Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to building and was wondering what way to push out the barrrel pin on an amd-65 or any ak for that matter? should I push it from the left side or from the right side? What side did they originaly push them in from?

Thanks.

·
1,763 Posts
There may be some differing sets of opinions on this but what I do is press it out and in the same direction. Once it's pressed it leaves a small ridge on the side it comes out, so pressing it back in that direction would possibly cause some scarring of the pin. So effectively out which way is easiest and back in from the same side. (so the gun is always laying on the same side)
As far as originally, I have no clue. You may can look at the pin and see one side slightly beveled, I would say it went in from that side.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
From what I have been able to find out on the subject, the preferred way to remove them is left to right, the opposite from the way they were originally installed which was right to left.
Which would also be the way to re install it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
7.62x39 said:
From what I have been able to find out on the subject, the preferred way to remove them is left to right, the opposite from the way they were originally installed which was right to left.
To be honest, almost everything I learned was from 7.62X39. I agree with him, it's the way I've been doing it also. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
7.62x39 said:
Is that looking from where the bullet comes out or the chamber ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I have read someone said the thing to remember was the phrase LEFT OUT.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
crffl said:
Is that looking from where the bullet comes out or the chamber ?

When you are aiming the weapon down range, the left is the left and the right is the right. Remove pins left to right, install pins right to left.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have done it both ways and it seems to make no difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It makes no difference. The pin is not tapered and the hole shouldn't be either. I use Xebec's plate setup to press them in and out and it only works in one direction. Never had a problem and I've done at least 12 that way. Just use moly paste or anti-sieze on the parts when reassembling them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I go from right too left. And I've never had a problem with mine.
I don't think it really matters. On "6" of my builds no pins were tapered.
Check it with a "Vernier" and calibrate if you're still unsure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You asked where it should go IN from....

Opposite side from where you pressed it out.

OK - now, where do you press it out? Contrary to all the myths, there IS no "Correct" side.... you need to determine where it was pressed IN, then go in reverse. For this data, look CAREFULLY at the pin - one of the sides will usually show more intense surface markings, indicating stress durring instalation. When you find it? Press OUT in reverse - and expect to need the full 12 tons of force that your press can deliver. AMD65 pins are some of the tightest pins out there.... it took me less than HALF of this force to remove typical Bulgy '74 pins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't see any taper or differences in my pins dimensions. What I do is look for signs on the pin where one side has been struck/flattened and then remove it by driving it from the opposite side. Always use a starter punch first before you use a pin punch.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Just to clear this up..

No, there is no taper and the pin CAN be pressed from either side.
As I stated earlier, the PREFERRED method is to press them out from left to right.
This is the opposite of the way they were originally installed.

Anytime you have a interference fit, it is best to drive it out from the opposite direction, then reinstall it exactly as it was originally (same side, same direction)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts