Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened on CNN covering the Tsunami stuff. They were showing the total of the missing from European and Nordic countries.

I didn't catch the total from Swededn, but it must have been high because they said almost everyone in Sweden will be affected by this.

They showed how the coast of Sri Lanka moved from Satelite photos and they said some smaller populated island were erased from the planet. I had not heard that yet.

They of course showed many parents wailing over bodies of toddler sized children and many bodies laid out. Very sad and I cannot get my mind around it.

BTW: I heard today that Amazon is taking donations through the same service we use for our donation link. It's over 1 million in private donations now if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
They said they are still looking for more people. The toll is up to 100,000 dead right now. By the time its over it will have cost us up to $100 million in aid. Glad to see some money going out to help in relief like this.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
The Maldives. A small Island country right in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
They were right in the line of fire, and their highest point of elevation is only 1 meter above sea level.
Not good.

Kinda puts it into persective of how fragile people are when Mother Earth needs to do some minor adjusting.
The Island of Sumatra moved 100 meters west and seven meters up and down on eash side.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ziggy0300 said:
Cnn now saying that a 60 ft or higher wave and resulting wall of water went inland for 10 miles near the epicenter (Sumatra).
Wow! I did see some footage last night that I had not seen before. The water was at least 30 feet deep and a wall coming in, but I do not know what country it was.

People I know keep saying why didn't those people run or get up on something? It's so hard to understand what happened and just how immense it was when it did.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Sea

"I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea--whether it is to sail or to watch it--we are going back from whence we came.

--
September 14, 1962, Public Papers of the Presidents: 1962, p. 684.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Today on CNBC they showed home video coverage of the waves and people trying to hold on to their children. The miracle baby re-united with his father was amazing. They found the boy unconscious on top of a hill. They are still looking for the wife(mother).

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Have you heard that the earthquake may have very slightly shifted the earths axis and messed with the spin enough to shorten or days a few micro-seconds. "Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, as saying the gravity shift might have been enough to shorten the daily rotation rate by a few microseconds ? but it will be weeks before we know for sure."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts