Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Lenin to a pickle. I hear Reagan laughing.

Eccentric Monuments Replace Overturned Lenin Busts
MOSNEWS.com - Russia ^ | 12/10/2004 | Polina Moroz

In Moscow, a sculpture of a pickle will commemorate one of Russia?s beloved snacks. 38 designs were judged by Muscovites in a popular vote for the most original concept. Ten finalists were selected for the second round, after which the winner will be cast in bronze. The contest is organized by the Knyazev production center which wants to unveil the statue as ?a monument to a truly Russian snack?.

Constructing random monuments is all the rage in Russia. After decades of the obligatory statues of Lenin and Stalin on every town?s main square, people are acquiring a taste for sculptures that honor everyday things or overlooked characters from Russian culture.

Famous poet Alexander Pushkin is an ever popular monument item, and a cultural figure that is a constant source of folklore. However, a new sculpture in Pskov region depicts not the poet, but a hare that supposedly ran across Pushkin?s path in 1825, when Pushkin was fleeing exile to St. Petersburg. Being the superstitious Russian that he was, Pushkin changed plans considering the hare a bad omen. Good for him, since it saved him from participating in the Decembrist uprising against the regime that led many of his friends to the scaffold. 175 years later Russians honor the hare for stopping Pushkin and giving him 13 more years of productive writing. Despite the hare?s efforts, Pushkin didn?t live to see 40: he was killed in a duel in 1837.

One new statue in the Moscow metro commemorates the misery of all homeless dogs. Entitled ?Empathy?, the dog sculpture is situated in a metro passage where two years ago a stray dog was viciously butchered by 22-year-old model Juliana Romanova. Romanova reportedly set her Staffordshire terrier on the dog, and then stabbed it six times with a kitchen knife. She was later declared insane and locked up in a mental hospital. The statue is in memory of all mistreated canines and depicts a dog sitting on a granite pedestal and scratching out fleas.

Other new projects feature products that are symbolic for a particular city, or beloved Russian foods. One such sculpture will be a tribute to the processed cheese ?Druzhba? (friendship). This year the cheese turns 40 years old, and many consider it a true symbol of the Soviet era.

In Minusinsk, Krasnoyarsk Region, the mayor announced a contest for the best design of a tomato sculpture, to be set up on the central square. In Novgorod, pensioner Nikolai Zaryadov has constructed a makeshift potato monument in his home village: a two meter pipe with a large rock, presumably a potato, on top. At the foot of this potato shrine is the inscription ?Thank you Columbus, thank you Peter the Great, for our beloved vegetable!? Zaryadov says he constructed the sculpture so that the current generation of Russians can remember that the vegetable saved millions of people from starvation.

Why the sudden urge to put up quirky statues? The city hall of Angarsk (north-east Russia), which plans to construct a sculpture of a marmot, wants to ?attract tourists and to put people in a good mood?, but there are also historical and cultural causes.

In an interview with Rossiiskaya Gazeta, the assistant director of the Tretyakov gallery, Alexander Morozov, commented on this new trend for monument construction: ?We have an urge to fill our daily lives with signs and symbols that bring back memories. I think this initiative comes from the people themselves. We never had any pop art when it was popular in the U.S.? Indeed, monuments in Russia were traditionally meaningful and demanded reverence, since the subject matter was always serious: first, war memorials, then statues of communist leaders and famous writers.

Monuments always have a symbolic power over public space, and their history has social, not just artistic, significance. In the Moscow suburb where I grew up there was always a statue of Lenin next to the local ?House of Culture?. First he lost his hand, then his head. Then overnight Lenin disappeared. The empty pedestal was too shocking for the local communists, and they addressed the local city government for some kind of replacement. The local city government came up with the brilliant idea of crowning two old pipes with a small white Lenin head. This hideous construction was toppled in a matter of weeks and the whole monument replaced with a flowerbed. Goodness knows what will appear next; a turnip? We wait in fear.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think the statue of the hare and of the dog sound pretty cool, and each expresses a really nice sentiment.

But a monument to processed cheese?

This is kinda neat, though. I think of Russia as being the Home of the Bleak, so it's pretty cool that the Russian people are coming up with something to brighten their lives.

And, needless to say, as a good lefty I'm a big supporter of public art. I liked what the public did when the city government came up with the bright idea of putting an affront to the public on a pedestal next to the House of Culture. Some of the stuff that passes for public art in the US is equally an affront.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In consideration of the female to male ratio over there, the pickle may have greater meaning than just that of a snack food. Oink.

I hear that in Brazil, the ratio of female to male countrywide is 7 to 1, and even in Rio it is 3 to 1. Now the Brazilian women don't hold a candle to the Russian women in the beauty category, but 7 to 1, Dude!

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Sometimes a Pickel...is just a Pickel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Uh oh, I fear an outbreak of Arlo Guthrie coming up.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
gordon gauge said:
In consideration of the female to male ratio over there, the pickle may have greater meaning than just that of a snack food. Oink.

I hear that in Brazil, the ratio of female to male countrywide is 7 to 1, and even in Rio it is 3 to 1. Now the Brazilian women don't hold a candle to the Russian women in the beauty category, but 7 to 1, Dude!
Careful. I used to live in Hollywood. The women:men ratio there was also around 7:1. Which was swell, until you began to figure out that the best looking women were men.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I sincerely hope that was not a hands on learning experince for you. :D

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Sounds like Russia needs to get.........what is the name of that fucktard Federally(Taxpayer) funded outfit that uses our money to fund "Art" like Jeasus in a piss filled bottle?Yeah.......one of them.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Well, went you get the government dictating what is or is not allowed to be considered art, you wind up with what the Byzantines and Nazis and Soviets did.

Just plain crap. I'll put up with a cross sitting in a jar of piss once in a while as long as we dont have Uncle Sam or some self-righteous prick like Orrin Hatch, Ralph Reed or Jerry Falwell dictating whart people can paint, draw, or sculpt.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think there is a big difference in the government telling you what you can paint and the government giving you money to paint.

I don't care for either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts