Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am new to the board and this is my first post. I found this site and joined about a month ago because I wanted info on building a AMD kit that I bought. First, I would like to say that this site is the best I found for tips and info. Second, I was wondering if there is any interest in a laser cut receiver I have that I have welded and smoothed off. I intended to use it in my build but got another from a friend. It is for a AK or AMD. I guess it's your basic receiver. I bent the laser flat myself and welded it. It turned out great and looks great after I wire wheeled it smooth. I don't think there will be any problems finishing it off and using it for a AK. It is very solid.
My third question was about the legality of selling it. It is like the 80% one but isn't registered since I did it myself.
I was thinking about posting it on Gunbroker or Auctionarms but wanted to see if there is any interest here.
It would be nice for the buyer not having to go through an FFL.:thumbup1:

Jeffy

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Once it is welded, it is a receiver.
Once it is a receiver, it is a firearm in the eyes of the alphabet boys.

I would strongly suggest You do not advertise it for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Once it is welded, it is a receiver.
Once it is a receiver, it is a firearm in the eyes of the alphabet boys.

I would strongly suggest You do not advertise it for sale anywhere.
I agree....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Damn, I guess I might be stuck with it.
Is it illegal to sell it to anyone? even through an FFL?

Still learning, Jeffy

By the way, My AMD project is going well. I am slowly getting it together. I need to figure out what type of finish I want to put on it after I'm done...

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
jeffyt said:
Is it illegal to sell it to anyone? even through an FFL?
Possibly.
The ATF says that a firearm cannot be built by an individual, with the intent of selling it.
In order to do that You must have a manufacturers license.

It seems to be a gray area open to interpretation. Who's to say whether or not You intended to sell it?
It would have to have a serial number in order to be transfered.

I'm not sure who might be interested in buying a semi completed receiver if they have to go through all the same steps required to buy a completed receiver.
Also if they can buy a completely finished OOW receiver for $59, how much could your's be worth?

Why not just build it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally, before all this info was found out, I was thinking it would be a good deal for someone. They could get it cheaper from me than through an FFL and it would be as cheap as any they could find elsewhere. Plus it is a lot stronger than those thin pressed folded ones.
I really don't need it right now. I am on my first build and have 2 other laser cuts that will be for my next projects "assuming this one turns out good" It sure is fun so far....
I really appreciate all the help and info this site provides.
Jeffy

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Hang on to it and when you win the monthly drawing one month next year you'll need it ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts