Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could this be...?

I my back yard, at the edge of the property line between my yard and that of my next door neighbor there is a very slight natural slope between the two properties which creates an area that gets a bit water logged during a hard rain or melt off - like we have had recently.

In any event... 5 years ago when we built on the property it was nothing special... just a low area that would pool maybe an inch maybe two of water during a hard or prolonged rain - no biggie - not a large area - and real common - nearly every house in the development does this between properties.

Last year while mowing the lawn I noticed a 5" diameter hole in the groud sort of near the center of this area. Never took note of it before, and am sure it wasn't there beofre. In fact, I later came to find out that my neighbor had filled it with sand thinking it was a rabbit burrow - we see quite a few of the fuzzy hopping things every dawn or dusk.

Well it got to raining pretty constant for a week last fall. I was in the kitchen and something out the window happened to catch my eye for a moment. I looked and saw nothing - then something white caught my eye again a minute later. So I get to starring out the window for a couple of minutes... and sure enough there it goes again.

Water was shooting up about 5 or 6 inches in the air above the water pooled in the small swamped area between our properties.

I sloshed on out there and investigated and I could reach nearly my entire arm, at least past my elbow into the hole... I could feel a current and could see the surface of the water churning over the hole because of it... and after walking back to the house - I watched it for a while... and sure as shit... every 2 or three minutes the water would buble up with enogh force to froth the surface or squit into the air a few inches abouve the setting water.

My neighbor filled the hole with sand before I could investigate further... so I kind of just forgot about it... until yesterday.

When my wife noticed it going off again... there's a circle of white sand now around the hole, where it has been ejected by the force of the water.

My question... what the heck is it?

And no... neither my gutters nor my neighbors release onto our properties like this... nor do our sumps pump to the rear of our properties - those lines go out to the street.

I have half a mind to put my boots on and grab a shovel when I get home.

Lynch

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Sounds like you may have a wet weather spring. :confused:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I heard of a guy that found something like that in his back yard. Then later on, he just dissappeared. Nobody knows what happened to him.

You better stay away from that hole. :eek:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't know what it is.......but it can't be good when you see water shooting up from a hole in the ground. just hope it isn't something that is underminding the the stability of the ground......like a sink hole.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The pulsing is a strange thing. Do you live near any geothermals? If you live in the city I would contact public works and have them check it out before it gets major. If you live outside the city limits the county agent could take a look. It could be a major problem if you just let it go.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about, probably just an underground channel. My Dad has one of these in his yard, and the exact same thing happens during wet seasons. It has been doing this for at least 25 years. And trust me, where my Dad lives there is no kind of piping, water lines, underground sewers, or anything like that. My Dad lives all alone back up in a holler with no type of development. The hole always comes back and is always 4"-5" big, just exactly the way you described it. As long as it doesn't start growing, I think you'll be fine.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I remember seeing something as you describe on a golf course I used to play.

There was one spot that had this odd, gurgling spring like effect whenever we had extended periods of rain.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Toilet being flushed?????

Hell, keep us informed will you. Are you sure the water main doesn't go through there?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
aviator said:
Toilet being flushed?????

Hell, keep us informed will you. Are you sure the water main doesn't go through there?
I know where Lynch lives.

I don't think they have outdoor plumbing up there yet.

·
6,361 Posts
Storm drain, yeah, that's it. A few years ago we had a hurricane that formed right on top of Miami (Irene?) and we got flooded really bad, water was actually surging out of the storm drain in front of my house. It was nice to have a water front property for a couple of days.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I'm not sure about Ohio, but here in Nortern WV artesian wells are not that uncommon. I can think of 3 or 4 in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
He's got one of those artesian thingys livin underground. ;) :thankyou:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Whatever it may be, Artesian spring, Soon to be sinkhole, whatever it is, IT IS BAD!!
BAD!!

Sell your home this summer when the water table is down.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Artesians are evil. We need to kill them all before they corrupt our nation!

Arm yourself Lynch, kill them all for the good of mankind! :rant:

·
6,361 Posts
Pogo said:

NO, NO!...turn it into a natural fountain, like the Romans used to do, it will increase the resale value of the home, then sell the house and get away fast!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Pogo said:

Yep!!

I live in Olympia.
I know all about Artesians! :eek:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yep, sounded to me like you're getting your very own artesian well. Have you considered going into the beer brewing business?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts