Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for U.S. black plastic upper and lower handguards(lower for a AMD-65 Front trunnion), went to most of the usual sites but can't seem to find them. K-VAR has the lower but only an upper for a AK-74(which I don't think will work). As a substitue I would use foreign but prefer U.S. made.

Any help tracking these down is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm pretty sure the black handguards ACE lists are manufactuered by Choate. They do have a more traditional AK47 look compared to the US made AK100 series K-var offers. I believe they were primarily mfgd. to fit Chinese AK's so the lower h.g. would probably require a little fitting. I've read they heat up pretty quick as they don't have a heat shield, perhaps the Choate upper h.g. with the K-var lower h.g. would be an option.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACE did have them but I didn't like the look. So I called K-VAR and asked them if the AK-74 Upper would fit the standard AK gas tube and they said "Yes". But that the standard gas tube wouldn't fit the AMD -63 or 65.

Will since I'm going to use this on a AMD-65 I knew that I was going to have to cut the tube and I hoping that was all. I remember someone posting that they had to Dremel a little metal off the rear sight end to get it to fit. Anyone do this?

Well, I ordered a bunch of goodies from K-VAR, including the lower handguard (for Hungarian Rifles) and the AK-74 upper handguard plus a Gas tube (Romanian). By the time I got done the bill was $175.00. That crap adds up fast.

My total for today was $600.00...DAMN!!!! K-VAR, ENCO, Brownell's, Grizzly, TAPCO and OnLine Metals got me good today. Maybe I should get a job to pay for all this.

·
Registered
514 Posts
KVAR's upper will be just fine on a '65... but you WILL need a gas tube that accepts an upper HG. Several people have cut down & flared standard Gas Tubes - a drop in is an SA85 "short gas tube". I'm doing one of these right now...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trotsky said:
KVAR's upper will be just fine on a '65... but you WILL need a gas tube that accepts an upper HG. Several people have cut down & flared standard Gas Tubes - a drop in is an SA85 "short gas tube". I'm doing one of these right now...
I ordered a Romanian gas tube. I've heard of the short SA85 tube but have never seen them for sale. Where did you get yours?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts