Gunco Forums banner

Twice A Year Christians

1K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  W.T. Sherman 
#1 ·
I just returned from Christmas Church servvices and I saw folks there that I only see in Church at Christmas and Easter..........don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see these folks at Church, I would just like to see them there more often. This is not a rant.........just an observation.
Merry Christmas folks.:)

#3 ·
I was just elected to an Elder post in my church, yep.....see the 2 hour a year Christians twice a year......we just pray that they find the time to become full-time Christians.........Merry Christmas folks....May God bless and keep you and yours.

#4 ·
I have to admit with my work scedual I have only gotten to church when I was out of work with and injury. I went when I was burned. I work with a guy that came to my shift and went back to a less desirable shift just to be able go to church, I have a lot of respect for him and his decision. I am very shure he will be rewarded for his sacrofice.

#6 ·
Preacher said:
Well I try to make it out more than twice a year.

I wonder why... :D :D lol

#7 ·
Gwitness said:
I was just elected to an Elder post in my church, yep.....see the 2 hour a year Christians twice a year......we just pray that they find the time to become full-time Christians....
I don't believe in any so called "god" or a "jesus".......but what does going to a "church" have anything to do with being a good "christian" or a full time "christian", or for that matter a good person. BTW what the hell is a "full time christian"? isn't your "god" everywhere? or can it only be found in "chruches", and how do you know it's your "church" it's in, and not a synagogue? does he have a exclusive contract to your place of "worship"?

so if a person decides to skip the dogma of a "church" how is he any less "christian" then you are? maybe he is more of a "christian" then you, in his every day life in acts and deeds, and not because of his attendance record......you like other people judge someone you have no clue who or what they are about simply by judging them on their attendance of a "church" or affliation to some organization on a regular basis......gee that is mighty "chrstian" of you

I don't believe in any fairy tale 'god" and I am a good person......I don't try to screw people over, commit crimes, or do any perverse acts with anyone........but I suppose to you, because I don't believe in some "jesus" or "god" I'm somehow a bad person .......maybe you would feel more conformable with having you child camp with a priest, then a person who is a non-believer

I have seen the so called every sunday go to church "christians" fuck over their fellow man, then the ones that don't believe.

#8 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
I don't believe in any fairy tale 'god" and I am a good person......I don't try to screw people over, commit crimes, or do any perverse acts with anyone........but I suppose to you, because I don't believe in some "jesus" or "god" I'm somehow a bad person .......maybe you would feel more confortable with having you child camp with a priest, then a person who is a non-believer

I have seen the so called every sunday go to church "christians" fuck over there fellow man, then the ones that don't believe.
No one said you weren't a good person.....................however after that unprovoked attack on people that do believe in Jesus............perhaps you might want to look in the mirror and tell yourself what a good person you are..........and keep repeating it...........you might believe it..........I don't.

#10 ·
where in my post did I attack folks that believe in a "jesus"? I simply stated that I don't believe in a "jesus" or a fairy tale 'god" .....you believe in a "god" I say it's a fantasy......so how is that attacking anyone who believes in that? I didn't redicule anyone who believes in that....unless you have the point of view that anyone that doesn't believe is attacking you. you are reading things that aren't even there.

#11 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
where in my post did I attack folks that believe in a "jesus"? I simply stated that I don't believe in a "jesus" or a fairy tale 'god" ......I didn't attack anyone who believes in that.......it's my view. you are reading things that aren't even there.
Whatever.

#12 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
I don't believe in any so called "god" or a "jesus".......but what does going to a "church" have anything to do with being a good "christian" or a full time "christian", or for that matter a good person......so if a person decides to skip the dogma of a "church" how is he any less "christian" then you are?
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

We go to church to show Thanksgiving and appreciation to God. I don't know if you have a family or not, but if you do, Wouldn't you rather see your family or friends than to have them stay home and say "Well I was thinking about you?" We are told not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, and that is something that I take very seriously. I am not one of those people that are only religous on Sunday morning and forget about it the rest of the week.

I can see Gwitness's point. If you are going to put forth the effort to be a Christian, then do it all the way. This is an issue that you should not straddle the fence on.
W.T. Sherman said:
I have seen the so called every sunday go to church "christians" f*** over their fellow man, then the ones that don't believe
OK Sherm, I not going to have a shouting match with you. Because some of the types you talk about, I see them too. But it's just like how everyone one here gets fighting mad every time someone gets shot, some group yells "Get rid of the guns." The media portrays all gun owners as psychotic nuts that are going to kill somebody. That's definately not true and neither is all religion bad because of hypocrites that do not take their religion seriosly.

I hope that you don't take this as a personal attack but I feel that I had to stand my ground on this issue. I know folks that never go to church that will do you a favor faster than half of the people that fill the church. But that doesn't mean that there are not those of us that do take our religion seriously!

#13 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
where in my post did I attack folks that believe in a "jesus"? I simply stated that I don't believe in a "jesus" or a fairy tale 'god" .....you believe in a "god" I say it's a fantasy......so how is that attacking anyone who believes in that? I didn't redicule anyone who believes in that....unless you have the point of view that anyone that doesn't believe is attacking you. you are reading things that aren't even there.
You'de better hope you're right there Sherman, I'm just not willing to take the chance.

Although my little girls Grandfather takes her to church every Sunday, I'll pop in from time to time.When his day passes I'll take over for him.

Whenever my friends take my baby to go see the Christmas lights, my daughter will tell them all about the baby Jesus. She knows her Bible Verses better than I. The Church has givin her a base in life, she knows right from wrong, and how people should be treated.

I'm not taking any chances with her either!

#14 ·
W.T. Sherman,
I consider mysef to be a very comitted agnostic. I don't know if I believe what most churches preach. Your post was very inflammatory. As if you were trying to purposely piss people off. Try to have a reasonable, educated, logical debate. We make it a point to NOT have "wars" here at Gunco.

#15 ·
Because of the exquisite fine tuning of the universe, the atheist must believe in the existence of a "super universe" which randomly spews out universes with differing physical laws. What scientific evidence exists to support this model? None! Not only is there no evidence, the physics of our own universe requires that we will never be able to obtain evidence about any other universe (even if one does exist). Therefore this belief is, and always will be, based solely upon blind faith! Some cosmologists are "uncomfortable" with the fine tuning of the universe simply because such fine tuning suggests design and (oh no!) a Designer...

#16 ·
Strange Destiny said:
W.T. Sherman,
Your post was very inflammatory. As if you were trying to purposely piss people off. Try to have a reasonable, educated, logical debate. We make it a point to NOT have "wars" here at Gunco.
by stating a different point of view that is called "inflammatory" I responded to it with a point of view that just because someone who doesn't go 52 weeks a year to a church is somehow not a "full time christian". You tell me what makes a "full time christian"? is there a attendance sheet in a "heaven" and if you don't go as much as the next person, you don't get in? who says that because you don't go to "church" or go once or twice a year you are somehow a less then decent person? the people who run organized religion, and have a stake in the financial base of it from ?donations??

think about it??who says that just because you don?t go X amount of times that means you are less of a ?chrsitian? then a ?chrsitian? who worships at home? Who made that decision? I always thought that living and following the ?teaching of jesus? and believing in that he is the ?son of a god? and a "savior" is a ?christian???guess from some of the answers giving here, that might not be the case. So if that is the case?.maybe someone who goes to ?church? more times then you do might say you are not a true ?christian?

people can believe what they want, but to say that because so-and-so doesn't go every week they are not true "christians". is Kinda like if someone doesn?t follow the dogma of a political party fully, or contribute to it he isn?t really a conservative or a liberal.

as for believing in a "god" that is one's chocie......but who is to say that you are "worshipping" the right "god"? kinda profound seeing there is a whole bunch of them that have been "worshipped" and replaced by others......maybe the "god" that was replaced by this one, is the real "god" and you are all worshipping a wrong one......kinda would be funny to see ""osiris" or "odin" at the entrance and he says......."oh sorry, but you were wrong"

I believe that "god" is nothing more then a made up story by ignorant people long ago to try to explain the existence of the universe, and to have this fantasy that you don't really die, but go on living somewhere else, whether it's a "heaven" "valhalla" or other such nonsense......humans are the only animal on the planet that are keenly aware they only have a limited time to live, so they desperately want to believe that when they die, they don't really die, but go on to somewhere else to 'live" and the best way to do that is to believe in whatever 'god" "deity" is the flavor at the time.

#17 ·
I think you have missed the point of this thread Sherman, The point was.......Persons who claim the title of Christianity, and then?.........nothing.

It is a whole lot more than just attend Christmas and Easter services, No-one here is making accusations against anybody.......maybe some chiding, but We're all adults are we not?.

#18 ·
W.T. Sherman said:
as for believing in a "god" that is one's chocie......but who is to say that you are "worshipping" the right "god"? kinda profound seeing there is a whole bunch of them that have been "worshipped" and replaced by others......maybe the "god" that was replaced by this one, is the real "god" and you are all worshipping a wrong one......kinda would be funny to see ""osiris" or "odin" at the entrance and he says......."oh sorry, but you were wrong"
When osiris or odin are hung on a cross and then come back in 3 days, then we'll talk. Until then, I'll pray for you.

#19 ·
Preacher said:
When osiris or odin are hung on a cross and then come back in 3 days, then we'll talk. Until then, I'll pray for you.
I don't know......old odin hung for nine days, pierced by his own spear, on the world tree. Here he learned nine powerful songs, and eighteen runes. Odin can make the dead speak to question the wisest amongst them. kinda makes 3 days dead and then walking out, kinda lame.......point is every time frame had a "god"......just depends on when you are born you will believe whatever story is popular at the time........it's "jesus" today.....in the future it will be something else to replace it......it happened through the history of the world......don't think this is the last "god" or "savior" that will be "worshipped" something will come around and replace it.

#20 ·
I don't go to church much anymore. Frankly, I do believe in a higher being, but to me, sometimes, churhes seem to be a mix of people that don't practice what they preach, or are not sure HOW to practice what they preach, and people that try to make me practice what they preach, while they may or may not practice. I may not have a good understanding of such things, but this is what I see.

An interesting quote I heard about the "We sprang from the primordial swamp group think":

"Those that beleive that we humans, and the life we have here on Earth, are the result of some great cosmic "accident" that caused us to crawl out of the swamps, must also believe that a tornado can blow across a junk yard and leave a fully functional 747 in its wake."

Something like that.

#22 ·
WTS, I agree with many of the things you have to say. Just calm down a little. I am only saying that it seemed you were purposely spoiling for a fight and argument, not a discussion or debate.
Many people are very selective about type, level, and timing of their beliefs.
I think there a lot of "occasion" christians. Wouldn't it be funny is Loki was waiting for you when you died. Actually, I think I will go to Xanadu.
We each have to approach it as we see fit. I am part of a sub-culture that is degraded and despised by christians and other religions, all the time. That's O.K., they can say whatever they want, just don't try to hurt my children.

#23 ·
Johnson said:
I don't go to church much anymore. Frankly, I do believe in a higher being, but to me, sometimes, churhes seem to be a mix of people that don't practice what they preach, or are not sure HOW to practice what they preach, and people that try to make me practice what they preach, while they may or may not practice. I may not have a good understanding of such things, but this is what I see.
Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

You are right. Far too many people in the Church do not take it seriously. And this not coming from someone on the outside, but from someone right in the middle. Several folks have raised an eyebrow at me because I'm a "gun totin' Preacher" as they like to say. They just can't figure out why a Preacher needs weapons, and I always refer them to this verse:

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

And that's coming from Jesus.

But folks seem to like to only read the parts of the Bible that fits their lifestyle and ignore the rest. I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand everything, but the more I study, the more I understand. But it definately takes a lot of diligence to get on top of things. I try to do my best.

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

#24 ·
Strange Destiny said:
I am part of a sub-culture that is degraded and despised by christians and other religions, all the time. That's O.K., they can say whatever they want, just don't try to hurt my children.
I could never despise you SD, Cephus won't let me. I may disagree, but not despise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.