Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st and I want to do some stuff to it. I am not sure what yet, but thought maybe you guys could throw some ideas my way. I am open for about anything at this point.

I thought about keeping it simple and just going all black with a slant brake. I also thought about going tactical with rails and foregrip, etc. My latest thought is all wood with a matching grip and a slant brake. Sort of like the VC used in the Nam.

Is there an easy way to match my blonde handguards with my laminate buttstock? I don't know why the WASR-10's don't match from the factory.

If I went all black, I would probably want to refinish the metal. What is the easiest way to go about this? Also, how do I strip the bluing from the bolt carrier or whatever it is called?

·
Registered
621 Posts
verbatim said:
If I went all black, I would probably want to refinish the metal. What is the easiest way to go about this? Also, how do I strip the bluing from the bolt carrier or whatever it is called?
I'll just answer part of your question, so that I don't dominate the answers that other people want to chime in with, but as far as stripping the bolt carrier, Birchwood Casey makes a product called "Blue and Rust Remover" that works like a charm.

After using this product, wash off the bolt carrier with water (I like to use a degreaser too). Then you are ready to re-blue, polish, or whatever.

Just keep in mind that after you use this product, your bolt carrier will be considered "left in the white" so you need to do something to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice looking collection. Don't know why the factory has such a difference in color between the stock and hand guard. Seems like they could do a better job at matching them. You may be able to find some handguards to match the stock or vice versa. But will be hard to tell till you get them together. You could get another buttstock/handguard set together that match. My thought is just to keep it simple and match the wood and add a slant brake. (thats what I want to do with my sar-1). Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The ar seems better suited to the Tac. look IMO. If it were mine I'd either find some nice matching polish or russian laminate, or go Ironwood.

I've heard good results from brownells alumahyde II. Seems if you follow the directions and degrease THOUROUGHLY you end up with a good looking tough finish.

If you're uneasy about refinishing it yourself, give a shout out to ohio rapidfire. They refinished my slr101 after some custom work and it looks awesome. They do parkerizing as well as a moly-coat finish. I have both on mine, molycoat over park.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
here is my SAR 1all tacticaled out. RSA FCG, AK-74 style MB, PK-AS blackdot scope, Blackjack SWIFT selector lever, Global Trades adj. rear sight, Bulgy plastic furniture and refinished with Brownells Terflon Moly coat.

Mack M.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like trying to duplicate the appearance of military issued guns. All of the Romanian AK's I have seen have black plastic grips on them. What do the military issue Romanians look like? What type of muzzle attachment, metal finish, and furniture?

·
Registered
18 Posts
mbakercad said:
I like trying to duplicate the appearance of military issued guns. All of the Romanian AK's I have seen have black plastic grips on them. What do the military issue Romanians look like? What type of muzzle attachment, metal finish, and furniture?
wood handguards, folding metal buttstock, AK-74 threaded FSB (22mm), red plastic pistolgrip. Same metal finish as your SAR. The SARs series are military rifles without the FA capability, threaded FSB. Some Romanians military AKs use the standard wood striaght butt stock, while some are wire folders and others triangle folders. Many of the Romanian military guns are in fact only semi-auto also.

Mack M.

·
Registered
954 Posts
mack8384 said:
wood handguards, folding metal buttstock, AK-74 threaded FSB (22mm), red plastic pistolgrip. Same metal finish as your SAR. The SARs series are military rifles without the FA capability, threaded FSB. Some Romanians military AKs use the standard wood striaght butt stock, while some are wire folders and others triangle folders. Many of the Romanian military guns are in fact only semi-auto also.

Mack M.
Actually, I do remember seeing the Romanian wire folder stocks. Do they mount to the regular rear trunnion?

What kind of wood on the handguards...laminate or hardwood? Did they use bakelite handguards?

I never heard about the military semi-auto guns.

verbatim,
I vote Romy military clone with fixed wire sidefolding stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mbakercad said:
Actually, I do remember seeing the Romanian wire folder stocks. Do they mount to the regular rear trunnion?

What kind of wood on the handguards...laminate or hardwood? Did they use bakelite handguards?

I never heard about the military semi-auto guns.

verbatim,
I vote Romy military clone with fixed wire sidefolding stock.
the wire folder attaches directly to the rear tang. I've seen pics of Romanian Miltary with both laminated and solid wood handguards. Folders usualy have the P-grip laminated lower guard (facing forward), although I have seen some red steaked plastic P-grip lower handguards.
Most of the local security force grunts have semi-autos, with an assigned squad member and higher ranks carrying FAs.

Mack M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mbakercad said:
Very cool, I just noticed the bolt handle is bent upwards in all the pics. Is that exclusive to the Romanians?
yes, some of the 5.45 guns have turned up bolt handles to facilatate cocking when the sidefolder is folded.

Mack M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mbakercad-I've handled/shot/carried over 2 dozen different Romanianmilitary AKs over the years-this is what I remember. All the 7.62x39 versions were AKM-never seen a Romanian AK 47 though I hear they do exist. We had solid stock AKM, underfolding AKMS, and side folding AKMS carbines. The solid stock AKM all had foward slanting front pistol grips-every AKM I saw had brown(various shades) plastic grips, buttstocks and lower front handguards were laminate-medium brown shade, upper gas tube wood was either solid wood or laminate same color. Bluing on all Romanian were same as on current SARs, all had blued bolt carriers. None had optics brackets on the left-only E. German MPi AKS74 had them. Folding stock AKMS(underfolding MP 40 style stocks) all had rear facing foward grips to clear the folding stock when closed-wood same as the solid stock AKMs. Little 14" barrel AKMS carbines had a mix of foward slanting front grips and regular beaver-tail front handguards-wierd cone flash hider, and side folding stocks. On the regular AKM/AKMS most had the standard slant front break-a few only muzzle nuts.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
954 Posts
gp35fn said:
Mbakercad-I've handled/shot/carried over 2 dozen different Romanianmilitary AKs over the years-this is what I remember. All the 7.62x39 versions were AKM-never seen a Romanian AK 47 though I hear they do exist. We had solid stock AKM, underfolding AKMS, and side folding AKMS carbines. The solid stock AKM all had foward slanting front pistol grips-every AKM I saw had brown(various shades) plastic grips, buttstocks and lower front handguards were laminate-medium brown shade, upper gas tube wood was either solid wood or laminate same color. Bluing on all Romanian were same as on current SARs, all had blued bolt carriers. None had optics brackets on the left-only E. German MPi AKS74 had them. Folding stock AKMS(underfolding MP 40 style stocks) all had rear facing foward grips to clear the folding stock when closed-wood same as the solid stock AKMs. Little 14" barrel AKMS carbines had a mix of foward slanting front grips and regular beaver-tail front handguards-wierd cone flash hider, and side folding stocks. On the regular AKM/AKMS most had the standard slant front break-a few only muzzle nuts.Hope this helps.
gp35fn,
Great post...thanks for the info. I do not have a Romanian rifle...yet. I was asking just to give the original poster some ideas. Most all of the SAR1's I see have wood funiture with black plastic pistol grips. Personally I only like the black plastic when it matches the rest of the furniture.

I think if I did have a SAR that I would go with one of the following stocksets.
http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=270&1=271&3=60
http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=270&1=271&3=55

1 - 14 of 14 Posts