Gunco Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some problems with an unknown caller harrasing me, is there any way I can find out who this is? Mostly is messages on my voice mail, but I have talked to this person twice.

I would change my phone number but this person's mental stability imo is rather questionable, and i'm not sure what kind of reaction I would get if I did.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Easy, just call the phone company and complain that you are receiving harrassing phone calls. They can handle it quickly.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But will they be able to tell me who this person is, or at least the phone number where they are calling from?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What Pogo says. That's best.

What some people do, before realizing what a good idea it is to call the phone company, is retaliate by blowing a whistle in the phone, or simply setting the phone down, so the idiot talks to himself -that deprives him of the pleasure of knowing you listened to him.

What one raido station did - I know because I have the audio - is they responded with a sound board. What is that? It is a set of recorded sound bites. They had an Arnold Schwartzenneger sound board, so the guy had a discussion with Arnold. "Howdy Stranger," said Arnold in his heavy Austrian accent. "Don't howdy stranger me," the guy replied. "Howdy stranger, howdy stranger, howdy stranger..." It was hysterical. "Who is your father, and what did he do," demanded Arnold? The guy responded, "My father was a dik, he didn't believe in anything, and that's why I am what I am today!" The call is hilarious, because the guy was so drunk he couldn't tell he was being pranked.

You can download a free soundboard at:

http://www.celebritysoundboards.com/soundboards.shtml

They have a selection ranging from Judge Judy to Arnold to Full Metal Jacket. If anyone wants a copy of the Arnold prank call I mentioned, just let me know and I'll send you a copy. It's hysterical.

Still, Pogo's advice is best and most effective. Yes, they can trace the call.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
They used to make you keep a log of the calls and when they were convinced there was a problem they would turn it over to the police.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Depending on the area you could get caller id, or some companies have an automatic trace system, after the third trace they start investigating, check your local phone book, details will be on the first few pages.

I had a problem with one of the neighbor's girls calling one of my boys in the middle of the night and hanging up and caller id took care of it, but then we found it so useful we decided to keep it.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Show up as a blocked caller on the id.

I'm not sure if this person knows where I live, but they do know the location of my job and have called there looking for me.

My one conversation with this person( if you could call it that) led me to belive thier sanity is left to some question.

The phone is not in my name, so from my understanding I can't do much with the phone comany.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
But the phone owner can. Your boss can. Its a criminal offense in most, if not all jurisidictions, to make harassing phone calls, whether to to owner of the phone, or a member of the household. By tracing the call, the phone company can determine who is making the calls. Blocking one phone number will not prevent a deranged person from using another. If it were me, I would call the local police or sheriff and make a criminal complaint. They will get you going from there.

Just do it, or if you want to have fun - use a sound board. Give me an email address, and I'll send you a copy of the call I mentioned.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
klauss said:
Show up as a blocked caller on the id.

I'm not sure if this person knows where I live, but they do know the location of my job and have called there looking for me.

My one conversation with this person( if you could call it that) led me to belive thier sanity is left to some question.

The phone is not in my name, so from my understanding I can't do much with the phone comany.
There is a code for blocking those calls if you have caller id.

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called the phone company, they said keep a log of the time/date and after 5 or 6 calls they should be able to trace it. I just hope this person's dumb enough to call from the same phone.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
tjames1 said:
Have a party with several of your local Gunco members over and invite the caller. :)
I agree. Perhaps we can make the caller "see the error of his ways."
:hyper: A little physical therapy as it were.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hope the phone company can get them easily, caller ID being blocked probably will make no difference to the phone company. Looks like technology has made it easier than it used to be in the past - used to be you had to get them to install a "black box" on your line, whatever that is.

If you find yourself on the phone with them, what I generally have done with those sorts of calls is just put the phone receiver down very very gently so the person can't tell I'm no longer listening and walk away.

Oh, by the way, what are you wearing? You can't tell what I'm doing...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts