Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And to think Cornell is considered a top flight university.

NEWS
LBG Studies Program Celebrates 10 Years
December 01, 2004
by Rebecca Shoval
Sun Staff Writer
The Lesbian, Bisexual, and Gay studies program marked its 10th anniversary with a two-day conference held on Nov. 19 and 20 that was entitled "The Queer's English."

The event opened with a speech by Provost Biddy Martin. Seven Cornell alumni also spoke about their work in the field of LBG studies.

"It was amazing to see how successful and wonderful our graduate students were and have current students interact with them," said Prof. Amy Villarejo, feminist, gender, and sexuality studies, and former chair of the LBG studies program.

The LBG studies program is run under the umbrella of the feminist, gender, and sexuality studies department, and is devoted to the role sexuality plays in social relations. The program also looks at the lives, politics, and work of sexual minorities.

10 years ago, graduate students in German studies, English and other literary fields combined with a group of faculty who wanted to distinguish gender studies from the study of sexuality to start the LBG studies program.

"It is unusual to...have most of the programs activity to be driven by graduate students and graduate students' interests," Villarejo said.

LBG studies courses are interdisciplinary and appear in departments such as anthropology, history, and government. Graduate students are able to receive minors in the field of LBG studies while undergraduate students may obtain concentrations. Courses include titles such as FGSS 432: Sex in French and FGSS 477: Intersections in Lesbian Fiction.

The LBG studies program hopes to increase visibility for queer scholarship and issues in the future. The program already puts on many campus events such as speakers, colloquia and major conferences in the field.

Though the program faculty feel that LBG studies are well accepted as a true discipline on campus, the curriculum has had some critics who criticize certain classes for being too sexually explicit.

"[The class serves to] undermine preconceived notions about what...sexuality is, and what it means to love or desire," said Prof. Ellis Hanson, English, who chairs the LBG studies program.

"The Queer's English" was sponsored by the English department, the feminist, gender and sexuality studies department, the Office of the Provost and the Society for the Humanities.

http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/12/01/41ad6469998dc

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Sounds like George C. Scott, who played Mordecai Jones in the movie "Flim Flam Man". He said he had MBS, CS, and DDD degrees - Master of Back-Stabbin', Cork-Screwin' and Dirty Double-Dealin'

p.s. A great movie. If you ever get a chance, watch it.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I should think this puts gay-bashers in an interesting quandary. Either...

1. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual folks are different from straight folks, so it makes sense to establish a Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual curriculum to study those differences for much the same reason that it makes sense to discriminate against folks on those grounds; or

2. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual folks are fundamentally no different from straight folks, so it makes no sense to discriminate against folks based upon those illusory differences for the same reason it makes no sense to establish a separate Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual curriculum.

Pick one. No third alternative of which I am aware.

But gay activists are in a similar quandary:

1. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual folks are fundamentally no different than anyone else, so having a separate Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual curriculum is stupid for the same reason that discrimination against folks on these grounds is stupid; or

2. Gay, lesbian, and bisexual folks are different from other folks, so discrimination on those grounds makes sense for the same reason that having a separate Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual curriculum makes sense.

Again, no third choice.

Myself, I'm among those who consider a separate curriculum and discrimination to both be stupid.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And how do you feel about black studies or women's studies?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
And how do you feel about black studies or women's studies?
Excellent question, Custer.

Short version is that when I had the misfortune of being a starving college student and those majors were just coming into being as options, they struck me as inherently boring and marginal majors that I had no interest in pursuing.

Yet I did find interesting, and did take, stuff like a linguistics class on the effect of Blacks upon American English and on the Gullah dialect. And took an excellent English class on the effect that women have had upon periodical literature (i.e. magazines). And, as a WWII buff, I would find interesting a class on utilization of women's labor during WWII (arguably one of the reasons we won the war, and the failure to utilize women's labor arguably being why the Germans got into slave labor.)

I think my instincts were right at that time: Classes on contributions of a specific class of people upon a subject make sense. But the class of people isn't the subject, isn't the major.

Anyway, seems to me that a major in Black Studies, Women's Studies, or Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Studies would be a great foundation for a career in which you'd be asking folks if they want fries with that order.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Smeg,

I take it that you also graduated with MBS, CS, and DDD degrees.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember when they introduced a major in Peace Studies when I was in college.

I have reviewed thousands of resumes in my career and never saw one with that major. Guess if those are the things you majored in you have to lie on your resume.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
Smeg,

I take it that you also graduated with MBS, CS, and DDD degrees.
Oh, fine, Pogo. Go ahead and make me feel stupid. Doesn't bother me a bit. Creep.

OK, I give up, what do MBS, CS, and DDD stand for?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
...Guess if those are the things you majored in you have to lie on your resume.
It'd be rather odd to have a college diploma that you had to deal with the same way as if you had a felony conviction!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, Pogo. I'm a film buff and a GC Scott fan.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
It'd be rather odd to have a college diploma that you had to deal with the same way as if you had a felony conviction!
Yeah, but I think it happens.

I am seeing resumes where the student lists a business degree and sometimes when we check he actually majored in Recreation Managment.

No joke. That is becoming a popular degree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts