Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go to an autopsy yesterday for an 8 day old baby. I went with a female coworker who had a really hard time with the event.

Has anyone else here attended an autopsy? Adults are intrusive enough, but a baby is a hard thing to swallow.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Sir,you truly have balls of steel.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I haven't watched the whole thing. Kinda gross. But I did watch the start of one of some high school teacher that committed suicide after getting busted for selling drugs to kids. He shot himself right in the heart.

I think I mentioned once before I was a policeman for a couple of years between the first time I came back from Vietnam, and before I went back. That was when I attended the autopsy.

I did go on a call once where a very young baby, about 4-5 weeks old died, apparently of SIDS. The parents, both college students were obviously in great distress. That really bothered me more than anything I saw in combat.

Seeing a little baby that has just died is hard to accept, at least it was for me.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Ummmmmmmmm...are you going to post the pics?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
dinkydow said:
Ummmmmmmmm...are you going to post the pics?
Not of that.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, SIDS is not a cause of death just an explanation that no one knows what caused the death. Everyone ceases to breath at death. This baby was probably smothered by its mother (unknown if intentional or unintentional) while sleeping on a couch with the mother.

A baby is easily smothered because it does not struggle to breath.

This is so sad.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Man, that's a real stretch trying to determine the cause of death on an internet forum. Maybe we leave that to the folks on the scene, mmm-kay? GG

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I have attended numerous autopsy procedures.
I have also performed many human disections. The mystique wears off very quickly as does any disgust or repulsion. It is simply something that has to be done either for investigational or educational purposes.

In my experience, the highest degree of decorum and respect was always maintained. No photographs were ever allowed in the disection lab nor was any frivolity permitted.

Anyone who has ever sat through from one of these post mortums ever walks away unchanged. In our area, DWI drivers are court ordered to the morgue to see results of deaths caused by DWI drivers. Now that is a great idea!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Chromebolt said:
I'm familiar with the case GG. It happens way too often.
My apologies then. GG

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Oh man.... what a downer of a thread. I have to admit I'm squemish when it comes to this stuff. I have no problem being cut of worked on myself or if I bleed it's fine as it doesn't bother me.

It's weird I get all wacked out when cutting chicken? I hate the way it feels and I don't do wekk with aninal slaughter either. Unfortunaetly in my short time deer hunting I have never gotten one. My Dad has, but I was not there to gut it or butcher. He butchered one himself and decided it was eaiser to drive it down the road 5 miles and have it done for $40. He does the field dressing himself of course.

I swear I'm gonne tough it out when I get one even if I have to puke up my guts. I need to get over this fear. It's not that I get scared, I just vomit, hell I vomit into my mouth on some of the worse diapers I have had to change.

Maybe I'll never get over it, who knows?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It's weird cause it doesn't happen all the time either. Tonight I changed 2 nasty crappy diapers and it didn't bother me at all.

I've seen plenty of people bleed and even saw a carpet installed slice his arm open to the bone once. Never bothered me in the least. I had a hole in my gut for 3 months while this infection drained earlier this fall and it never bothered me to see it or milk it for draining.

It's weird and it bothers me, I fancy myself a pretty tough guy as I have a high tolerence for pain, the cold, the heat, and I don't mind eating just about any crappy food. I get greasy and nasty working on cars and I don't mind mucking out the barn at my FIL's too much.

It all in my head I tell ya! :D

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Cephus said:
Your right it is and that's why I say it's no big deal ether you'll get over it or not.Hell you killem I'll cleanem they all eat the same. Why do think them mountain men would get a squwa they didn't like to butcher ether.As long as you can shoot them someboddy will clean and butcher so they can eat it.
Very true! If I hunt with my Dad he'll take care of it and he'll get the Lion's share as it's his place and I can't take but a little home with me.

Everytime I hunt with him I have only one thing I think of, this is food for my Dad and Stepmom. He tries to get 2 a year, but where he is that can be tough, The deer don't co-operate with him:D He's never got one with a rifle. Blackpowder and bow are the only way he's gotten them. Everytime I can make it's rifle season and we go out and never see one unless 150 yards away behind thick trees. We have stalked because it's so hard to find any damn deer, but all the neighbors get plenty :dunno:

Oh and he feeds the hell out of them too:D

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Everytime I can make it's rifle season and we go out and never see one unless 150 yards away behind thick trees.
That's all? I downed one last year at 275 with my SKS and open sights. Another at 375 with my 300 Win Mag and a head shot no less. Man, you been shootin' to many computers Dude!!!:lol:

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I've seen people go into shock and pass out during stuff like that...definetly not cut out to be a doctor.. Not something I enjoy either, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Preacher said:
That's all? I downed one last year at 275 with my SKS and open sights. Another at 375 with my 300 Win Mag and a head shot no less. Man, you been shootin' to many computers Dude!!!:lol:
Where my Dad lives it's very densely wooded and a 100 yard shot is rare. The terrain is steep too and the lay of the land is very funky.

He does have a feeding station setup in a crossroads of sort on a logging trail where the deer eat a lot and there is a blind in full view of this feeding station, but when it comes to rifle season they get all freeaked out.

Hopefully I'll get up there in black powder season as that seems to be much better.

I could hunt here in Ohio too, but I don't have the skills yet to go out on my own for the field dressing thing. If I did go hunt here we have a friend with a farm and it would be like a turkey shoot. His property is next to a big park where the deer levels are insane. Sometimes on his property you can see 60 or more at a time standing around in fields. It's gotten so bad at that park that the rangers shoot them at night with silencer gear to thin them out.

There is no hunting in the park as you might have guessed.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
aviator said:
I've seen people go into shock and pass out during stuff like that...definetly not cut out to be a doctor.. Not something I enjoy either, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Yeah Aviator, I would definately not be jealous of this job. But there are folks that say they would never get on a roof for anything. I'm glad for the dedicated professionals that do this day in and day out.

Sorry folks for getting off topic earlier.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I've read a few of them and that is enough for me.

I recall one about a teenager who got drunk at a party and his friends loaded him into the back of a van to sleep it off. Seemed they did not do a good job securing the door.

Later, the van's owner took off and while on the highway, at a high rate of speed, the sleeping teen fell out of the back of the van.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts