Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gona take a stab at the receiver this weekend.anyone got any advice when welding a receiver.gona use a mig wondering if yaall got advice on the settings.wont be doing the rails for a week or so but any advice is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
shovelhead108 said:
gona take a stab at the receiver this weekend.anyone got any advice when welding a receiver.gona use a mig wondering if yaall got advice on the settings.wont be doing the rails for a week or so but any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Use a low setting on a practice piece. You can also use a run off strip, a scrap piece of metal to start the arc and also to finish it.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Using a heat sink will help out alot. I tigged mine and still used an 1 1/4" steel bar as a heat sink. Copper would work better but I had the steel handy.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Jerry,

That looks excellent, good job.

My guy used a heat sink while welding my U-bend flat, but did not think it was necessary, while welding the rails.

Giving a little time to cool off between welds, and the fact that the welds are very small, it does not build up heat like welding the entire seam on the U-bends.

I suppose it couldn't hurt though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
best bet on welding these is low heat and short passes. weld your receiver in 1" stitches, jumping around from spot to spot, and cooling with a wet washrag between. peening the welds with a flat faced hammer will also shock some of the shrink out and reduce the "bananna effect".

these can be done with .030 wire and under. get some 20 gauge sheet to practice on and learn about the relationship between wire stickout (distance from contact tip to workpeice) and heat. you should keep this to about 3/8", and use a second hand to steady your torch. more gas makes a colder weld. argon burns the wire cooler than CO2. drag strait downhill with mig solid wire to get a weld on that doesn't burn thru. become a competent welder (or find one) before you mess with your flat.

·
Registered
412 Posts
justashooter said:
best bet on welding these is low heat and short passes. weld your receiver in 1" stitches, jumping around from spot to spot, and cooling with a wet washrag between. peening the welds with a flat faced hammer will also shock some of the shrink out and reduce the "bananna effect".

these can be done with .030 wire and under. get some 20 gauge sheet to practice on and learn about the relationship between wire stickout (distance from contact tip to workpeice) and heat. you should keep this to about 3/8", and use a second hand to steady your torch. more gas makes a colder weld. argon burns the wire cooler than CO2. drag strait downhill with mig solid wire to get a weld on that doesn't burn thru. become a competent welder (or find one) before you mess with your flat.
This is excellet advise! I am going to print this one out, put it in my scrap book, and use it if I ever have to weld a laser cut flat!

Thanks!
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts