·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess he needs a permit....

Bush photos draw ire

Lancaster official calls for removal

By By JOHN M. SPIDALIERE Lancaster New Era

David Stoltzfus says there's only one reason he would take down the photos of President George W. Bush he has displayed at his baked-goods stand in Lancaster's Central Market.

Bush would have had to have lost the recent election.

Instead, he beat Democratic challenger John Kerry to win a second term.

"If it were Kerry that won, he'd be up there," says Stoltzfus, who operates the Upper Crust stand.

Doesn't matter, says City Councilman Nelson Polite. "It should come down. This is a public market."

Besides, says the Democrat, "Bush didn't win here (in Lancaster City). It is like rubbing salt on a wound."

Polite approached Stoltzfus on Nov. 12 and ask him to remove the pictures. The standholder has refused to do so, prompting Polite to say he will ask City Council to change the law so all political items would be banned in public places.

Stoltzfus said the photo of a smiling Bush, framed in green, has hung from his stand ever since Stoltzfus and his wife, Nina, opened the market stand in March 2003.

They sell cakes, cookies and other baked items.

They also have a signed 8-by-10-inch photo of the president and first lady Laura Bush sitting on a shelf below, "right next to the pictures of my grandkids," Stoltzfus said.

"I'm just trying to sell a few cakes and give honor to the president," he said.

But Polite, a Democrat, says the photos should go.

Polite says he had received complaints from constituents who thought the photos were inappropriate, especially after the presidential election. The market is public property and displaying political paraphernalia, no matter what the intent, says Polite, is inappropriate and divisive.

"There should be rules," Polite says.

Even if Kerry had won, Polite said he'd be asking Stoltzfus to take the photos down.

Stoltzfus is a Republican, but that hardly matters, he says. He displays the photo to honor the office, not the man.

A string of supporters, including Republican Mayor Charlie Smithgall and former Republican Mayor Art Morris, have made their way to the Upper Crust to offer their support to Stoltzfus.

Some of Stoltzfus' fellow standholders are considering putting up photos of Bush in solidarity with Stoltzfus.

Market Master Ernie Thomas said there are no rules about hanging political items at market stands. Even if there were, says Thomas, "That is our president, whether it is a Democrat or a Republican."

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
He might be "polite" but not too smart. A picture of the president isn't political paraphernalia. It's going to be difficult to get an ordnance that would pass muster making it illegal to have a picture of the president on public property. About the only way would be to have an ordnance making it illegal to display a picture of anything on public property.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So, let me understand, one cannot express himself in a public place? Am I missing something? I thought the First Amendment was ratified in the BOR, so people could politically express themselves! Has the Bill of Roghts been repealed in the Blue States?

Shows what I know.

Oops! Did I need a permit to post that?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to get the impression that once we found there is no right to privacy in a public place there will soon be no other rights in a public place either.

We will be free in our personal compounds for a while but it won't be long before the regulation of your home is as complete as it is in your place of business.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Heard about this on the radio this morning.

I predict that some scumbag attorney is going to trot out a mere legal technicality, that stupid First Amendment, to prevent that councilman from acting like President for Life in a totalitarian regime.

Stoltzfus can put up a photo of Josef Stalin if he damned well pleases. This is a disgrace.

Even more disgraceful is that this hasn't been greeted with loud and derisive contempt and a recall petition.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Polite is impolite.

Polite is an un-American dickhead.He is just sore because kerry lost.How typical.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I guess we'll have to take down all Presidential calendars in the schools, take all Presidents all the way back to Washington out of the history books, change Mt. Rushmore, the Lincoln Monument, the slick Willy, uh excuse me, the William Jefferson Clinton library.......Whew, I ran outta breath before I got 'em all said. We're gonna need alot of erasers and markers to fix all these.

·
anyone seen my coffee cup
481 Posts
do it for the children..................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts