Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about with a six shooter. How many of you know the answer to that question?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, not even close. :2guns:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Roy Rogers. :smoke:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still not close. :horse:

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
James Arness????

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Glenn Ford did a movie with a title close to Fastest Gun Alive (or in the west??) so I am going to say him.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are thinking it's a white man aren't you? :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got part of the name right Custer.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Birth Name:
Gwyllyn Samuel Newton Ford

Date Of Birth: 1st May 1916

Place Of Birth:
Sainte-Christine, Quebec, Canada

Height: 5? 11?

Spouses:
Eleanor Powell (1943 - 1959)
Kathryn Hays (?)
Cynthia Hayward (1974 - ?)

Film Debut:
?Night In Manhattan? (1937)

Signature Film:
?Blackboard Jungle? (1955)

Trivia: Just like his film, ?The Fastest Gun Alive?, Glenn was considered to be ?the fastest gun? in hollywood westerns, even faster than John Wayne & James Arness of ?Gunsmoke? fame.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In 1955, Hugh O?Brian starred in a TV series, "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp," which became a hit and survived for over 200 shows. It didn?t go into syndication after 1960, so we don?t see it on cable. It was sensationally popular at the time. Stewart Lake got what every author wants: a bonanza a quarter century after his book is published. Lake legally licensed everything with Wyatt Earp?s name on it: lunch boxes, toy guns, the works.

Side note: O?Brian decided to go the whole nine yards (the length of a .50 caliber machine-gun ammo belt in World War II) with his new TV persona. He took up fast-draw shooting. I can recall, 40 years later, a story about his skill. He could draw and fire in four-tenths of a second. As a graduate of Col. Jeff Cooper?s combat handgunning course, let me tell you, that?s fast. O?Brian issued a challenge to any cowboy movie actor to beat him in a timed, filmed draw. Nobody took him up on it. But one man could have, the fastest man in Hollywood?s West:

Sammy Davis, Jr. Sammy reputedly could do "the trick": extend his hand, put a glass on top of it, pull back his hand, draw, fire, and shatter the glass before it hit the ground. He was ranked third or fourth nationally in quick draw competition, which was the rage in the late 1950?s. As he used to say, "It only takes one good eye to shoot."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north160.html

You get the chance, read the info in the link above. Quite interesting. :)

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My parents bought me the Wyatt Earp outfit when I was a kid.

He quit showbiz and started a youth leadership training organization which I think is still in operation. A couple of my friends in HS won the opportunity to go there.

I forget what it was called but it was quite a prestige award.

Sammy Davis Jr. I never would have guessed that.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm starting to really get into this Cowboy Action Shooting. I've been doing some research on it, and it is very interesting to me.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Thanks, Pogo.

And, by the way, that outfit was the only time in my life where I wore a string tie....

If I get hooked on cowboy action shooting, maybe I found my costume.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"String Tie" - Hey, that's a great idea. I might just have to get me one of those. Perhaps with a big piece of jade or silver or something.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I also understand that Audie Murphy was quite a hand with a six-gun as well. He would actually go up in the hills and practice (with live ammo!) quick drawing and target shooting. I believe he was given a set of Colt Peacemakers by the Colt factory on a tour. He made a number of pretty cheesy 50's westerns before his death.
If you've ever read his book, he had a classic case of survivor's guilt and probably a severe case of PTSD, before that phrase was even coined.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts