1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wal-Mart Employees Charged With Shooting Stray Cat on Manager's Orders
The Associated Press
Published: Dec 30, 2004

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Two Wal-Mart employees who police say followed a manager's orders to shoot and kill a stray cat have been charged with federal animal cruelty.
The men, both assistant managers at the Supercenter, were arrested and released after a court appearance Wednesday. Christopher Anderson, 29, and Jeffrey Hardin, 21, told police the store's manager ordered them to get rid of the animal that was living in a storage trailer behind their store.

All managers potentially involved in the incident have been suspended without pay pending an internal investigation and could be fired, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Sharon Weber.

"We were outraged when we learned of this incident. This kind of action is completely inconsistent with the way we do business," she said.

A truck driver who reported the incident said he saw store employees placing what he believed to be a dead animal in shrink wrap a day after he heard workers joking about shooting the cat.

Store manager Darrel Weitzel told police he had told some of his employees to get a gun and get rid of the cat after attempts to coax it from the trailer failed, according to a police report.

Anderson and Hardin were scheduled for a hearing Jan. 4.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First, I'm not convinced that shooting a stray cat is animal cruelty by any definition. I shot a feral cat that was coming in my house, eating my cat's food, pissing on everything, beating up my cat, and then leaving. I saw nothing wrong with doing that.

Second, there's an interesting legalism here, Custer, an issue you and I have talked around and about in a number of contexts: Constitutional authority for exercise of Federal power. I just can't wait to find out what part of the Constitution authorizes the Federal government to regulate how we treat cats.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Heaven forbid if anyone buy and use a mousetrap!

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I get mice trying to move into my home every fall. Is using decon animal cruelty?

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Anyone know waht statute these guys are being charged under? I just searched the US Code and found nothing applicable.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked and came up with a zero.

You can never tell with the papers these days. Accuracy is no longer their strong suit.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What Is Federal Animal Cruelty???

Letting Hillary go to the zoo.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Lupeloff said:
What Is Federal Animal Cruelty???

Letting Hillary go to the zoo.
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I take my hat off to the master!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts