Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geared up for my favorite video double-feature this weekend:

"The Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificant Seven"

"The Seven Samurai" is a brilliant 1954 Japanese movie that was remade in 1960 into the classic Western, "The Magnificant Seven". I think the idea of remaking a samurai flick into a Western, adapting an Eastern idiom to a Western one, was a brilliant idea.

Kirosawa, the fellow who did "The Seven Samurai" was also into transmuting Eastern/Western idioms: His "Ran" is an adaptation of Shakespeare's "King Lear" to medieval Japan. "Ran" contains arguably the best presentation of medieval Japanese warfare ever filmed.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
That's the one Yul Brynner is in isn't it? If so, that's a good one. I'm gonna try to find a copy of it and watch it again.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pogo said:
That's the one Yul Brynner is in isn't it? If so, that's a good one. I'm gonna try to find a copy of it and watch it again.
Yep, that's the one. Strongly recommend chasing down a copy of "The Seven Samurai" to watch first in a double-feature. It's fun noting the similarities and the differences, and it gives you an appreciation for the adaptation and for the similarities between the Japanes samurai and American cowboy icons.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'll do that. Can't say I remember ever hearing of The Seven Samurai. Sounds interesting.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
The Seven Samuria was good, but to be brilliant it would have to be an hour shorter. And the damn villiagers with their whining! UUUGH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts