Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to build this Polish kit for quite a while now. I should have a receiver within the next couple of weeks. I have a nice laminated buttstock and rear trunion for it. But I'm not sure yet whether to go with screws or rivets. I'm not even sure what step to do first or what mistakes to avoid... :confused:

Is there a step by step listing of the basics somewhere? I've done a lot of searching around and I've found a lot of good knowledge, but it seems like there should be someplace that has all of the basic steps to building one of these. Like which rivets to put in first? How do I do the front trunion rivets? Should the barrel be in the front trunion when it's riveted or not? etc.

TIA!
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think first you should decide if you want to rivet or screw. both are fine. If you have a press rivets are easy enough. If you do not have a press screwing is a great option. I used screws on my AMD63 and like them enough that I did not fill in the allen heads. you say you have a reciever on the way, great!! what manufactor? the polish kit is great you will love it. when it arives the first thing to do is inspect evrything and make certain you are satisfied. how about a U.S. made fire controll group, have you looked at them. you will need to decide what U.S. made parts you are going to use. Is your stock U.S. made?? you will need 6 parts off the list to be legal. F.C.G. is three of them. A U.S. grip is easy to install. I assume the reciever is U.S. made. global has U.S. breaks for $10 to $18 depending on the typ you like. All things to keep in mind.
for myself the first part I install is the front trunion to the reciever. then install the trigger guard. next the rear tang is riveted in place. but this is just me. most likely you will need to adjust the holes in the reciever to fit your trunion, before you can rivet or screw. I hope this is enough to keep you intrested. you are going to a great new gun soon enough and the pride to go with it. keep posting and you will be an expert soon enough.
oh hay welcome to the sight and the sport of building

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also have a polish kit, OOW receiver, and rivits from global sitting here. I was planning to send this off, but I'm open to learn how to put this thing together.

Personally, a step by step guide would be great including tools and where to get them. :cool:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
You guys came to the right place!

Our own 762X39 did the tutorial for ACE arms and it has been seen on other boards as well.

http://www.acearms.com/tutorials/blank_build.shtml

IMHO a screw together is a great way to go for a novice and I am in the same boat as you guys. I have a kit and it's all ready to be started, but I need to find some time.

Don't just listen to me though get some opinions here.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
If you guys want to follow the thread I am running in the projects forum, you will see and read each step I do on my polish build. As it happens :cool: feel free to ask questions as it goes. EVERYTHING to do this build should be on this thread from parts arival inspection to first few rounds out the barrel. everything. any questions Again I say feel free to ask. NO NEED to send out your parts you can build it yourself. all the $ spent on another builder can buy the tools you may need, and you will have them for the next time. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, lets say screws are the way to go...

What size and how many screws will be needed? What about the barrel, should it be screwed to? :cheers: Lastly, how should the trigger guard be attached?

ChrisAKG

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
well as with most evrything you have options. I used 10-32 button head that are grade #8 for the front trunion. most guys use them because you can fill the head and it looks like a rivet. I left them unfilled "no shame in a screw build". As for the trigger guard you can still rivet it if you want. That is what I did. you can screw the guard too useing a 10-32 again, most guys use a backing plate for this. other members may give you more info about their method of screwing the guard. I have not screwed a trigger guard yet. I find no need for myself as they are easy to crush rivets here. Also some guys even screw the rear trunion too.
so 6 screws for the front trunion
5 screws for the trigger guard
6 screws for the rear tang

As for screwing the barrel I am not clear what you mean. the barrel is pressed into the trunion then a pin is pressed through to hold it.
you can find screws at hardware stores if you look enough or you may find someone here willing to sell you some of theirs.
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
10-32 screws can be used on the triggerguard, but it is a lot easier to use 8-32. The front trunion and rear trunion (or block, tang, etc - different words same part) use 10-32. With the AMD63 and AMD65 kits from centerfire it is easy enough to drill the old rivets out, tap the holes and get it ready for your receiver. With the polish kits from global you would need to put the barrel back into the trunion and get everything lined up again. With any kit (numbers matching or not) that one puts together, it is best to check headspace before shooting the new build the first time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earlier today I spent some time on the McMaster-Carr website and found that for around $20 I can buy enough button head screws to build at least 10 rifles. They sell them in packs of 100 for around $10. The 1/4-28 screws are sold in packs of 25 for about $8. Of course they also sell the correct taps and drills. I'm sorely tempted to just put this together as a screw build and make my next one a rivet build.

Edit - Damn you and your avatar Sniper69!! I can't concentrate on my postings and keep mispelling words! :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.