Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess Aviator can say miles and miles, for for most of us, I wonder. Is it ever more thatn a few hundred yards?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Iteresting thought, maybe some out west have been a ways from people but I probably haven't been more than maybe a mile from someone and that is out on a lake in a boat by myself.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would venture a guess that at most I have been around 15 miles (as the crow walks) from the nearest person.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Miles and miles, spent a lot of time alone in the Mojave desert.

Someday I'll post pics of it when we can post larger pics.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Many moons ago, while working on my undergrad degree in Zoology, I had a permit from the state of Wyoming to collect reptiles. I went into a few parts of the southern part of the state, where I BELIEVE I was the only person for about 15-20 miles. I don't know for sure, but I know it was pretty isolated and I didn't see any dwellings, vehicles, or people.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hard to say, the desert dont tell no tales, And I only recently got a GPS...
Oh, Does a dog count?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Interesting question. I used to go backpacking alone when I was younger, and while I certainly felt very isolated, as I think of it, even in the most hard-to-reach areas of the Sierra wilderness I probably was never more than 10 miles away from another human being as the crow flies.

BTW, backpacking alone is quite dangerous and shows very poor judgment because if anything happens to you, what would have been an emergency (e.g. a broken leg, a rattlesnake bite) has now become a likely fatality. I highly recommend it. Good for your head to go a week or so without speaking to another human, and it's amazing how much wildlife you see if you're not yattering to someone else.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I have been hundreds of miles away from anything that resembles civilization, but not alone, now while flying, as you said quite often.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I highly recommend it. Good for your head to go a week or so without speaking to another human, and it's amazing how much wildlife you see if you're not yattering to someone else.

Agreed. I try to go a couple times a year, I dont get a whole week but 3 days will work wonders..

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I used to go out in the back country looking for arrowheads when I was stationed at Sierra Army Depot in Northern California. I'd be many, many miles from anyone a lot of the time. I kinda enjoyed not hearing any sounds from humans except for possibly an occasional airplane passing overhead. Every now and then I'd find an old horseshoe or a rusty shovel handle or something else that was discarded out in the middle of nowhere. . I could sit down and take a sip of water and look around and imagine how that object may have gotten there.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I felt pretty isolated at a Democratic fund raiser I was forced to attend a few years back.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Smeg,

You posted while I was writing. You said you were in the Sierra's. Where at?

Here's where I went out in the outback a lot:

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I used to work security for a geo seismic survey company. I'd go places where BFE was considered in town :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
It depends on who the person is. You will need be more specific.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo said:
Smeg,

You posted while I was writing. You said you were in the Sierra's. Where at?

Here's where I went out in the outback a lot:

I've spend a fair amount of time in Truckee, CA up in the Donner Lake area.
I've also used to spend a lot of time in Reno and all the way out to Lovelock.

Now that I think of it, you could be pretty far from other humans once you got out in the Humboldt Sink area or the 40 mile desert even if you were in a car.

Did you ever fish Pyramid Lake for cutthroat trout? It looks lake a lake you would expect to find on the moon or mars.

Smeg may want to keep it private, but from previous posts I have always thought he lives in the Fernly area or maybe out toward Fallon.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I've been a little farther south in the White Mountians
The Bristlecone Pines are worth the trip to visit.

Attachments

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer,

Yep, I've fished just about every lake and puddle of water in that area. My wife had just had our 2nd son, and she stayed back in Indiana. I was there for only 12 months, so I was there by myself, and spent most of my time that I had off out in the desert or in one of the national forests. I always thought it would be nice to live in that area. Some of the prettiest country in the US.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I was offered a job out there by my old company 5 years ago but turned it down.

Had it been offered when my kids were young and with us I would have gone in a heartbeat. I loved it out there.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Live in the desert between Carson City and Fallon (the Top Gun flight school is just outside Fallon). Alas, the desert is increasingly looking like suburbia these days, but I can still pee out my front door and shoot out the back door without the neighbors minding.

My favorite places to backpack were the Carson Iceberg Wilderness, just a bit south the the SouthWest corner of Pogo's map, and in the Las Padres National Forest between Big Sur and the Hearst Estate a few miles in from the Central California coast. The former was rocks, lakes, and pines; the latter was creeks, oaks, and rattlesnakes.

Haven't fished Pyramid Lake. Haven't yet figured out how Nevada manages to have lakes that I find to be ugly: They tend to be a body of water in a moonscape, with no trees anywhere. I have heard, however, that Pyramid has some very serious fish in it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Haven't fished Pyramid Lake. Haven't yet figured out how Nevada manages to have lakes that I find to be ugly: They tend to be a body of water in a moonscape, with no trees anywhere. I have heard, however, that Pyramid has some very serious fish in it.
You bribe the Piautes with an extra 20 bucks and one might let you fish in their sacred area. IIRC the spot is called the Pins. You won't mind throwing back 23" trout when you hit the big ones.

Smeg, that lake is gorgeous when you are on it. Unworldly.

Someone once told me the reason the lakes are so much like moonscapes is that the water if too alkaline for trees and shrubs. Like the sinks, a lot of them do not drain into the ocean. It either evaporates or just sits there even though much of the water originates in the Sierras.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts