Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of finish (for the bare metal receiver) is the best/most durable to finish your completed ak project. I used a tapco 80% receiver flat. I am getting ahead of myself, but I am trying to get all the tools and materials that I need for the project together.
thanks again, Tobacco Man

·
Registered
286 Posts
Myself I prefer to parkerize them and then paint them with your spray on coating of choice. I have used Norrel's Molyresin finish and it works great, I have some Dura Coat that I want to try next. I am trying out the Dura Coat because they say that it is not necessary to bake the finish on and that if you let it cure for a week it will be just as good as cooking it for an hour or so. I have had great results with the Moly Resin stuff from Norrel's but it is a pain in the butt if you do not have a dedicated oven set up for it that will handle 30"+ barreled receivers. Both of these products require the use of some kind of airbrush or spray gun. Your other options if you don't want to hassle with an airbrush is to buy some Guncoat in the spray can from Brownell's or some Alumahyde II from the same place. The Alumahyde is meant to be sprayed on and dried/cured at room temp over a weeks time or so. The Guncoat is like the Moly Resin in that it needs the heat of an oven to cure properly. If you are going to go with a paint on finish you will most likely need the aid of a bead blast cabinet to strip the old finish. If you want to try your hand at phosphating (parkerizing) then you will need a blast cabinet for sure, as well as a host of other tools to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
yes park and paint . I prefer to even bake the paint on. you end up with a finish that will not come off. I have not used the duracoat. so with that I am totaly aggreeing with rule308

1 - 4 of 4 Posts