Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do my first build, I plan on doing a pistol with an amd kit and ohio receiver. I am waiting on all the parts to arrive and am considering tig welding the gun together. does anyone have any experience with weld builds, are there any drawbacks?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
you are asking for trouble, the weld will break sooner or later, just do it the right way.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to disagree with the weld breaking, a properly done tig weld with good alloy rod is very strong. I am not talking doing it with a torch & coathangers. my last build before I sold my shop was a welded .50 3/4 scale bmg receiver. It worked great and the welds never broke

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
torch & coathangers

LMAO That is how I have done some of my best welding! I thought I was the only one who used to keep a pile of wire coat hangers in the garage.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Magnus, just pullin you chain a little..haha.. i can't see any problems with welding either..a weld done correctly is actually stronger than the metal around it

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
pirate56 said:
I have to disagree with the weld breaking, a properly done tig weld with good alloy rod is very strong. I am not talking doing it with a torch & coathangers. my last build before I sold my shop was a welded .50 3/4 scale bmg receiver. It worked great and the welds never broke
Well, if it holds up on the 50, it might hold on an AK.:lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
the whole weld vs. screws vs. rivets has been gone over at least a thousand times......I just like and favor doing things the tried and true way. Stamped AK's only come one way from the factorys......I dont care why, anything else just looks wrong wheather it works or not.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
The kommies spend NO more money on military hardware than it takes to get the job done.If anything,but rivets,was cost/longevity effective,THEY would have been using that method from day 2. My take is that the kommies know how to build an AK..........Why argue with the Masters?There are at least 95 million AKMs that have been built on riveted receivers.Why not take a page from a "best seller"........riveting is the plan.

Screw builds and welding seem to be the hallmarks of a "shade tree build and seem to shout "Amateur build,buy me at your peril" ." Screwing and welding are a shortcut that conveniences only the builder ........NEVER......the end user.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I believe that the reason for the welding and screw builds were because no one had any tools to do the riveting.

But now that riveting/barrel removal/installation tools are out there and easily available, more and more people are turning to the rivet build. When I first started into building AK's, a rivet build was a thing of "AWE" and "WONDER". Now everyone expects a rivet build.

Also, if done "PROPERLY", a weld or screw build will last a life time. If it wasn't for the weld and screw builds, we wouldn't be where we are now. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The .50 doesn't add any credibility to the notion of welding stamped AKM's.
It proves that TIG welding can make very stout metal connections.
No one was alleging otherwise.

Dissimilar metals are your first enemy.
One of them being sheet is the second.
Getting penetration into the trunion without destroying the sheet is tricky to say the least.
Professionals have drilled-and-filled with rossette welds and had them break; lots of times.

Justashooter is not the average garage smith.
Don't lull yourself into thinking that the way is paved for all, simply because he pulled it off.
I wouldn't stick around on the firing line if he was shooting his weld build, and I think a lot of his abilities.

Pushing limits is what this hobby is all about, but it is my intention to dissuade you from bucking the safety margins your first time out.

Have fun, be safe, and post pics.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, AK's are rivetted because it is cheap & easy to mass produce, and effective. A properly welded receiver will be many times stronger and more ridgid than a riveted one. As for rosette welds that is not the way to go. A properly applied tig weld is stronger than the metal it is holdinf together. As for doing things the " proper or conventional " way these home made kit guns are not collector pieces, nor will they ever be one. However they are fun to build and a chance for someone to take some surplus parts and have fun creating a rifle, and to enhance thier technical skills. I am an unconventional type of guy and doing everything the same as everyone else is boring. I have been a machinist / fabricator for about 30 years and want to put to use the skills I have developed to create a unique ak for myself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've done two weld builds, I didn't have the tools to rivet them, they have held together fine. Both have withstood a couple thousand rounds each. Getting good penetration on the trunion really is not that hard if you have been welding for awhile. I used an ARC welder on one and a MIG on the other.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got all my parts etc. and decided to try a rivet build. The rivet tools haven't arrived and probably won't for some indeterminable amount of time, so now that I have my receivers I am considering welding the first one. Welding will produce a more ridgid receiver than rivets and it will have a cleaner look. I am building a custom pistol and my main concern is not how authentic it looks but how good it can lay down the lead.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
pirate56 said:
I am building a custom pistol and my main concern is not how authentic it looks but how good it can lay down the lead.
That's always been my philosophy as well. I get a weapon because I want it. I don't get it to trade or to look at. Once one gets in my hands, they never leave.:)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have an AMD 65 welded together. What I did is grind down the old rivets flush and welded to them. i've shot about 300 rounds through it.

HK's receivers are welded to the trunnions. i'd say the original rivet idea was accepted by the soviets because it doesn't take much to stockpile a 1,000,000 rivets and run a press during wartime vs. gas supply and etc. for welding..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts