Gunco Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
You bet dutigaf,,,The Swiss stove is my favorite by far, because you can regulate the flame and adjust your heat output for frying up fish, doing skillet dish's , simmering stuff, ect without burning the crap out of stuff. That's what the top with the slider is for. Open it all the way after it's up to temp with a good flame and then set that top on and it is great fro simmering things, close it from full open to full closed to regulate your heat or put it out. If you want to boil water, don't use the top with the slider, it runs full bore then. It's a great little stove,I used it in conjunction with a neat wire rack type stove with a wind screen that weighed next to nothing and what a setup,,really works well.There's a aluminum one that looks like a Sterno stove that is pretty neet too that,, that burner really works well with too, I can't recall just who made that right now??? Sorry,,

Bad part all those wicked good gourmet meals I used to make and dehydrate for the trails,,,would make the through hikers,,, give me the Look!!!

I wasn't quite sure if I'd have to defend myself from them sense they were only about 250 miles from the end of the AT and by that time they had a case of the "Trail Skinny's" !! They looked like a pack of hungry wolfs sometimes!!!

I was a fearing for my safety a couple times there mister!!! They looked like they were ready to attack when the winds drifted the good smells around he shelter!

A Ravenous looking bunch I tell ya!!!:fear::fear::lol::lol:

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
hye you got anyone still selling those as a surplus deal handy in a link?

·
7,741 Posts
TWA,

awesome & thanks! im gonna get a couple of those at that price for the girls... very nice.

·
HART SYSTEMS
543 Posts
Stoves & Accessories - Outdoor & Camp

Yup dutigaf, here's the link to at least one place that has them. I put the link up in one of the other post in this thread, but guess I didn't copy the complete thing,,try this one above,,,,,
I wonder if it includes the slider you talked about to regulate heat? I didn't see it in the pic of the product.

·
7,741 Posts
oh those are NIB!!

but you way too rich for this poor boy! :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Awwww come on now,,don't be so cheap, that only = 3-4 box's of cheap x39 for a new one!! I'll bet you never even give the $$ a second thought when you dust those off ,,now do ya ??:lol::lol:

Hell mines well over 20 years old and none the worse for wear other than a bit of tarnish. For me ,when you figure the per year costs and as much as I've used mine,,that's pretty damn cheap, in the grand scheme of things! But only if you use it regularly like I did, that was my "kitchen stove" for 12 years on the trail, plus many other adventures. Well, that and the Esbit one, both work great. But the Trangia one with the simmer ring, is still best.

Not much more than the cost of a " super size Mac meal deal" nowadays ,,,,:barf: :lol::lol:

·
7,741 Posts
but im giving them to teenagers who will probably not take care of them... LMAO

they have been used to the soda/beer can versions..

these would be NICE vs cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My BOB (I have more than one) tends to be more complex because I am often in one of my cabins either in or just below the tree line in the high country. I don't intend to travel extensively - in fact I expect to "bug in" rather than bug out. Therefore my basic BOB is as follows:

The Bug Out Bag contents inventory top to bottom and left to right (Lower Photo):

1. First Aid Kit (includes Celox blood clotting agent and magnesium fire starter)
2. Collapsible fishing pole and fishing kit (8 lb line and box of lures, flies, sinkers, etc.)
3. Wyoming Saw (in black folding case)
4. Mountain House freeze-dried packs
5. Coleman propane canister and burner
6. Katadyn water filter
7. Clothes
8. Mess Kit and flask of "medicinal" brandy
9. Leatherman multi-tool
10.Pocket Knife
11. Water filter bag and kit
12. Quick oats and energy bars
13. Reading Glasses and Glass Case
14. Solar and Crank Radio (charging attachments for cell phone)
15. Package of Kleenex
16. Gloves
17. PSL-54C pouch with four 10-round magazines and cleaning kit.
18. Glow Sticks
19. 2 vinyl ponchos (rain protection and shelter)
20. Boonie hat with full head mosquito netting
21. Paracord (various lengths)
22. Package of handwarmers (10 packs) and extra loose packs
23. Folding Shovel
24. Folding reading Glasses
25. Sewing Kit
26. Package of black ties
27. US Army mummy bag
28. Package of plastic ties
29. PSL-54C rifle (7.62x54R)
30. CZ-82 auto handgun (9x18mm) with extra magazine in camo holster

As seen in the article in the OP there are numerous BOB options. My urban BOB is much more streamlined and even then I am only 10-15 minutes to the high country by vehicle or 20 minutes straight up the hill into the trees by foot. That said, I intend to "bug in" wherever I am with my provisions. Who knows what event will precipitate a disaster - natural, man made, economic, pandemic, etc. It could just be a slow collapse with a deflating economy so few even know what is happening (or refuse to acknowledge the evidence of what is happening) until it's too late. Could be a slow "death by a thousand cuts" or a sudden event throwing everything into chaos overwhelming disaster relief efforts. Some folk are too narrowly focused on a single or small subset of potential events and every region has its own likely types of potential disasters. So no one will agree on what makes a perfect Bug Out Bag - but having one is better than not having any plan or BOB at all.

- Black Blade
All good and clearly well thought out for your needs. One thing I'd change would be the caliber of the handgun. If it turned into a prolonged situation it may prove problematic to find 9x18 when 9x19 is everywhere but maybe I'm just anal about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
The way I look at it is the handgun is mainly for self defense, especially if you are "undercover" and don't want to be seen walking around with a rifle. If you run out of handgun ammo and survive the experience, to the victor go the spoils!

For years I keep hearing people say they chose X rifle and ammo because it will be the most common stuff you are likely to find after SHTF. Whether it be a 7.62 AK (the commies will invade ála Red Dawn) or a 5.56 AR (the UN "Blue Helmets or martial law and civil war) or whatever, no one is going to be handing out ammo like they do bottled water after a hurricane! This assumes normal ammo supplies are gone, no more gunshops open and WallyMart is out of ammo, milk, and bread...

Yeah, you might come across someone's ammo stash, but the most likely scenario for resupply is taking it off the dead. I have yet to see anyone carrying a bunch of ammo without a gun to shoot it in, and in most SHTF scenarios involving LE or .MIL actions the rifles are likely to be the ones with Giggle Switches anyway. And even then there is no guarantee you will be able to scavenge what you need. If you are truly being prepared for SHTF long term, you have enough ammo for all your guns to last years.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts