Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i messed up the lazer flat i was working on so i am buying a vulcan 100% receiver any storys on them good bad

andrew

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I used a vulcan receiver on my 1st build and everything lined up like a glove. I just dont like the finish on them. Well..its a nice finish, just doesnt match the AMD's for shi*. I am very pleased with vulcan receiver.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have used Vulcans for eight builds and you have to look at the ejector. The issue is not that it isn't hard enough. Vulcans come with a ejector that fits the -74 and extends .573" or so into the receiver. For a -47 build, the ejector should extend .560" into the receiver. (This is measured with calipers from the outside of the receiver to the deepest point on the ejector.)

Most experience builders know this but I went nuts trying to figure out why my Romanian -47 builds always hung up on the magazine.

The problem was that since I did not trim the ejector, the bolt hit it and cammed a bit so the right bottom edge of the bolt smashed into the right magazine lip. At first I relieved the magazine lip. In a later build I observed the camming problem. Trimming the ejector solved the problem.

Funny, the ejector was a bit chewed up from cycling. It did not appear to be soft, it seems that the overly long dimension put too much pressure on it.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes...I to had to trim the ejector slightly. It did the same thing to my 20 round mag the 1st time. Easy fixer though. You think the ejector should be heat treated again because of this problem? I only use flats for builds now, so dont have that problem anymore. I had forgotten that it had happened until you just mentioned it. Man....Im getting old.(loss of memory)

·
Registered
582 Posts

I did not heat treat as a test. When I ground the ejector it got hot to the touch but nowhere close to red hot.

I?ll put a few hundred rounds through it to see what happens.

However, I agree that reheat treating is a smart move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Built a Bulgi 74 on a hess receiver before they were vulcan. The front holes matched perfect the rear holes were set for a Romanian trunnion. Had to weld close the one near the selector and drill a new hole. I don't know about the rails but the outside of the receiver had all been heat treated. Also had to elongate the extrator 1/16". Took two minutes. I paint all my aks with AH2. Found the Euro finishes don't hold up to some of the cleaners I use, I get a purple black on my cleaning rags like India ink.

My AMD build I'm using a OOW receiver that came in the white. Have to drill all the holes.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
magnus392 said:
Did you heat treat the rails Mbad?
No I did not. I was told they were already done. I have about 200 rounds through it right now. No problems yet.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have ground down the ejectors too. I just keep an eye on them, if it looks like they are wareing I will harden it , so far so good. I have not had to

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I have ground down the ejectors too. I just keep an eye on them, if it looks like they are wareing I will harden it , so far so good. I have not had to
Same here. I know that some people dont even heat treat the axis holes. Could that be a bad thing? If your using a crook it wont affect the pin falling out if it gets wollowed out a little. I do both sides of the axis holes just to be sure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Plugging predrilled holes without welding.

I have a suggestion for those receivers with predrilled holes in the middle of nowhere. My AMD-65 build had two holes which did not fit the trunion. I had to drill two new ones and that was okay. Now what to do with the two empty holes. I don?t have a welder so I placed a rivet in the right side hole and squashed it; I opened the left side hole a tad and inserted a Brownell?s threaded sling swivel stud and bolted it with a lock washer. I stuck an old SKS sling swivel loop through it and only you guys would know that it is not issue.

It may save you some time ? sometime.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used a Vulcan on my AMD65 build. Everything lined up great, I did have to grind the ejector down. Now problems with it so far. I did not reheat the ejector. On the the extra holes I put in 10/32 button heads locked with a nut in the inside. I did not use the broken rear sling attachment.(Only one ear left on it.) I was thinking about using the extra hole to mount a stud to attach a rear sling swivel.

Overall I have no complaints with the Vulcan. It worked very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the easiest way to plug a hole if you can't weld it is to go to Lowe's, in there fasteners dept they sell plastic plugs in black. They look just like a revit head. The smallest size fits the the holes perfect, just snap in they have dog ears to keep in place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts