Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my vulcan receiver and it is stamped 7.62x39 but i thought these fit both rounds the 7.62 and the 5.45 anybody know

andrew

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Vulan receivers have ejectors that are long enough for 5.45 and you would need to grind a little off of the ejecter if you build it in 7.62

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would check to see if the ejector is harden........there was a post on the AKFILES of someone built on a hesse/vulcan receiver, and he showed a picture of the ejector rail that was mushroomed after just a couple hundred rounds........with the reputation that hesse has, I still don't understand why folks buy from him......there is no quality control or any decent workmanship on the so called "firearms" he makes, why do people take a chance on their receiver? saving a few bucks wouldn't be my priority......company reputation and workmanship would be.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
BTW: Todd at ORF confirmed for me today when I vistied him that he will be producing 1mm correctly heat treated 47 and 74 receivers sometime this year.

That will be big and if he says he's going to do it he does.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i hope he hurries up with those reveivers..i'll buy them from him..i've been waiting over a month to get mine from Ohio Ordnance..who knows when they will be shipping..

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
WC846 said:
i hope he hurries up with those reveivers..i'll buy them from him..i've been waiting over a month to get mine from Ohio Ordnance..who knows when they will be shipping..
That's who he uses for his builds right now and he hasn't had any he could sell extra for a while. It's probably why he decided to make his own.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i talked to the guy from Ohio ordnance at the Harrisburg gun show..he told me that there was a 45 day backorder on the receivers..said something about only having 1 employee who did the heat treating, and he was busy doing government orders..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just completed a build for an AKM-74 on a Vulcan receiver. The receiver was very nice and most of the Trunnion holes lined up, but I did have to "egg" shape a couple for the Front Trunnion, but it was minor. The Magazine opening was very close and I did not have to do anythig to this area.

I have built 3, 7.62x39 rifles on the Vulcan receivers and all went well with the builds. Yes, I did heat treat the ejector on each of them, but that was no problem. On this build, there were two (2) areas that I did not like about the Vulcan receiver. Number One is the Rear Trunnion on the AKM-74 has a different hole location for the forward rivits and the receiver was drilled for an AKM-47 Rear Trunnion, so I had to drill an extra hole and fill in the hole that was not required. No big problem, but more work. Number Two was the major problem, The Lower Rails were too low! Since they were spot welded in, I bent the Lower Rails up a small amount to get the Bolt to slide into the Front Trunnion without any problem. I did not like doing this, but it was my only option short of cutting them out and rewelding/screwing them back in. Another probelm with the Lower Rails being low, was the magazine would not lock into position since the polymer magazines bottom out on the lower rails. After "adjusting the Lower Rails, the magazines did lock in place. They are tight in the Receiver and no wobble.

I plan to go to the range today and function test this rifle. It sure is a beauty, and the Vulcan receiver came already blued adn it matched the new Bulgarian kit perfectly. I reworked the new wood stocks and they are very pretty now. I hate the blond color wood on most of the guns. I tried to give the wood a nice warm brown color with a hint of red. If it shoots half as well as it looks, it is a keeper for sure!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Abwehr said:
I just completed a build for an AKM-74 on a Vulcan receiver. The receiver was very nice and most of the Trunnion holes lined up, but I did have to "egg" shape a couple for the Front Trunnion, but it was minor. The Magazine opening was very close and I did not have to do anythig to this area.

I have built 3, 7.62x39 rifles on the Vulcan receivers and all went well with the builds. Yes, I did heat treat the ejector on each of them, but that was no problem. On this build, there were two (2) areas that I did not like about the Vulcan receiver. Number One is the Rear Trunnion on the AKM-74 has a different hole location for the forward rivits and the receiver was drilled for an AKM-47 Rear Trunnion, so I had to drill an extra hole and fill in the hole that was not required. No big problem, but more work. Number Two was the major problem, The Lower Rails were too low! Since they were spot welded in, I bent the Lower Rails up a small amount to get the Bolt to slide into the Front Trunnion without any problem. I did not like doing this, but it was my only option short of cutting them out and rewelding/screwing them back in. Another probelm with the Lower Rails being low, was the magazine would not lock into position since the polymer magazines bottom out on the lower rails. After "adjusting the Lower Rails, the magazines did lock in place. They are tight in the Receiver and no wobble.

I plan to go to the range today and function test this rifle. It sure is a beauty, and the Vulcan receiver came already blued adn it matched the new Bulgarian kit perfectly. I reworked the new wood stocks and they are very pretty now. I hate the blond color wood on most of the guns. I tried to give the wood a nice warm brown color with a hint of red. If it shoots half as well as it looks, it is a keeper for sure!
If you are going to have to go through all of that why not just bend you own like I do. I have built 2 OOw receivers and that was damn easy so easy in fact I may not bend any more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Steelcore1964,

Well, you make a good point about bending my own flats! When I first got started building the AKs, I never intended to get this involved. I bought some of the pre-folded receivers and this was fine, but it took so long to drill the holes, machine the top rails, and install the lower rails that the Vulcan receivers and the OOW (built two from these too) were priced right. The build time difference made an big impact between prebent and 100% complete.

When the good bending jigs became readily available, I kept saying I was finished with building AKs, but good kit buys kept coming up, and I kept buying. After all the time it took with pre-bent receivers, my thoughts were to just buy 100% receivers and build from them. I have had very good results from the Vulcan receivers in the past, but this one with the lower rails out of place just added an "aggrevation" factor to the build. This entire build with the AKM-74 has been a horror story from the beginning. I was in a group buy for the kit, which took about 5-6 weeks from beginning to shippping. FedEx was the carrier, and they "lost" two back to back shipments, but I finally got the third shipment, and that cost me about 3 weeks total before receiving it. The kit was new condition and beutiful. I ordered the receiver from JoeKen (yea, I know, don't tell me about them anymore) and was told shipping would be in approx. 2 weeks. I finally got the receiver about 2 months later. While waiting on the receiver, I started the preparation work on the kit. Got the old rivits drilled out without much problem. Since this was to be a screw build, I started to drill for the threads and the trunnions were appearently heat treated as the steel was the hardest I have ever seen on an AK. I broke 2 drill bits, and when threading, I actually chipped the cutting threads from the taps (I also broke two taps). On all my other builds I had never broke a drill bit or tap. I finally got the threads tapped. During the build, the receiver lower rails out of place just added more aggrevation to the project, but it is completed and NICE!

I did take the AKM-74 to the range yesterday and it worked perfectly! I was well pleased with the results and the extra couple of hours I had in the build was forgotten. The rifle was a "hit" with the other guys at the range since it was the best looking AK there!

I don't post much, but I read the Forum daily. All you guys building have asked most of the questions I have had and by doing a search, I find the answers! This is a great forum and you guys are really helpful!!!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
thanks, sorry to hear about all the problems but what does'nt kill you makes you stronger.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
The hesse receiver has the selector hole in the proper place unlike the OOW 7.62.

The problem with the HESSE/Vulcan is resale value.

Try and sell a gun that you built with a Hesse/Vulcan receiver.
no one wants it.
I think this is because Hesse/Vulcan sold completed guns before using their receivers and they SUCK at building guns.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
DrugRunR said:
The hesse receiver has the selector hole in the proper place unlike the OOW 7.62.

I have 3 MAADIs that have the same gap on the selctor as the OOW ones......which makes me believe that maybe they used a MAADI receiver to copy theirs from......in anycase, other then the slight gap by the dust cover they work as like anyother AK, and quite frankly I would rather give money to OOW then hesse, or anybody that carries hesse products.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts