Gunco Forums banner

Wanted Man Commits Chainsaw-Suicide As Cops Close In

507 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  AClay47 
#1 ·
And he did it without a gun, I didn't suicide was possible without a gun.

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/12/23/41cad28e46924

Wanted Man Commits Chainsaw-Suicide As Cops Close In

December 23, 2004

GRAND ISLAND ? A man wanted on a federal gun charge took a chainsaw to his neck and killed himself after a seven-hour standoff with State Troopers.

Authorities said Paul E. Smidt Jr. had retreated to a bathroom at his lawn care business as the Patrol SWAT team closed in on him.

When troopers entered the room they fired a non-lethal beanbag round at Smidt when he refused to put down the saw. That?s when Smidt, 40, killed himself.

He was wanted for being a felon in possession of a shotgun.

The warrant stemmed from another standoff Smidt had with authorities on October 29th, the Grand Island Independent reported. In that incident, Smidt was allegedly armed with a shotgun when he took his estranged wife hostage in her home. Smidt was freed on bail .after posting $10,000

Local police contacted Smidt , 40, at his business at about 5 p.m. and wound up negotiating with him by phone until the SWAT team was called in some four hours later. At about midnight, the state troopers entered the barridaded building. That?s when he retreated to the bathroom.

As required by state law, a grand jury will look into the case. Such an inquiry is mandated whenever someone dies in police custody or as the result of contact with the police. The incident also will be investigated by the South Central Alliance of Law Enforcement Services.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll bet when they fired the beanbag it hit the saw causing the suicide. The "non-lethal" beanbag probably deflected the saw into his neck.

#4 ·
Sounds more like "Oh, crap, the chainsaw fell on his neck when we stunned him! mumblemumblemumble......Ok Captain....."Aw, look, he killed himself with a chainsaw!"

#5 ·
why was he chill'n with a chainsaw anyways? If I was in a standoff a chainsaw would be more comical then anything seems to me. Maybe he was trying to lighten the mood then the cops blasted him like you guys say.. OOOOPS!!!

#9 ·
Tragic. This guy was obviously mentally ill. The Magistrate who released him on $10,000 bond did everyone a disservice. Frankly, I'm amazed someone can engage in an armed stand-off with police officers - and in a kidnapping - and be released on bond. The guy should have been involuntarily committed, so he could receive appropriate psychiatric treatment in a safe place.

The system failed ... again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.