Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Young friend says he can't wear a watch. Mind you, he has friends willing to give him one. Frankly, I can't think of any real reason not to have a watch. They are fairly inexpensive. You can buy a quartz watch at The Dollar Tree, for heavens sake!

I think not having a watch says much about a person. For one thing, it shows he is a dependent person, even depending on others to tell him what time it is, whether he is early or late. It also demonstrates the person is unwilling to keep a schedule, probably will be late to work, if he shows at all.

If I were interviewing a job candidate, and he was not wearing a watch, I would ask him the time, and if he could not tell me, I would scratch him from my list.

Needless to say, the young friend will receive a nice watch for Xmas. That will make him choose between being a dependent personality, or finally taking charge of his own life. If the watch stays in his drawer, then his choice has been made, probably forever. If he chooses to use it, then many doors will open for him - and he will know when!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can not live without mine. I feel naked and lost without it.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Now hold the mustard Clay.:) In my line of work I'd be buying a watch every other day. I usually wear one when I not on the job, but at work I've went through a ton of them. From swinging a hammer to running a torch can be rough on things. Even tried pocket watches for a while with no better luck. Now I depend on my cell phone for the time. I usually lay it in a safe place within hearing distance and check it periodically. Anyhow, I thought I'd jerk your chain a little, catch ya later.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't wear a watch either.
I carry a cell phone, which has the time, and a pager, which also carries the time. I carry these all the time I'm not in the house.
I'm a PC tech and a watch is just something to get hung up inside the nest of wires inside a PC. I also don't wear a wedding ring normally cause gold is a really great conductor.
Does the young friend carry a cell phone? That does have the time on it.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
ironmann said:
I can not live without mine. I feel naked and lost without it.
Yep.........same here.
EDIT: As a matter of fact, I have four watches.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I also don't wear a watch. I haven't worn one for quite a while. But it seems I always know what time it is, so I really don't need one. There are clocks/watches everyplace. On the dash of my truck, on the wall of my shop, on the kitchen stove, my computer, the DVD player, on my GPS when I go out in the woods, on my digital camera - EVERYPLACE!! I can't get away from a clock! :rant: :D

And, I'm so rough on watches cause I'm left handed, so when I swing a hammer or turn a wrench I'm either vibrating the heck out of it or scratching it up. When I got out of the Army, I took off my watch and haven't wore one since.

I've got an antique gold hunting case pocket watch I'm gonna get fixed to wear with my cowboy costume though. The jeweler is going to get a modern battery operated movement to put in the case because he said it would be quite expensive to fix the old wind up movement.

·
Registered
517 Posts
cammobunker said:
I don't wear a watch either.
I carry a cell phone, which has the time, and a pager, which also carries the time. I carry these all the time I'm not in the house.
booyah... thats 21st century style, and the same thing I do. For some reason all watches I have had have gotten F'd up.. I think its cause im like magneto with my electromagnetic interaction...

Ask a guy without a watch, but with a cell fone what time it is.. and you should get an answer...

altho im hella down with the psycho analysis.. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Can't wear one, they all make me break out. I've carried a pager or cell phone for nearlly 10 year straight and I just use that plus I always have a clock in my car.
I used to carry a watch in my pocket and went so far as to remove the bands from cheap digitals for pocket watches before I had a pager or phone.

One cannot always judge a book by it's cover :wink:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I love good mechanical watches (the mechanism fascinate me) but I'm tough on watches and I beat up one beautiful Fortis chronograph so now I wear cheap Japanese automatics. I was once one of those people that wouldn't wear a watch but that was a lifetime ago.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This is just my opinion and philosophy on time mind you. I'm sure many will disagree.
It dosen't have to be a watch per-se, but some way to tell time. There seems to be two types of people in the world, people who are always on time and people who are never on time. When someone is late for an appointment with me they are telling me that I am not important to them. That whatever they were doing is more important than me. Obviously this dosen't sit well. When my son graduated from U of A. I gave him a new Rolex for graduation. This was to remind him that TIME is the most precious commodity we as people will ever have. We are born into the world with so much time and no more. And nobody knows how much they have. For you or anybody else to give me your time is the best gift you can give. You can't by time, you can't get time back. It's the only real thing you ever really have that you can give to someone.
Someone who has no feeling for time is a totally self-absorbed individual who expects the whole world to wait on them. Thats my thought on time.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Amen brother Viragos. I hate it when someone makes an appointment with me but is so inconsiderate they show up late. I was used to the military idea that when there was an announcement that something was to occur at a certain time, that was the exact time that it happend. Showing up 5 or 10 minutes late wasn't acceptable - unless you are the general. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wore a watch up until I got a hot conductor from a 208 volt 3-phase circuit hung up on it. Yes it was "hot". yes I was electrocuted. No, I don't wear a watch any longer. I don't miss work, I even work alot of extra overtime, whether asked to or not. I do my best to ensure the company that I work for has everything under control before I hit the punchclock. I did not wear a watch to my interview, and if they didn't hire me because of that one factor, I think they'd have been missing out on a good man. Just my thoughts on it, I don't mean to sound too abrasive....

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I agree and go along with what you said Viragos, but I break appointments all the time. And it's not because they are not important to me. I'm a contractor and more often than not, elements out of my control really reap havoc with my schedule. For instance, if I tell someone that I have a weeks worth of work left on an old job then I do your job but it rains 4 days out of the week, there is no way to honor my schedule without leaving the first job unattended. One job we did this summer was scheduled for 2 months, ended up taking 6. Alot of rain, unexpected weakness of structure that had to be fixed all contributed to this. But I've found that 99% of the people that we worked for we're OK with this as long as we contacted them and told them about the delays. Sometimes you gotta roll with the punches.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use to wear one some back in the day, problem is I worked alot in grocery stores and in the food service. Alot of times when your handling food a watch could get in the way. Sometimes when your preparing food they don't want you to have anything like that on. Wedding ring is the only exception.

Its not that I dislike them, its just due to some jobs I got out of the habit of wearing them.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TIME is the most precious commodity we as people will ever have.
Viragos, that was a splendid observation!

Man, I'm glad I left myself an out by saying I would ask a job prospect what time it was. If he pulled out a cell phone and gave it to me, that would probably satisfy me.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I seldom wear one and I am never late. I am innundated with clocks all around me in dozens of devices.

Better to be an hour early than a minute late.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Custer said:
I seldom wear one and I am never late. I am innundated with clocks all around me in dozens of devices.

Better to be an hour early than a minute late.
Exactly. I am always early and never wear a watch.

Someone who would rather hire someone because they wore a watch or knew the time as opposed to their work ethics and knowledge? You probably wouldn't hire me anyway!

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
This is my watch..
It's not very feminine but I have others when the need arises.Kinda goes with the AK theme!

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I'm never late.

I have two, one is an old pocket watch, mechanical, that I inherited from my grandfather and still works, as a matter of facts, I was using it for a while this year while I waited for my new one to arrive.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I was late for my own wedding.

My lovely bride forgot to bring the flowers for the bridal party and I had to run home and get them. 5 minutes before the wedding started I go running out of the church and two of my friends grab me and try to carry me back in. That's when I told them I was on a flower run.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts