I kept a handgun until just a few years ago, when I finally realized that civilians don't need handguns and turned it over to police to be ground into scrap metal. With their easy concealment, handguns are the weapon of choice of killers and robbers.

I still miss my handgun, as stupid as that sounds, especially coming from a Quaker. Maybe that says something about how weird and overpowering our national love affair with guns is.

But handguns, of course, are just one big part of the big problem of gun violence. The Vance Road gunman was shooting a rifle. I don't think long guns should be made illegal for civilians - except for assault rifles. I own three shotguns and a .22-caliber rifle.

Such sporting arms should never be taken from sportsmen or sportswomen. But it should be obvious to even the oblivious that other forms of gun control are needed. We need laws mandating trigger locks, safe storage of guns and longer waiting periods when purchasing them. We need the assault weapons ban revived.

And as much as I used to like to buy ammunition in bulk when it was on sale, such purchasing should be cracked down on as well. Deputies say Booth had hundreds of rounds of ammo in the vehicle he drove to the shooting scene and more at his house. If it hadn't been for Rowley and Johnson - who were off duty - more people might well have been killed.

That was just one bad guy with a lot of ammo. All across this country, there are surely thousands of people with just as much ammo as Booth had stored up and more. A few such hoarders, if not more, crack every year. That in addition to all the other shootings this nation endures.

We mourn the killings of those close to us, maybe even mumble about the need for gun control, then quickly forgot about the issue. But it's time we all took it up, everyone from gun haters to gun lovers. Because sooner or later the shots will be ringing out in your neighborhood - if they aren't already.

Railey is the Journal's local editorial writer. He can be reached at [email protected]

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
They always purport to be part of the "gun culture". Just like the Dem operatives that called into talk shows or even gun forums pretending to be Republicans who no longer could support Bush.

It smells.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
The media....Yawhn......

I am a suburban housewife who was raised in the country and was allways surounded by firearms of the gun culture.I support the second ammendment and support hunters rights to hunt but dont think anyone should be allowed to own firearms because I watched a program on TV where a gun was used to commit a crime.So we (all right thinking dim.........oops......I mean repugs) must all band together and round up the gun toting maniacs and kill them for our own and our children's sake. :sick:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Clay. We need to find out who that guys boss is. We need to start there and then go to his or her boss. We need to let them know that they are atacking our "God Given Rights". We should sue that A-Hole.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If we had the reasonable gun control laws he suggested, they would not have prevented the murders.

First, what do trigger locks do, anyway? You have to take ammo out of the gun before using it, don't you?

Second, the AWB had nothing to do with the shootings. Although the rifle has yet to be identified as anything but a "high pwered semiautomatic rifle," my guess is the rifle had never been banned as an assault weapon. If there were no semi-auto assault weapons, what would stop him from using another semiauto or a bolt action rifle? Hell, talk about high-powered, look at a .303!

Third, requiring safe storage laws, as they have in Great Britain, would not have prevented any murders.

What he, and others, really want is to make it illegal for citizens to possess firearms. Yep, that law might have prevented the murders, where homicide laws didn't?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Achtung, achtung!

Ve had not taken than in mind, Herr Cephus ...

sooo, now the authorites know and understand what will be ...

...the Final Solution of der Gun Owners!!!!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
AClay47 said:
People of faith are split as well, with the social-justice crowd saying more gun control is needed and the conservative side saying salvation will solve the problem. The conservative Bush administration recently let the needed assault weapons ban die.
I try to watch myself and not overuse religion, but I think it fits here. A lot of people see religious people as passive and people that can easily be ran over. Jesus reference to "turn the other cheek" didn't mean not to react, but not to react without thinking about what you're going to do. More times than not, a level-headed reaction yields more than one done in anger. In Luke 22:36 Jesus tells his disciples that if they don't have a sword, to sell their clothes and buy one. So not only is "the right to keep and bear arms" a Constitutional right, but a Biblical right as well.

The problem we face today with gun violence is not because of the guns, but because we do not have strict enough punishment when people misuse them. If you have a flat tire on your car, you do not raise the hood and check the oil and expect that action to fix the tire. If you want to fix the tire, you work on the tire. If you want to stop gun violence, you punish the ones that misuse them. You do not punish the ones that don't.

I'll give one more Bible verse and then I'll shut up.

Ezra 7:26 And whosoever will not do the law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether it be unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts