Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever have to live next to a barking dog? I live in an apartment with a little rock-fenced yard in the back. All the other apartments in my 4-apartment flat have a little rock yard out back.

Last fall, a woman and her daughter moved in next to me. I thought, "Oh, good, at least there won't be all night parties."

I would now welcome all night parties in lieu of the horror I have had to endure.

This mother and daughter moved in with two little dachsunds, whose permanent residence is the back yard next to mine. My bedroom window is about ten feet from these little terrors.

From the moment these people moved in, their dachsunds have not stopped barking. They bark every time I open the window. They bark every time I open my back door. They bark and continue barking every time I go in my back yard. They bark when the sun comes up. They bark when the wind changes direction. They bark when there is a reason to and when there isn't. They bark until they become hoarse. This barking continues day and night and day and night and day and night and day and night.

At first, every time these dogs would bark, I politely rang the neighbors' doorbell and in as friendly a voice as I could (really) I asked them to please quiet their dogs. At first, the daughter who owns the dachsunds would make a token effort to shush them, and that would last about 15 minutes. But then the dogs would see a new color or something and start barking again.

I wrote a letter to the landlord. I was advised that I should call the police.

The police have better things to do than quiet my neighbors' two dogs. A cop told me as much.

Each time I would politely go ask the daughter to shush the dogs, she became less and less enthusiastic or in a hurry to do so. Meanwhile, the dogs' barking is becoming worse...

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "Of course you know, this means WAR!"

I have nothing against dogs in general, and I certainly do not want to do anything to hurt the animals, but enough is enough.

I began by purchasing a couple of water pistols, you know, the kind every kid has in the summer. Every time the dogs started barking, I went into the back yard and squirted them until they stopped. It wasn't freezing cold yet (it doesn't get that way until toward the end of November), so I knew I wouldn't hurt the dogs by squirting them.

Problem is...the water guns quit having any effect.

Desperate--I looked through the Bass Pro Shops catalog for dog training devices, and I finally found a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION (tongue in cheek).

It was a little electronic device used by professional dog trainers to stop the dogs barking. It doesn't hurt the dog, it just sends out a high-pitched sound (audible to humans) that stops a dog's bark dead in its tracks...er...barks.

Every time the dogs barked now, I hit the button on this device and held it down until they shut up. The device worked beautifully.

This is when I discovered that dog owners DO NOT WANT their dogs to stop barking. Since the daughter's bedroom window faces the back yard where the dogs are, she began to notice that her dogs would stop barking for no reason. So she started opening the window to see what was up. One time she caught me pushing the button on my little squawk box, and the gig was up! She cussed me out with every word that a nice high-schooler shouldn't use. I can only laugh.

She didn't mind her dogs barking 24 hours a day, but let somebody shut them up and THAT'S DIFFERENT!
:lol:

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm leaving my bedroom window and my back door open to get some air. Guess what? Yup. The little terrors start barking the microsecond they hear either one open.

I should explain that my little squawk box has an automatic setting. You just turn the knob up all the way and it squeals every time the dogs bark whether I'm there or not. I don't have to be there to push the button every time the dogs bark.

Thing is....the daughter, owner of the dogs, Queen of the Cuss Word, doesn't know that!

:naughty:

After dark, I simply ran a strap over my curtain rod in my bedroom to dangle the squawk box from. I dangled the screecher in the open window (covered by a screen only), turned up the knob all the way, and left the room to get on the computer. I can hear the squeal as the dogs bark, but I'm doing other things.

Finally, after a couple of hours, I go into my bedroom where the squawk box hangs (without turning the light on) so I can see what's going on outside in the dark. The neighbor's porch light is on and I can see it all.

I see the daughter has removed the screen from her bedroom window, climbed through the window, and is looking all over the place and climbing on the rock wall looking for my little squawk box, which screams like an alarm every time the dogs bark!

I am about to roll on the floor laughing my f*cking a** off!

She's furiously looking for my little screecher box and can't find it!

Finally, after about two hours she gives up and goes back inside. I shut off my screecher box and go to bed as soon as I stop laughing.

GET THE F*CKING POINT, YET, "LADY?"

Anyway, I've had my fun. I'm not trying to torment the owner. So I've ordered a product called "Bark-Free" that does the same thing, but the signal is inaudible to humans.

So I will quietly train my neighbors' dogs not to bark, and neither they nor their owner will be any the worse for wear.

At least, I HOPE the dogs stop barking...

·
1,763 Posts
now that's an interesting story. I would like to have been part of the "training" myself. Not to have gone thru the suffering of hearing that all the time.

you said the current device is "audible" and the new one is "inaudible" (to humans) what kind of "squawk" did it make? Was it as annoying as the bark?

The reason I ask, my GF has this little Min-Pin who likes to bark and I am constantly trying to shut him up. He barks when he hears a cat walking down the street, he barks at me cleaning my guns (he hates my guns) just any excuse. The squirt bottle only works if it hits him (the water not the bottle), but if I can push a button without having to get up, find the bottle, hunt him down, etc..

what do they cost and what's the first product you bought called?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevin_m4 said:
you said the current device is "audible" and the new one is "inaudible" (to humans) what kind of "squawk" did it make? Was it as annoying as the bark?
The sound is pretty shrill indoors or outdoors. The funny thing is, some people can't hear this device either, but if you can, HOOBOY! The pitch is so high it literally feels like pin-pricks on the brain, sort of like fingernails on a chalkboard electronicized and multiplied. (That's the best I can do; it's like trying to explain what a strawberry tastes like).

It is more tolerable than these particular barking dogs because the duration is less. But I warn you, it's almost painful to hear it indoors!

The product is made by Innotek. It is called the "Ultra-Sonic No Bark Trainer" and I purchased it from the Bass Pro Shops catalog for $29.95 plus shipping.

The "Super Bark-Free" that I just ordered was $79.99 plus shipping and comes from http://satisfactionassured.netfirms.com/

The reason I ordered it instead of the slightly cheaper one is because of its greater range. They warn you though that the "Super Bark-Free" is NOT for indoor use because it will be too loud for the dog even though humans can't hear it. It's marketed more for quieting the neighbor's dogs.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can totally relate! The people next to me have three dogs, all of which bark every frickin minute they are outside. Get this, the Dad and the little girl are ALLERGIC to the dogs, so they keep them OUTSIDE all day until about 9pm. They originally started with two, but now they got another one and the original two keep messing with him. That one doesn't bark as much but he howls. :confused: Anyway, these dogs drive me nuts! I have politely talked to the owners but their answer is "Daniel and her father are allergic to them, so they can't be in the house much." I thought to myself, why on earth would you own three dogs if you are allergic? Some people are really stupid.

I had thought about calling the Police as well, but I've got another problem with the people across the street lol, their rott keeps running across the street when my daughter and nieces are out there. The owners do not leash him , they are right there, but that makes no difference to the dog who darts across the street. They start calling out his name telling him to get back there and the dog completely ignores them. So I'm saving my Police call for those people before someone gets bit. I really don't want to be a whiney neighbor but this has gotten out of hand.

Someone had suggested that dog whistle thing to me, but I wasn't sure if it worked. Is it loud to humans? If so, isn't there a different one that you can't hear? I don't think it's any type of 'device' , I think it's just a whistle? Now that I've read your story, I think I'm going to get one. As you said, better weather is coming and I hate having to keep my windows shut because they keep barking. This may be the perfect solution. :woot:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheRealSundance said:
This thread is useless without pictures.
There is no way in Hell I could have gotten pictures of all that happened...

I would have had to be like a reporter that has his camera with him constantly.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sandy said:
Someone had suggested that dog whistle thing to me, but I wasn't sure if it worked. Is it loud to humans? If so, isn't there a different one that you can't hear? I don't think it's any type of 'device' , I think it's just a whistle? Now that I've read your story, I think I'm going to get one. As you said, better weather is coming and I hate having to keep my windows shut because they keep barking. This may be the perfect solution. :woot:

For the sake of keeping my story short and not putting everyone to sleep, I left out the part about how I ordered every mouth-blown dog whistle in the Bass Pro Shops catalog around the time I got the electronic one too.

Suffice it to say that ALL of the so-called dog whistles are audible (even if they say they're not), and all of them are annoying as well. Plus, you blow on the damn thing and it becomes a duel between you and the dog to see who has more breath. About all I got with these dog whistles was blue in the face...

:grumble:

·
Registered
84 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
There is no way in Hell I could have gotten pictures of all that happened...

I would have had to be like a reporter that has his camera with him constantly.

I just meant the women involved. Only if good looking and of age.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TheRealSundance said:
I just meant the women involved. Only if good looking and of age.

Mother: Old and crippled (I feel kind of sorry for her; she's got an evil daughter).
Daughter: Picture your basic high-schooler soccer girl with a mean streak and a foul mouth. She's also jailbait.

By the way, I didn't use the squawk box last night, but evidently the daughter sat outside in their yard babysitting the dogs for a couple of hours before she finally decided she wasn't going to hear the screech. I deliberately didn't use it last night just because I'm fully in f*cking with her mode.

Once again, in the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "It is to laugh..."

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE 04/05/2004

Well, I got my Super Bark-Free and the AC adapter from the company at the link above:

http://satisfactionassured.netfirms.com/

I got to try it out over the weekend. On the "inaudible" mode, all you hear is a barely audible "click" like from a Metronome, but let me tell you, THE DOGS CAN HEAR IT!

I've never heard a dog stop in mid-bark before using this. Even my hand-held audible device never stopped them like this!

I went out in the back yard, and of course, that was an invitation for the dogs to start barking, only THIS TIME...I had my WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION WITH ME.

I heard just one barely audible click from the Bark-Free. The dogs were barking, "Bark, bark, bark, ba..." and literally stopped in mid-bark!

DEVASTATING. They didn't know what to do. It was like hitting them with a bucket of cold water. I had a little trouble with sensitivity, i.e., that the wind seemed to set it off occasionally too, but, OH WELL...

So, get ready for a long summer you little shits! You don't have to stop barking, but if you don't, you get to hear that horrible sound every day for the rest of your short miserable lives.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :naughty:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts