Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

I finally watched it on PPV. It was a good story with awesome special effects. Kept my attention!

Here are things I didn?t like about it:

1. The whole Kyoto thing did not work. Had it been omitted, the film would have invited much better discussion. Even the story's leading eco-scientist said scientific projections for environmental changes were centuries away.

2. The wolves were fake. They looked fake and acted weird. I also wondered how they got on the ship, and why they would attack living people when carrion must have been in abundance?

3. There were no bodies after the flood. I guess they didn?t want to gross everyone out, but a 30 flood through New York?s crowded streets would have resulted in thousands of bodies floating everywhere.

4. The whole concept of the story did not work. What was accomplished by the scientist father traveling through hundreds of miles of bitter arctic weather to get to his son? He brought nothing of value to the library.

5. Did anyone else notice that the only directions given to dad were his son was in New York City at the public library. Does NYC have only one public library?

Still, it was a fun film to watch. Watched it twice!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, yeah, here was my favorite scene:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Basically a popcorn action flick. No real science was harmed in the making of this film, it's just a fantasy. I understand it was quite a disappointment to the "global warming" community because it was SO over the top.
And I agree, the "Wolves" had more resemblence to Snoopy than real wolves.
Oh, and I got a huge kick out of them burning books-a poor fire fuel- when there are hundreds of chairs made from wood just sitting around, and enormous tables just aching to be fed to the flames.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I noticed that, too! The environmentalists had a choice - burn books or furniture, so they started burning books! I liked how they chose a whole section of the library which held the Tax Code, though! Maybe paper burns more environmentally friendly?

Wasn't it stupid for a policeman to shepherd people out of the library into an arctic winterland! Where did he think he was going, and why didn't he use his radio to find out what was going on? It was another case of authority not listening to an environmentalist with tragic consequence!

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...agitprop?

Watched it tonight.Why didn't those guys that went over to the ship from the library,just take the fire axes off the bulkhead,and kill the wolves?

Where did the cop that led a bunch of people out of the Library expect to walk to?

Did the Astronauts in Skylab know that they were fucked?

Where did the giant wave and all the water come from that inudated the Island of Manhatten?

Why,if there is a Stade in the works,would the water around Manhatten suddenly become deeper?

How can a helicopter fly from Mexico to New York City without re-fueling?

How can a fry stove in a Wendys fast food restaurant still have gas and light right up?

How did the other people that did not have all the books to burn and a fireplace to burn them in survive in New Yorks skyscrapers to be rescued at the end of the movie.

What does what I drive have to do with TEOTWAWKI?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts