1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Yeah it does, but I'm at work.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
That happens to me sometimes. After a while I just get up, take a shower, and get dressed. Usually the next night I can sleep pretty good.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
magnus392 said:
Well it is around 3:30am and for the second night in a row I am wide awake from a dead sleep. This sucks....
well next time this happens I'll send over my dogs who don't sleep and ya'll can just have a party and maybe I CAN get some sleep :biggrin:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I get insomnia pretty bad and the more sleep I miss the worse it gets. I take something to sleep almost every night with the baby waking so many times. If I don't I won't sleep at all for days on end. I cannot do that! Even though my wife gets up during the week nights she can pass right out again 90% of the time.

Tonight I'll be pulling baby duty and I'm sure I'll be way out of wack tomorrow morning which will probably cause some domestic conflicts.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
A while back, my wife had an hour drive one-way to her job. She was working afternoon shift which made her getting home about 1am. I would wait up for her on the couch and with all that waiting, I've gooten in the habit of not being able to sleep without the tv. I try going to bed but I just toss and turn all night. Come back to the couch and i'll be asleep in 5 min. I guess I'll just have to get myself so tired that I'll sleep anywhere so I can stay in bed all night.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I have no problem falling or staying asleep. I cannot make it through a movie, a race, a football game without a snooze. I have just the opposite problem--I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat :sleep: well that is if I'm sitting still for longer than like 5 mins..........lol if I'm active--I can stay up til the next morning

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There's three kind of insomnia: Primary (can't get to sleep), Secondary (can't stay asleep), and Tertiary (early morning awakening).

Sounds like you suffer from Secondary, possibly Tertiary. Point being that both are often driven by anxiety, and both generally are made worse by using alcohol to settle yourself down before you go to sleep (because there's a rebound effect when the alcohol wears off).

That said...

I've had Secondary and Tertiary since I got my pacemaker put in for some reason. And the dope the doc gives me leaves me feeling more wasted the next day than sleeplessness does (have always hated downers, never figured out what the supposed charm of Quaaludes was). Yeah, not much exciting happening at 3AM.

If it gets to where you're considering seeing a doc for it, Restoril is a good sleeping pill, available in generic so it's cheap, and it's claim to fame is that it doesn't leave you drugged out in the morning. Alas, it doesn't work for me, but it does for most folks.
If you have a tendency to abuse drugs and you're at risk of getting strung out, your doc could do off-label prescribing for you - i.e. since sleeping pills are addicting, instead prescribe a pill that's intended for something else but has a sedating side effect (most commonly an antidepressant) and you can't get strung out on it. An over-the-counter drug that can be used off-label for insomnia is 25mg Benadryl, an antihistamine with sedating side effects, available in cheap generic form.

And you can never go wrong with black tar heroin.

If it only lasts for a few days, I wouldn't worry about it, though.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have always had trouble sleeping through the night but ussually I just roll over and it is all good and I am drooling again in no time. But the past two night I just sat straight up like it was time to rock and roll. I have been running short on sleep so maybe that is it. Cause it has been happening after about 6hrs...which is what I had been getting...so who knows. No pills for me. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
magnus392 said:
No pills for me. :D
Good plan. Stick with the heroin. It's just about impossible to OD on it if you smoke it instead of inject it. Careful you don't get strung out, though: Don't do it more than a couple of times a week, once a week would be better.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
aviator said:
Six hours???? That's about all I sleep everyday.

They say as you get older you sleep less.
Don't believe it Aviator............hell, I even have a nap in the afternoon when I have the time.:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
magnus392 said:
Well when I was a baby I mom would wake me up every hour or so to check on me and the habit has stuck...
Well, no wonder you can't get a good nights' sleep. But don't you think after 23 years it's time for mom to stop?

She really needs to break that habit.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Preacher said:
A while back, my wife had an hour drive one-way to her job. She was working afternoon shift which made her getting home about 1am. I would wait up for her on the couch and with all that waiting, I've gooten in the habit of not being able to sleep without the tv. I try going to bed but I just toss and turn all night. Come back to the couch and i'll be asleep in 5 min. I guess I'll just have to get myself so tired that I'll sleep anywhere so I can stay in bed all night.
I can't sleep without the tv on either. If the power goes out and the TV goes off I'm instantly awake.
Magnus while I know Dzerzhinsky is kidding about the heroin, I think he's right about the Benadryl, it works for me and it's pretty safe, its what makes Tylenol PM work.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep, 25mg Benadryl is pretty safe stuff. Learned about its use as a sleeping pill when I used to work as a counselor in a county jail: They used to give it to the inmates. Cheap, effective, and non-addicting. I forget the name for its generic form, but your pharmacist would know: It's much, much cheaper in the generic form.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm...I may have to check that out. I will see how it goes tonight and let y'all know. I am already starting to get a headache...probalby the weather change or something. Yesterday it was 70 and sunny...today is snowed from noon on, and still is...Texas...don't like the weather hang out a bit it will change;)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Yep, 25mg Benadryl is pretty safe stuff. Learned about its use as a sleeping pill when I used to work as a counselor in a county jail: They used to give it to the inmates. Cheap, effective, and non-addicting. I forget the name for its generic form, but your pharmacist would know: It's much, much cheaper in the generic form.
My own doctor recommended this for me 7al years ago. It worked.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts