Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got an old Ithaca double barrel (aka side by side) 12 gauge, with either 20 or 22 inch barrels. It was my great-great uncles shotgun back in the 50's and 60's when he was a sheriff deputy, and is currently stored at another family members house. It has hardly ever been shot and is in great shape with probably 95-98% of the blueing. I am not sure what kinda wood the stock is made out of but it is in tip top shape. Any ideas what this old shotgun maybe worth?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dunno. Do you know what model number it is?

You could get some idea by checking out the auction sites gunbroker.com auctionarms.com, a more accurate idea with the model number. I was able to find the general value of my Stevens 311 by putting "Stevens 311" in the search engine (I like dogpile.com) and up came some that were for sale.

Can't speculate as to monetary value, but offhand that sounds like a fine shotgun. The US lost its ability to competitively manufacture double shotguns about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So, Peacemaker, did you find out anything?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to ask my dad tommorrow the model and year the shotgun is. I think he has more info on it than anyone. After that I am going to see what I can find out and then share it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Should be pretty easy to find out once you've got a model number.

Ithacas were good moderate-price shotguns, I can guarantee it's a keeper. I don't know if they still make them or not - Another guarantee I can give you is that even if there are still Ithacas being made, there no longer are any US-made doubles.

Who's its actual owner now? Your dad? If so, just tell him you've looked into it and it's a worthless piece of garbage that's unsafe to shoot so he may as well just give it to you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, It would be intresting to see what it is worth. The wood has aged and is beautiful. Very pretty side by side. The family as a whole owns it, I would say ownership goes my great uncle, dad, then me. It was my great great uncles.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Peacemaker said:
Yeah, It would be intresting to see what it is worth. The wood has aged and is beautiful. Very pretty side by side. The family as a whole owns it, I would say ownership goes my great uncle, dad, then me. It was my great great uncles.
What??? Your family knows how to share an inheritance???

And you call yourself an American... For shame.

In the meantime, hopefully someone is giving it some routine maintenance - i.e. cleaning and lubricating it - and the stock is almost certain to have a linseed-oil finish, so it perhaps could use having a dab or two of boiled linseed oil rubbed into it with the heel of the hand.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would think that taking it to a Cowboy Action Shoot would give you a real idea of it's worth. More importantly you would get an idea of what someone is willing to pay....... not always the same thing.

I'm curious to see what you find out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to ask dad tonight at Christmas Dinner at grandma's.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dad forgot what model it was, so I am going to go get it out next week and check for myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts