Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my Polish kit from FAC and it's not in great shape. The hand guard is worn, there are small rust spots everywhere and upon inspection of the barrel, there is a semi-circular cut about 0.5mm into the the top half of the end of barrel most likely from diassembly. The trunnion shows no such cut so I'm not sure how it was cut. Is it still usable? Should I file it down smooth? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have to agree if you do not send it back you will allways wish you did. I know it stinks delaying for the replacement but a couple weeks delay compaired to years of I wish I had. :confused:

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
ChrisAKG said:
there is a semi-circular cut about 0.5mm into the the top half of the end of barrel most likely from diassembly. :
Are you talking about the extractor cut?

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
If it were me, I would not be concerned about the cut. I would be more concerned about the overall quality... everyone usually raves about how nice these kits are, so I would have to say that I'd return it then get one from Globaltrades.com

I picked up a G-3 kit w/ collapsing stock from FAC a few years ago, and it was in piss-poor condition. At the time they were the only game in town so I bought it but like others said "I always wished I sent it back".

FWIW.
- Jerry

·
Registered
62 Posts
First, the Polish kits from FAC are from Global. I think this has been posted elsewhere by Harlan of FAC. The last two kits I got from Global had the rust spots too. I didn't say anything since they were going to be refinished, there was no pitting, and the bore was good. The "semi-circular cut about 0.5mm into the the top half of the end of barrel" is where the barrel retaining pin passes thru the edge of the barrel on it's way thru the trunnion. All previously assembled kits will have this. In fact, when the barrel is pressed into the trunnion at assembly, this "cut" is what you line up with the hole in the trunnion to get your headspace on matching number kits.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I was thinking barrel pin too but he said 0.5MM that is TINY. realy hard to tell without a photo. maby galling from removal??? If it is galling then Yes I allways sand the high spots off, not file, and not sand out the gouges or it will be undersize. only the high spots.
still rusty it should go back

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my polish kit from FAC, mine was in very nice shape. My buddy ordered his from Global Trades and paid the extra for the select kit and it dosn't look any better than mine. I'd send it back, you must have just got a bad one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DrugRunR said:
Are you talking about the extractor cut?
No, this "cut" or nick along side of the extractor cut as if it were dropped. Too late now anyway, the kit is gone and I have another to replace it. :)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
GOOD CALL ... A small delay now compaired to years of "I wish I did" and now I am stuck with it. even just for the bad hand guard you will allways see it and allways regret it, So again GOOD CALL :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts